Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How fixing a gun gets water softeners moved

The TV in the treadmill room is right next to a window. While walking
on the treadmill today, I glanced out the window and noticed neighbor
Travis in my back yard peering in my family room patio door so I went
to see what he might want. I opened the patio door and got the
trademark Travis grin and "Hi there!" That means he wants something.
I said hi there back. He said he had a little problem that maybe I
might have an idea how to solve. Sure! We went next door.

Wesley's pop gun won't pop. Wesley, 2-1/2, had chewed on the "cork"
(one of those polyethylene capplugs)until it cracked, leaks air, won't
pop. Ah ha. A lathe op. I said yes, I think I might have an idea. I
had him remove the barrel which is probably just ABS water pipe. I
took it to my shop, carefully measured the ID with a telescoping gage
and mike, machined a plug out of delrin a few thou smaller than the ID
of the pipe. Then I cut a groove to accept an O ring that would fit
just snugly enough to seal. Drilled a small hole for the tether
string, bored out the outboard end of the plug to reduce its mass a
bit, went back next door. I doubt if the whole job took 10 minutes.

The tether string wouldn't quite go thru the 1/16" dia hole I'd
drilled. No prob, I went back and opened it up to maybe 3/32. Trav
got the string thru the hole and we put a dab of silicone on the plug
to seal the hole. Tried it out.

Oh, man, that popgun never popped like that before. It sounds like a
dang .22 now! Wesley is gonna love it!

So then Travis asked if there was anything he could do for me.

Wull ... ya! I had a water softener in the garage that needed to go
to the basement, and one in the basement that needed to go out to the
curb. The one in the garage weighed 105 lb, the one in the basement
probably similar if we could get all the water out of the resin tank.
That's more than I should try to schlep up and down stairs anymore,
though it would have not been any problem at all 15 years ago. I had
the new one strapped to a two-wheel hand truck for ease and safety
going down stairs.

No problem! Then he went to get his little portable pancake air
compressor. I'd made some fittings so I could connect a hose from
output of old softener to sink, and connect a standard air hose to the
input. I got it disconnected from the plumbing in a few seconds,
walked it over to the sink, hooked up the output hose and air hose.

Man, did that work slick! It would have taken a long time to drain by
gravity and it probably would not have drained completely, but the air
blew that sucker dry in seconds. I remembered to grab the hose to
keep it from whipping like a spastic snake and getting us both soaked.
I had a bit of minor plumbing to do because the new one is
considerably shorter than the old one was. Once the old one was outta
there and out on the curb, I didn't want Trav to feel like he should
stick around and watch me putz and plumb -- and I needed two fittings
from Depot. I didn't really "need" them, but I decided that the
soldering would be much more likely to be successful if I used
couplings on stubs that were already in the bypass valve because then
I'd have gravity on my side with the molten solder. This lead-free
stuff doesn't wet, wick and "follow the heat" nearly as well as the
old tin-lead stuff did. So I went to get two couplings for 65 cents
each while Trav returned to be with his family today.

Hookup and test was uneventful. No leaks first try. YAY.

I shoulda done this years ago. I can now flush the toilet and have a
shower before the toilet refills, and I can have a shower when there's
a load of laundry running downstairs. Used to be, if I flushed the
toilet the shower would slow to a meager trickle. Now there is no
noticable difference, which is how it oughtta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

I shoulda done this years ago. I can now flush the toilet and have a
shower before the toilet refills, and I can have a shower when there's
a load of laundry running downstairs. Used to be, if I flushed the
toilet the shower would slow to a meager trickle. Now there is no
noticable difference, which is how it oughtta be.

I use a bladder tank for that, with a check valve at the supply fitting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Um, is Wesley choking on that O-ring now? It seems that if the original
problem was chewing on the "cork", adding a small detachable O-ring is
not child safe.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 07:19:56 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Delrin's probably tougher and if the groove's deep enough, he'll have
some trouble chewing it out. How old's Wesley anyway? My kids ate
various bugs, one swallowed a .54 cal. round ball, no ill effects. You
just don't want them to choke.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

2.5 years from OP.

