Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electronic ignitor

My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...

So, I followed the manual and determined the electronic ignitor died.
Then I called Northern and was told my 12 year old unit doesn't have a
supported parts list but this one may work. So, I ordered it. Got the
part today. It won't work. I'm starting to think I'm FUBAR.

Here's a description off the ignitor:

Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation

Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/10/2011 3:23 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...

So, I followed the manual and determined the electronic ignitor died.
Then I called Northern and was told my 12 year old unit doesn't have a
supported parts list but this one may work. So, I ordered it. Got the
part today. It won't work. I'm starting to think I'm FUBAR.

Here's a description off the ignitor:

Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation

Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.

Karl

What does it use for fuel?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...
Any chance of finding or making something that will work? ...

Of course! And, you've come to the right place G.

First: what is it? I'm guessing it's like this one:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1857_200321857

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Karl Townsend wrote:
Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation

Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.

Karl

Smells like you are looking at an oil-furnace type arc ignitor (perhaps
smaller) if it involves a transformer and 12 kilovolts. You might buy
the local furnace guy coffee and a doughnut (well, perhaps an apple
turnover, being you) and see if he can figure something that will work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 19:50:40 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...
Any chance of finding or making something that will work? ...

Of course! And, you've come to the right place G.

First: what is it? I'm guessing it's like this one:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1857_200321857

Bob

Yes, mine is similar. Bit more GPM for mine - 4 GPM.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 20:41:47 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Karl Townsend wrote:
Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation

Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.

Karl

Smells like you are looking at an oil-furnace type arc ignitor (perhaps
smaller) if it involves a transformer and 12 kilovolts. You might buy
the local furnace guy coffee and a doughnut (well, perhaps an apple
turnover, being you) and see if he can figure something that will work.

Does an oil furnace ignitor run continuously? This one does.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 16:14:34 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 4/10/2011 3:23 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...

So, I followed the manual and determined the electronic ignitor died.
Then I called Northern and was told my 12 year old unit doesn't have a
supported parts list but this one may work. So, I ordered it. Got the
part today. It won't work. I'm starting to think I'm FUBAR.

Here's a description off the ignitor:

Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation

Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.

Karl

What does it use for fuel?

I normally use kerosene.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Yes, mine is similar. Bit more GPM for mine - 4 GPM.

OK - an oil burner. Probably very similar to the ones used on home
heating boilers/furnaces.

So, what does it do? You plug it in, turn on the pump and the burner,
the pump starts and ...? Does the burner motor run? Does the igniter
spark? Does it burn for a while and stop, or what?

This isn't going to be very hard.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:01:48 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Yes, mine is similar. Bit more GPM for mine - 4 GPM.

OK - an oil burner. Probably very similar to the ones used on home
heating boilers/furnaces.

So, what does it do? You plug it in, turn on the pump and the burner,
the pump starts and ...? Does the burner motor run? Does the igniter
spark? Does it burn for a while and stop, or what?

This isn't going to be very hard.

Bob

Na, the igniter is clear dead. No spark at all. Of course motor runs a
few seconds till heat detector KOs the system and shuts downs oil pump
and fan. This would have been a quick fix IF parts were available.

I should note its a 220 system. I'm going to bet nearly all home
heating oil units are 110.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl, this sounds like the igniters that are used in "torpedo"
heaters. They burn continuously and work with kerosene. Check
Grainger or similar for a rebuild kit.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Na, the igniter is clear dead. No spark at all. Of course motor runs a
few seconds till heat detector KOs the system and shuts downs oil pump
and fan. This would have been a quick fix IF parts were available.

Alright, the Owner's Manual for the washer that I linked doesn't show a
heat detector, but that shouldn't change things much.

But you did get a new igniter and it is 220, as would be the "correct"
part. They aren't going to be very different, if different at all.

I should note its a 220 system. I'm going to bet nearly all home
heating oil units are 110.

True, you aren't going to be able to buy a home-heating igniter & stick
it in. But the principles are the same.

And one of the things that can be problematic in home-heating burners is
the electrode adjustment. But the trickiness with them is they can be
sparking, but not igniting the oil - cause the arc isn't in exactly the
right position. Since yours is not sparking at all, that's out.

You need to check the coil itself, even though it's brand new.
Disconnect it and put an ohmmeter on the primary & secondary. What are
the values?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:33:46 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

I'm looking for a part. These values are useless on a smoked dead
unit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:intdl4$gvv$1
@dont-email.me:

Karl

What does it use for fuel?

