Old September 11th 04, 12:25 PM
Gunner

Default Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms

With the good graces of our esteemed colleague Leigh from MarMachine,
Im now the proud owner of a Real Trailer.

My old and very tired 4x8 box trailer was on its last legs when Leigh
called and let me know he had found a 5x10 tilt bed single axle
trailer for me rotting away in some fellows back yard.

A fast trade for Stuff transpired.

The trailer has lights and old but still functional wiring, and all
the wood decking was gone.
After replacing the rotted tires, and temporarily installing 1" thick
plywood deck (Leigh again) I brought it home tonight. The critter
pulls like a dream, and after a bit of practice backing it up around a
parking lot, I found its very agile and controllable. This thing is
gonna be a goodie!!!

The trailer was commercially made and at one time pin striped and
probably painted red..but now is pretty much a solid sheet of very
thin rust.

Probably the best thing to do is find a tank blaster and have it sand
blasted, but other than a cup brush and a day grinding the rust off,
are there any other options? Some chemical or paint that will stop
the rust and coat existing rust? Its very well made with lots of
angle iron and channel and its gonna be a real PITA to wire wheel it
clean.

Just pondering. Pretty is not important. Utility and cheap is. G

One last thing. Its a tilt bed. Pull the pin and the bed tilts. Now
this is a very nice thing for machine tools. But I was pondering the
fact I might put a big lathe (for example) on it and not be able to
get it perfectly balanced..how the heck do I get the bed back to level
again? Or the other issue..if the heavy thingy is a bit far
forwards..how to I lift the bed to tilt?

Im sure someone here has addressed this before..so before I go all
Rube Goldberg and reinvent the Framistan Feebelfexer 9000 All Tilt
Gizmatcho...anyone got any good ideas? Trailer is rated at 5000lb
according to tounge stamp,,but its only a single axle..so figure
2000-2500 max load.

Im quite proud of the way I put in the decking. It involved a
forklift, hoisting slings and 210lbs of dead weight G

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Old September 11th 04, 12:54 PM
john johnson

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

I can answer one question, how to make it tilt. Get a really good set of
wheel chocks, chock the trailer wheels so they can't move, then slowly
reverse. Works the other way too, chock the front of the wheels and pull
forward, it'll come level again. Slow is the go, if it jumps the chocks,
it'll end in tears.

regards,

John

Old September 11th 04, 01:09 PM
Don Foreman

Rust Mort, put out by SEM. Look for it at an autobody supply place that
sells auto paints. I like this stuff *much* better than Extend. I used
it for well over a decade of rust work on MN cars. A quart of it runs
about $15.00 now. A quart would do several trailers and a truck or two as
well.

Knock off loose flaking rust (if any) with a quick trip around with a cup
brush. Then slop on the rustmort with a brush or whatever. It's
water-based stuff; just slop it on with a cheap brush you won't miss.
(Wear rubber gloves and goggles) Let it work until stuff turns black, but
don't let it dry. If it starts to dry, slop on some more. When it's
"done" (5 minutes to an hour) hose it off good. When it's dry, shoot
it with primer. I like zinc-rich primer like Instant Cold Galvanize.
Grainger has one for $3.88 per rattlecan. 6KP26
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...042780&ccitem=
It's no good at all if you plan to shoot color, but it works fine as is.
It's what I used on my 5x9 3000lb trailer.

Old September 11th 04, 05:52 PM
Machineman

Gunner
What about hooking up a small hand cranked boat winch and a couple of
pulleys to the back of the tilt deck and you can control the drop with
the winch. You will have to have it balanced to the rear for it to work
though. Unless you could connect the winch to both ends of the tilt bed
and control it both ways??

--
James P Crombie
Slemon Park, PEI

http://www.jamescrombie.com

Old September 11th 04, 07:45 PM
Pete Logghe

Gunner wrote in message . ..
[...]

For small vehicles, that type of trailer usually has the ability
to swivel the tongue off to the side. This allows the small
vehicle to drive forwards, off the trailer once you pull the pin,
and jackknife the trailer sideways.

I have in the past, used a jack under the front of the trailer,
to allow loading or unloading.
Thats how I got a larger LeBlond home eons ago. Used a come-along
to winch it up the bed, till it tipped down on it's own.
Being __ VERY __ careful at that point... It was just ready
to totter, so just walking up the trailer was all that was
needed to tip it up, and install the pin.
The come along could then move it forward and back to adjust
the tongue weight, and back far enough to release the tonge weight
to unload again.
Nowdays, I call the local cement company, with a large boom truck
and schedule when they are already driving past. Get a 30,000 lbs.
boom truck for a just a few dollars if you are flexible on timing.

Pete
Old September 11th 04, 10:08 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:11:00 -0500, (Jedd Haas) wrote:

Following those links on electrolysis someone posted yesterday, I came
across your exact problem and the solution:
http://antique-engines.com/trailer-electrolysis.htm

Like so much on the antique-engines website, their advice on
electrolysis is highly dubious. Don't use a welder here, the voltage
is far too high. Instead find an old minicomputer PSU and stick to
around 12V.

You can also parallel up a bunch of simple car battery chargers, each
with their own anode.

--
Smert' spamionam
Old September 12th 04, 01:33 AM

[...]