Lube the O ring with a dab of brake fluid, that stuff tastes so nasty he
wont chew it again.
(no really *don't* do that)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:56:59 +0800, "Dennis"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Can't believe I missed that. Never tasted brake fluid. I recall my
middle son at about 1-1/2, gave him a piece of dill pickle. He got a
funny look, spit it out in his hand and looked at it with a frown.
Then popped it back in his mouth and ate it.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

they do pull funny faces when given some new foods, total face screw-ups too
!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yow, thatts got to be intersting experience, digesting and
dropping a .54 cal ball. Was it lead ammo? I presume you
didn't go on airplane flights that day, and do the metal
detector?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

Delrin's probably tougher and if the groove's deep enough,
he'll have
some trouble chewing it out. How old's Wesley anyway? My
kids ate
various bugs, one swallowed a .54 cal. round ball, no ill
effects. You
just don't want them to choke.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

The groove is deep. The O-ring projects only a few thou proud of the
plug, just enough to effect a seal. About the only way to get that O
ring out of there would be with a pick.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

The groove is deep. The O-ring projects only a few thou proud of the
plug, just enough to effect a seal. About the only way to get that O
ring out of there would be with a pick.

Also, if the kid did manage to get it out - it's rather difficult to
actually choke on an o-ring - it has a rather large hole in it (as do
most toys labeled for the under-3 set that can possibly be crammed in a
mouth.) You can gag, but you won't choke, as you can still breathe
through the hole. If swallowed, it will come out the other end, more or
less uneventfully.

Good going Don.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

My wifes Aussie/Golden pup will sit in front of her, begging for her
share of dill pickles.

Cringe..I wont eat em..and here the dog will help her finish a jar off.

Gaccck!!

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
Aussie/Golden pup

I bet that's a damn smart dog.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:
Aussie/Golden pup

I bet that's a damn smart dog.

Jon

My dog will beg for a sweet - jube or jelly beans etc, he doesn't look too
smart when he tries to eat it when it sticks to his teeth, its rather
amusing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Yow, thatts got to be intersting experience, digesting and
dropping a .54 cal ball. Was it lead ammo? I presume you
didn't go on airplane flights that day, and do the metal
detector?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

'

Just stand clear when he farts.......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 15:14:41 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
Aussie/Golden pup

I bet that's a damn smart dog.

Jon

She is..and is gaining brain cells every day. 6 months old now..and
she goes with me and her father to LA for the past month.

Gonna be a really good one.

Ive got 7 more that will be ready in 4 weeks...if anyone is
interested.....

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

My wifes Aussie/Golden pup will sit in front of her, begging for her
share of dill pickles.

Cringe..I wont eat em..and here the dog will help her finish a jar off.

Gaccck!!

Make sure nothing happens to that dog, or she'll feed them to you.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 12:27:06 +0800, "Dennis"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Yow, thatts got to be intersting experience, digesting and
dropping a .54 cal ball. Was it lead ammo? I presume you
didn't go on airplane flights that day, and do the metal
detector?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

'

Just stand clear when he farts.......

Yup, lead. Showed up on x-ray at the doctor's, figured we'd hear it
clank when it passed. Never saw it, he passed it without incident.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:
Aussie/Golden pup

I bet that's a damn smart dog.

My dog will beg for a sweet - jube or jelly beans etc, he doesn't look too
smart when he tries to eat it when it sticks to his teeth, its rather
amusing.

How's he like peanut butter? :-

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 11:52:28 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

Dennis wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:
Aussie/Golden pup

I bet that's a damn smart dog.

My dog will beg for a sweet - jube or jelly beans etc, he doesn't look too
smart when he tries to eat it when it sticks to his teeth, its rather
amusing.

How's he like peanut butter? :-

Cheers!
Rich

Ill have to try that when Im in an evil sense humor.

VBG

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
Aussie/Golden pup

I bet that's a damn smart dog.

Jon

She is..and is gaining brain cells every day. 6 months old now..and
she goes with me and her father to LA for the past month.

Gonna be a really good one.

Ive got 7 more that will be ready in 4 weeks...if anyone is
interested.....

I demand pictures.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
Aussie/Golden pup

I bet that's a damn smart dog.

Jon

She is..and is gaining brain cells every day. 6 months old now..and
she goes with me and her father to LA for the past month.

Gonna be a really good one.

Ive got 7 more that will be ready in 4 weeks...if anyone is
interested.....

I demand pictures.

Jon

Ill post them tommorow.

I lost one of them tonight. Went in to play with them and one was dead.

I dont know if Momma layed on it while nursing or what happened.