Without even checking Karl's answer, that sort of igniter is used on
atomizing oil burners; so I'd guess diesel fuel or #2 fuel oil.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

I should note its a 220 system. I'm going to bet nearly all home
heating oil units are 110.

True, you aren't going to be able to buy a home-heating igniter & stick
it in. But the principles are the same.

Um... when did I plop down into a world where 110 isn't available on a
220 circuit? Didja ever notice that most electric dryers have 220V
heating elements and 110V motors?

Of COURSE you can use a 110V unit, even if you do have to _slightly_
modify the wiring of the unit.

Those oil burner igniters are available in all sorts of sizes, but the
most likely one to fit inside your footprint will be the kind provided in
"salamander" space heaters -- unless your hotwasher is one of the giant
"chimney on a wagon" varieties.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 06:46:33 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

I should note its a 220 system. I'm going to bet nearly all home
heating oil units are 110.

True, you aren't going to be able to buy a home-heating igniter & stick
it in. But the principles are the same.

Um... when did I plop down into a world where 110 isn't available on a
220 circuit? Didja ever notice that most electric dryers have 220V
heating elements and 110V motors?

Of COURSE you can use a 110V unit, even if you do have to _slightly_
modify the wiring of the unit.

Those oil burner igniters are available in all sorts of sizes, but the
most likely one to fit inside your footprint will be the kind provided in
"salamander" space heaters -- unless your hotwasher is one of the giant
"chimney on a wagon" varieties.

LLoyd

That'll be a lot easier if Karl's washer is already wired with a
neutral, which it may not have if it was using a 220V igniter. I had
my welder outlets wired with a neutral, and settled on a twistlock. I
figure on adding an onboard 120V. outlet on the welding cart for
grinders, etc. eventually.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
KG KG is offline

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

What of European or any country that used 220v 50 HZ power?
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Whenever a conservative utters the term
"Common Sense approach"...
grab your wallet, your ass, and your girls,
because the sombitch is about to do something
damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm looking for a part. These values are useless on a smoked dead
unit.

How do you know it's smoked unless you test it? Maybe it's not getting
power. Maybe the electrodes are shorted or open.

You already put a new part in. Unless it was defective out-of-the-box
(possible, but not likely & easily checked), another new part isn't
going to help.

But, do it you own way.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 07:50:11 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

[...]

Anyone needs any 220vt OR 110vt twist locks, mostly NOS..I just took 40
pairs down to MarMachine and they are available for sale. I kept 6
pair..just in case.

Less than half price of new.

Gunner, who continues to sort out his Stuff....

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...

So, I followed the manual and determined the electronic ignitor died.
Then I called Northern and was told my 12 year old unit doesn't have a
supported parts list but this one may work. So, I ordered it. Got the
part today. It won't work. I'm starting to think I'm FUBAR.

Here's a description off the ignitor:

Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation

Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.

Karl

When I built my now infamous (retired) propane/oxygen/igniter underground
gopher killer, I used a cheap stun gun. It was the size of a pack of
cigarettes, and I made a box out of one of the blue electrical wall
receptacles. Ran two wires to one of those replacement barbecue igniters
you can get at the Borg.

Just a thought.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 17:23:06 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...

So, I followed the manual and determined the electronic ignitor died.
Then I called Northern and was told my 12 year old unit doesn't have a
supported parts list but this one may work. So, I ordered it. Got the
part today. It won't work. I'm starting to think I'm FUBAR.

Here's a description off the ignitor:

Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation

Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.

Karl

When you say the SEM unit doesn't work, could you be more specific? I
know that SEM makes ignitors but I couldn't find any specs online.
Does it make a spark or arc at the electrodes? Is it getting power?
If you connect the ignition module input to 220V and the output to a
spark gap of about 3/16", what happens? It should make a spark/arc
that "blows" if you blow on it, look almost like an acetylene flame.

As others have said, a place that sells parts for kerosene torpedos
or salamanders should have ignitors. Fleet Farm might be able to
help. Or, call these guys and see if they can help you:
https://keithspecialty.com/hvac.oil_burner.parts.htm

Be sure to specify that you need continuous duty. Some electronic
ignitors are only rated for intermittent duty, will overheat in
continuous duty.

