Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete S Pete S is offline

Default Rust removal

I guess this could be a somewhat complex problem. It isn't just the steel
that is rusted, but it must have been plated with something to aid in
conducting electricity and you probably don't want to destroy that.
I know a guy who seriously collects erector sets and he uses an oxalic
acid solution to de-rust the plated parts. I tried it on some of my erector
set stuff and it seems to work pretty well. I think I bought a container of
about one pint in size of oxalic acid powder. Don't remember the
concentration, but it wasn't very critical. You might also try "Bartender's
Friend", which, I think, also contains oxalic acid and is sold at almost any
grocery store. It's for cleaning stainless steel kitchen tools.

As with anything like this, try a sample of your intended process before
tossing the whole works in the tub.

Pete Stanaitis