Now I have 6.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Equal and opposite reaction propels boy forward, and gets
head stuck in drywall. Bullet hole in opposite wall puzzles
investigators. "We have never seen a gunshot case like that"
one investigator said.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dennis" wrote in message
. au...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
Yow, thatts got to be intersting experience, digesting and
dropping a .54 cal ball. Was it lead ammo? I presume you
didn't go on airplane flights that day, and do the metal
detector?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

'

Just stand clear when he farts.......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
"Jon Danniken wrote:
I demand pictures.

Ill post them tommorow.

I'll hold you to that.

I lost one of them tonight. Went in to play with them and one was
dead.

I dont know if Momma layed on it while nursing or what happened.

Now I have 6.

Sorry to hear that, I guess there's a reason dogs have a litter the size
that they do.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

I lost one of them tonight. Went in to play with them and one was dead.

I dont know if Momma layed on it while nursing or what happened.

Now I have 6.

Sorry to hear that. I know how much you like your critters.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 18:26:51 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
"Jon Danniken wrote:
I demand pictures.

Ill post them tommorow.

I'll hold you to that.

I lost one of them tonight. Went in to play with them and one was
dead.

I dont know if Momma layed on it while nursing or what happened.

Now I have 6.

Sorry to hear that, I guess there's a reason dogs have a litter the size
that they do.

I thought he told me all his dogs were fixed...

--
Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences.
No good is ever done in this world by hesitation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 07:47:08 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 18:26:51 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
"Jon Danniken wrote:
I demand pictures.

Ill post them tommorow.

I'll hold you to that.

I lost one of them tonight. Went in to play with them and one was
dead.

I dont know if Momma layed on it while nursing or what happened.

Now I have 6.

Sorry to hear that, I guess there's a reason dogs have a litter the size
that they do.

I thought he told me all his dogs were fixed...

Not all. Most..but not all.

I do raise pups as companion animals..as a free service. I dont sell
them, ever. But they only go to homes that I approve of.
Chain the dog in the backyard and forget about it..and Ill get it back.\
and readopt it out. Ive done that twice. Ive got one back because the
people were foreclosed on and had to move out. They are getting back on
their feet and he will be going back to them in a couple months. Good
people, great dog.

I raise them for companions. Family dogs. Truck dogs and buddies.

Over the years, Ive adopted out 70+ pups to people who wanted one, long
before the mother(s) ever got pregnant. With only one "accidental
pregnancy".

A number of people here have one or more of my pups. I get pictures
emailed to me at Christmas of the owners and their companion(s)

Ill be posting pictures of this current litter later today. 3 of them
are already spoken for..rather..I have 3 people who want a pup. They
simply havent picked out the ones they want..or the pup hasnt picked
them yet..which is more along the lines of what actually happens G

Want a pup Larry? Pick one from the pictures and we can work out the
details of getting it to you.

Assuming that you can assure me you will be its companion.....

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

Oh, man, that popgun never popped like that before. It sounds like a
dang .22 now! Wesley is gonna love it!

So then Travis asked if there was anything he could do for me.

Wull ... ya!

Sounds like a fair exchange to me.

Tell Wesley, this Wesley said hi and don't look ever look down the barrel from the muzzle
end.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:20:04 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Want a pup Larry? Pick one from the pictures and we can work out the
details of getting it to you.

Assuming that you can assure me you will be its companion.....

Nah, they taste too much like fried chicken to make that promise.
Barking dogs are the bane to my existence, remember?

--
Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences.
No good is ever done in this world by hesitation.
-- Thomas H. Huxley
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Want a pup Larry? Pick one from the pictures and we can work out the
details of getting it to you.

Assuming that you can assure me you will be its companion.....

Nah, they taste too much like fried chicken to make that promise.
Barking dogs are the bane to my existence, remember?

You may have forgotten..that this particular breed seldom barks.

And if its with you..what would it be barking at? Other than someone it
suspects is up to no good to you and yours.

Gunner

Water softeners Grumps UK diy 27 January 4th 08 12:17 PM
water softeners? Fred UK diy 26 November 11th 07 06:10 PM
Water softeners starryeyed Home Ownership 0 November 21st 06 09:04 AM
Water Softeners Ian Cornish UK diy 2 August 8th 05 12:56 AM
Water softeners JLamm Home Repair 6 January 10th 05 11:38 PM