Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default How fixing a gun gets water softeners moved

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:56:59 +0800, "Dennis"
wrote:

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 07:19:56 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

The TV in the treadmill room is right next to a window. While walking
on the treadmill today, I glanced out the window and noticed neighbor
Travis in my back yard peering in my family room patio door so I went
to see what he might want. I opened the patio door and got the
trademark Travis grin and "Hi there!" That means he wants something.
I said hi there back. He said he had a little problem that maybe I
might have an idea how to solve. Sure! We went next door.

Wesley's pop gun won't pop. Wesley, 2-1/2, had chewed on the "cork"
(one of those polyethylene capplugs)until it cracked, leaks air, won't
pop. Ah ha. A lathe op. I said yes, I think I might have an idea. I
had him remove the barrel which is probably just ABS water pipe. I
took it to my shop, carefully measured the ID with a telescoping gage
and mike, machined a plug out of delrin a few thou smaller than the ID
of the pipe. Then I cut a groove to accept an O ring that would fit
just snugly enough to seal. Drilled a small hole for the tether
string, bored out the outboard end of the plug to reduce its mass a
bit, went back next door. I doubt if the whole job took 10 minutes.

Um, is Wesley choking on that O-ring now? It seems that if the original
problem was chewing on the "cork", adding a small detachable O-ring is
not child safe.

Delrin's probably tougher and if the groove's deep enough, he'll have
some trouble chewing it out. How old's Wesley anyway? My kids ate
various bugs, one swallowed a .54 cal. round ball, no ill effects. You
just don't want them to choke.

Pete Keillor

2.5 years from OP.

Lube the O ring with a dab of brake fluid, that stuff tastes so nasty he
wont chew it again.
(no really *don't* do that)

Can't believe I missed that. Never tasted brake fluid. I recall my
middle son at about 1-1/2, gave him a piece of dill pickle. He got a
funny look, spit it out in his hand and looked at it with a frown.
Then popped it back in his mouth and ate it.

Pete Keillor