Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default electronic ignitor

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:33:46 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

Na, the igniter is clear dead. No spark at all. Of course motor runs a
few seconds till heat detector KOs the system and shuts downs oil pump
and fan. This would have been a quick fix IF parts were available.

Alright, the Owner's Manual for the washer that I linked doesn't show a
heat detector, but that shouldn't change things much.

But you did get a new igniter and it is 220, as would be the "correct"
part. They aren't going to be very different, if different at all.

I should note its a 220 system. I'm going to bet nearly all home
heating oil units are 110.

True, you aren't going to be able to buy a home-heating igniter & stick
it in. But the principles are the same.

And one of the things that can be problematic in home-heating burners is
the electrode adjustment. But the trickiness with them is they can be
sparking, but not igniting the oil - cause the arc isn't in exactly the
right position. Since yours is not sparking at all, that's out.

You need to check the coil itself, even though it's brand new.
Disconnect it and put an ohmmeter on the primary & secondary. What are
the values?

Bob

I'm looking for a part. These values are useless on a smoked dead
unit.