Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rust removal

Acquired a LOT of HO scale slot car track recently. The rails and end
connections are rusty, some very little, others, a lot. Need
recommendations on the best, non-abrasive way to remove this, without
damaging the styrene track itself. Preferably non-toxic.
--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 May 2011 20:52:52 -0400, Steve Walker
wrote:

Acquired a LOT of HO scale slot car track recently. The rails and end
connections are rusty, some very little, others, a lot. Need
recommendations on the best, non-abrasive way to remove this, without
damaging the styrene track itself. Preferably non-toxic.

=======
Try electrolytic de rusting. Should be a piece of cake if
you have a battery charger, plastic tub or dish pan, and
some bicarb or washing soda

http://www.icehouse.net/overland/derusting.html
http://www.remap-internet.org.uk/rem...tic+De-Rusting
http://modeleng.proboards.com/index.... &page=1#46588

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...6&d=1091999023

Be sure to let the group know what you use and how you make
out.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Acquired a LOT of HO scale slot car track recently. The rails and end
connections are rusty, some very little, others, a lot. Need
recommendations on the best, non-abrasive way to remove this, without
damaging the styrene track itself. Preferably non-toxic.
--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)

I use Ted Edward's method of electrolytic removal, with a swab. It's
especially good for delicate work.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...es/E-CLEAN.TXT

The formula is a little complicated, and I don't know if it's all really
necessary. But I follow it explicitly. If you can't find lye, ask. Or search
on "Red Devil Lye." It's no longer available from Red Devil, but I buy mine
from a company in FL that sells plastic bottles of straight lye, and I found
them with that search.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote in
:

Acquired a LOT of HO scale slot car track recently. The rails and end
connections are rusty, some very little, others, a lot. Need
recommendations on the best, non-abrasive way to remove this, without
damaging the styrene track itself. Preferably non-toxic.

Find some Evapo-Rust

It's available at soem better hardware stores, AutoZone, & Harbor Freight.
Shop around, prices tend to vary considerably.

Afterward, rinse with denatured alcohol.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Acquired a LOT of HO scale slot car track recently. The rails and end
connections are rusty, some very little, others, a lot. Need
recommendations on the best, non-abrasive way to remove this, without
damaging the styrene track itself. Preferably non-toxic.

=======
Try electrolytic de rusting. Should be a piece of cake if
you have a battery charger, plastic tub or dish pan, and
some bicarb or washing soda

http://www.icehouse.net/overland/derusting.html
http://www.remap-internet.org.uk/rem...tic+De-Rusting
http://modeleng.proboards.com/index.... &page=1#46588

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...6&d=1091999023

Be sure to let the group know what you use and how you make
out.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)

Come to think of it..Ive got a fair amount of HO tracks and rolling
stock out in the Stacks O Stuff.

Anyone want it? Pay shipping.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

About how much would shipping be to 33569?

--
-eben P royalty.mine.nu:81

Logic is a systematic method of coming to
the wrong conclusion with confidence.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 14 May 2011 09:03:43 -0700

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)

Come to think of it..Ive got a fair amount of HO tracks and rolling
stock out in the Stacks O Stuff.

Anyone want it?

Yes!

Pay shipping.

Nertts, I knew there would be a catch. Unless my rich uncle gets
out of the poor house, or I get a good job soon, I'm SOF.

"Never Mind."

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I guess this could be a somewhat complex problem. It isn't just the steel
that is rusted, but it must have been plated with something to aid in
conducting electricity and you probably don't want to destroy that.
I know a guy who seriously collects erector sets and he uses an oxalic
acid solution to de-rust the plated parts. I tried it on some of my erector
set stuff and it seems to work pretty well. I think I bought a container of
about one pint in size of oxalic acid powder. Don't remember the
concentration, but it wasn't very critical. You might also try "Bartender's
Friend", which, I think, also contains oxalic acid and is sold at almost any
grocery store. It's for cleaning stainless steel kitchen tools.

As with anything like this, try a sample of your intended process before
tossing the whole works in the tub.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 May 2011 18:25:56 -0400, (Hactar)
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Figure about 7 lbs..just a guess from 93268

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 May 2011 20:04:32 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sat, 14 May 2011 09:03:43 -0700

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)

Come to think of it..Ive got a fair amount of HO tracks and rolling
stock out in the Stacks O Stuff.

Anyone want it?

Yes!

Pay shipping.

Nertts, I knew there would be a catch. Unless my rich uncle gets
out of the poor house, or I get a good job soon, I'm SOF.

"Never Mind."

tschus
pyotr

You want it? Ill see how much there is, and in the mean time..email me
your shipping address.

Im sure I can turn in some pop bottles or something and pay the shipping

After spending a couple weeks at the homestead..you know me well enough
by now.

And I consider you a Friend.

Thats good enough for me.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 15, 3:39*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2011 20:04:32 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Im sure I can turn in some pop bottles or something and pay the shipping

Don't you have any beer bottles? I hear they are worth more.
Especially
when full! :-)

DOC

Will work for beer...
http://bogusbeer.appspot.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 May 2011 09:12:30 -0700 (PDT), doc
wrote:

On May 15, 3:39*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2011 20:04:32 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Im sure I can turn in some pop bottles or something and pay the shipping

Don't you have any beer bottles? I hear they are worth more.
Especially
when full! :-)

DOC

VBG

Actually..no I dont. I dont drink, and have been allergic to the hops
in beer all my life, so dont drink beer most of all.

Shrug...

Will work for beer...
http://bogusbeer.appspot.com

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:

Acquired a LOT of HO scale slot car track recently. The rails and end
connections are rusty, some very little, others, a lot. Need
recommendations on the best, non-abrasive way to remove this, without
damaging the styrene track itself. Preferably non-toxic.

Try Evap-o-rust found at autozone. It seems rather benign. My boss found a use for it
removing flash rust on our ground shafts.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 15 May 2011 03:39:27 -0700
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sat, 14 May 2011 09:03:43 -0700

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)

Come to think of it..Ive got a fair amount of HO tracks and rolling
stock out in the Stacks O Stuff.

Anyone want it?

Yes!

Pay shipping.

Nertts, I knew there would be a catch. Unless my rich uncle gets
out of the poor house, or I get a good job soon, I'm SOF.

"Never Mind."

You want it? Ill see how much there is, and in the mean time..email me
your shipping address.

No rush, and I'll do that.

Im sure I can turn in some pop bottles or something and pay the shipping

After spending a couple weeks at the homestead..you know me well enough
by now.

And I consider you a Friend.

Thanks. Which is why I'm also ... not wanting to take advantage
of a friend. And .. right now I'm not sure about getting more stuff,
at least till I get income again.

Thats good enough for me.

Yep. me too. Let me figure out where I'd put anything (I got
into the bins of stuff while I was moving to Spokane - those cans of
worms need to be repack just so I can turn around!

Gunner

rust removal RDT Woodworking 10 August 10th 05 04:43 AM
rust removal Boots Woodworking 17 April 4th 05 05:27 AM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM
rust removal nattydreadlocks Metalworking 8 September 10th 04 10:54 AM
Rust removal... Rich Naples Metalworking 1 October 3rd 03 01:26 PM