Likely mfrs are Beckett and Carlin.

As Gunner noted, most US ignitors will be 110V but you should be able
to get 110V from line to neutral in your setup if you have neutral. If
you don't have neutral it may be easier to add it rather than find a
European ignitor.

SEM makes a lot of ignitors. Some are just spark ignitors, suitable
for gas but not for oil or kerosene. I can't find any info on the
particular SEM ignitor you have.

I used to design these things but I don't have any samples or examples
left in my goodie box. See, e.g.,
http://tinyurl.com/3zqmnyl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The parts guy at Northern is trying again today. He's a real nice
fella and it actually bothered him that Northern isn't stocking parts.
he's going direct to Aaliddin, the maker of the washer.

If that's no joy, I'll buy an ignitor and have to figure how to
clobber in a high voltage run. Here's the most likely source i found:
http://www.pressure-washer-parts.com...cts.asp?page=2

The 558 half way down the page is for 220 volt. I'll get it. May need
your help to figure how to run high voltage wiring

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They have an 800 number:
http://www.aaladin.com/site/service.html

Tim or Mike look like they could help.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When you say the SEM unit doesn't work, could you be more specific? I
know that SEM makes ignitors but I couldn't find any specs online.
Does it make a spark or arc at the electrodes? Is it getting power?
If you connect the ignition module input to 220V and the output to a
spark gap of about 3/16", what happens? It should make a spark/arc
that "blows" if you blow on it, look almost like an acetylene flame.

I hooked it up on the bench with two #57 drill bits to make an
electrode gap of .1 inch. No spark nothing. That and the burnt smell
proved it clear dead.

It is supposed to have a continous arc at the burner electrodes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
If that's no joy, I'll buy an ignitor and have to figure how to
clobber in a high voltage run. ...

The 558 half way down the page is for 220 volt. I'll get it. May need
your help to figure how to run high voltage wiring

Wait a minute ... the wiring is already 220, isn't it? If it isn't, why
is the ignitor you have 220? ??? Or did you mean that you'd get a 120
ignitor & try to rewire for it?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A daytrip to Dassel for a visit on a nice spring day could be quite
enjoyable for me and possibly useful to you. Count me in.

Contact nearly every day with people whose company I enjoy is a key
part of my recovery plan.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:20:04 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

When you say the SEM unit doesn't work, could you be more specific? I
know that SEM makes ignitors but I couldn't find any specs online.
Does it make a spark or arc at the electrodes? Is it getting power?
If you connect the ignition module input to 220V and the output to a
spark gap of about 3/16", what happens? It should make a spark/arc
that "blows" if you blow on it, look almost like an acetylene flame.

I hooked it up on the bench with two #57 drill bits to make an
electrode gap of .1 inch. No spark nothing. That and the burnt smell
proved it clear dead.

It is supposed to have a continous arc at the burner electrodes.

When I was working with oil ignition, I never saw a SEM ignitor that
was worth a ****. That was quite a while ago.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...

So, I followed the manual and determined the electronic ignitor died.
Then I called Northern and was told my 12 year old unit doesn't have a
supported parts list but this one may work. So, I ordered it. Got the
part today. It won't work. I'm starting to think I'm FUBAR.

Here's a description off the ignitor:

Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation

Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.

Karl

I've been trying to recall the best ignitor I found to beat as a
competitor back in the late '90's. Finally tumbled: it was Carlin.

http://www.amazon.com/Carlin-41000-E.../dp/B0034WPTEI

My (patented) design was better but strongly influenced by the Carlin
design though that was certainly not admitted in the patent app. If
Carlin had patented their design I probably still would have won
patent for mine but the allowed claims would have been more limited.
Mine worked better than thiers, but thiers worked quite sufficiently.

This is a 120V unit so you would need to have a neutral connection if
you don't already have one.

HON never quite made it into production, exited the oil biz during the
merger with/takover by Allied Signal.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Blush, now I feel special. You are more than welcome ANYTIME.

This Brian at Northern in St. Cloud is one in a million. He went back
to Aalidin and found that my machine was only made a short while and
the electronic ignitor only on a few units shipped.

I've got another style ignitor on the way that they changed to. Only
problem is I'm putting an eight pound ignitor in a one pound box. (The
electronic units are far smaller) Now, I'm an ME - I desgn and build
brackets quite well.

