Ian Cornish

Default Water Softeners

I live in a hard water area, and the house I just bought seems to have a
lot of problems with it's basic water plumbing, mainly steming from
limescale.

Questions:-
1) Would a water softener help reduce the limescale build up over time,
without replacing all the pipework?
2) What types of softener are there, and what are the maintenance costs?
Which ones are effective ?
3) How easy are they to fit diy?
4) Any other considerations I need to think about before spending my dosh?

(the house is 6 yrs old, 3 bed semi, 2 bathrooms)
Andy Hall

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:40:12 +0100, Ian Cornish "icornish at talk21
dot com" wrote:

I live in a hard water area, and the house I just bought seems to have a
lot of problems with it's basic water plumbing, mainly steming from
limescale.

Questions:-
1) Would a water softener help reduce the limescale build up over time,
without replacing all the pipework?

Yes

2) What types of softener are there, and what are the maintenance costs?
Which ones are effective ?

Ion exchange types which run with salt, deal with scale and soften the
water, so the salt cost is offset by detergent and shampoo saving.

Phosphate dosing devices like Combimate. These address scale but do
not soften water.

Electronic, electric and magnetic devices do nothing worthwhile.

3) How easy are they to fit diy?

Very easy if you can do basic plumbing

4) Any other considerations I need to think about before spending my dosh?

(the house is 6 yrs old, 3 bed semi, 2 bathrooms)

Not really. It's a question of location and having a suitable route
to a waste pipe or drain.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Sparks

"Ian Cornish" "icornish at talk21 dot com" wrote in message
I live in a hard water area, and the house I just bought seems to have a
lot of problems with it's basic water plumbing, mainly steming from
limescale.

Questions:-
1) Would a water softener help reduce the limescale build up over time,
without replacing all the pipework?

Yep!

2) What types of softener are there, and what are the maintenance costs?
Which ones are effective ?

I would recommend the ion exchange ones from experience with them.

The maintenance costs are pretty much just the salt, the salt consumption
will relate to the amount of water you use and how hard the water is.
(http://www.uk-water-softeners.co.uk/pages/hdwtrmap.htm)

Having a quick look on Google, it seems to suggest the salt cost is about
£1.50-£2.00 per person, per month.

We had our last softener for about 25 years and only changed it because we
wanted a meter one, and also needed a smaller unit when the kitchen was
redone.

3) How easy are they to fit diy?

Ion Exchange This does also depend on where you want to put it, as you
will want to have hard water at the kitchen sink (for drinking) and also
hard water to the outside tap.

You basically have the mains water entering the house, this then goes to the
softener and also to any places you wish to have untreated water.
Then, from the softener, you have the things connected you want to use soft
water with (Water tank in loft, combi feed, taps you want mains pressure
cold on (Like the Kitchen sink - we have three taps, one mixer with soft
hot/cold, the cold being at mains pressure, and also another single tap for
drinking water)

The softener also requires power (usually) a drain, and an overflow (NOT
connected to the same pipe as the drain, or you will flood the place!)

4) Any other considerations I need to think about before spending my dosh?
(the house is 6 yrs old, 3 bed semi, 2 bathrooms)

Remember you need to fill it with salt, so a place to store some 20-25KG
bags, and an easy route to take when filling, if the bags are not near it.

There are two types of Ion exchange (I think), one that generates based on a
timer, so if you start using more water than it is set to, you will start
getting hard water through, or if you have it set too high, you will be
wasting salt.

The better types have a water meter, they measure the amount of water you
have passed through it, then only generate when needed (I have just changed
mine to a meter one, and it is using a lot less salt than the old one!)

If you do get one, make sure you fit a bypass pipe and also a non-return
valve to the input (The instructions should tell you about this)

Sparks...

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM