Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Rust removal

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Acquired a LOT of HO scale slot car track recently. The rails and end
connections are rusty, some very little, others, a lot. Need
recommendations on the best, non-abrasive way to remove this, without
damaging the styrene track itself. Preferably non-toxic.
--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)

I use Ted Edward's method of electrolytic removal, with a swab. It's
especially good for delicate work.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...es/E-CLEAN.TXT

The formula is a little complicated, and I don't know if it's all really
necessary. But I follow it explicitly. If you can't find lye, ask. Or search
on "Red Devil Lye." It's no longer available from Red Devil, but I buy mine
from a company in FL that sells plastic bottles of straight lye, and I found
them with that search.

--
Ed Huntress