I need to check calibration on my hole drilling machines. I've got two
that drill .223 holes at 100 yards rapidly. Three more that drill .308
holes at 100 yards rapidly. One of these has special enhancements to
drill holes accurately at 400 yards with the lights out - It needs a
special check out. If you wait a few weeks I will have a 1000 yard .5
inch hole drilling machine. This is all metal work - VBG. I especially
want to see how much metal the new .5 inch unit will drill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've been trying to recall the best ignitor I found to beat as a
competitor back in the late '90's. Finally tumbled: it was Carlin.

http://www.amazon.com/Carlin-41000-E.../dp/B0034WPTEI

My (patented) design was better but strongly influenced by the Carlin
design though that was certainly not admitted in the patent app. If
Carlin had patented their design I probably still would have won
patent for mine but the allowed claims would have been more limited.
Mine worked better than thiers, but thiers worked quite sufficiently.

This is a 120V unit so you would need to have a neutral connection if
you don't already have one.

HON never quite made it into production, exited the oil biz during the
merger with/takover by Allied Signal.

I'm curious, how may patents have you been awarded? I remember you
mentioning at least one other.

This unit above is FAR smaller and would be easy to fit in the
allotted space. But its 110 and I'd have to pull in a nuetral - not
that hard. And I'd also have to figure which of the two hots is
switched and maybe both are. With no drawings, this would take a
while. Nothing that can't be done, just time consuming.

So, I'll try the huge 220 volt unit first.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 06:37:18 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I've been trying to recall the best ignitor I found to beat as a
competitor back in the late '90's. Finally tumbled: it was Carlin.

http://www.amazon.com/Carlin-41000-E.../dp/B0034WPTEI

My (patented) design was better but strongly influenced by the Carlin
design though that was certainly not admitted in the patent app. If
Carlin had patented their design I probably still would have won
patent for mine but the allowed claims would have been more limited.
Mine worked better than thiers, but thiers worked quite sufficiently.

This is a 120V unit so you would need to have a neutral connection if
you don't already have one.

HON never quite made it into production, exited the oil biz during the
merger with/takover by Allied Signal.

I'm curious, how may patents have you been awarded? I remember you
mentioning at least one other.

I don't know. I never kept track. Mary said it was dozens. I recall
fewer than 20 but Mary was a beancounter who kept track of things.

This unit above is FAR smaller and would be easy to fit in the
allotted space. But its 110 and I'd have to pull in a nuetral - not
that hard. And I'd also have to figure which of the two hots is
switched and maybe both are. With no drawings, this would take a
while. Nothing that can't be done, just time consuming.

So, I'll try the huge 220 volt unit first.

Could also add a 220 to 110 xfmr or autoxfmr.
http://www.signaltransformer.com/con...-chassis-mount
Those electronic ignitors deliver about 30 watts to the electrodes so
I'd think a 50 VA xfmr would suffice nicely. Just find a 50 VA xfmr
with two 110-volt primaries, connect them in series, power the whole
series primary and take 110 off of only one primary. The one I cited
is 80 VA.

The electronic ignitor's HV side is xfmr isolated from the primary
circuit so the secondary center-tap ground customary and maybe code
in oil ignitors would still be OK.

I'd just add a neutral.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 10, 2011 5:23:06 PM UTC-5, Karl Townsend wrote:
My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...

So, I followed the manual and determined the electronic ignitor died.
Then I called Northern and was told my 12 year old unit doesn't have a
supported parts list but this one may work. So, I ordered it. Got the
part today. It won't work. I'm starting to think I'm FUBAR.

Here's a description off the ignitor:

Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation

Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.

Karl

I am commenting a couple of years after the fact for anyone who is researching the same issue. After quite some time looking, I finally settled on Allaston 2280-U from PexSupply. Be here in a couple of days, so still unproven whether it is truly "universal" or not. Good luck.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
hal hal is offline

replying to Karl Townsend, hal wrote:
karltownsend.NOT wrote:

My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...
So, I followed the manual and determined the electronic ignitor died.
Then I called Northern and was told my 12 year old unit doesn't have a
supported parts list but this one may work. So, I ordered it. Got the
part today. It won't work. I'm starting to think I'm FUBAR.
Here's a description off the ignitor:
Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation
Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.
Karl

karl did you get it to work I have the same ignitor and can not find
hal

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...or-499320-.htm

[...]