Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default electronic ignitor

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 06:37:18 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I've been trying to recall the best ignitor I found to beat as a
competitor back in the late '90's. Finally tumbled: it was Carlin.

http://www.amazon.com/Carlin-41000-E.../dp/B0034WPTEI

My (patented) design was better but strongly influenced by the Carlin
design though that was certainly not admitted in the patent app. If
Carlin had patented their design I probably still would have won
patent for mine but the allowed claims would have been more limited.
Mine worked better than thiers, but thiers worked quite sufficiently.

This is a 120V unit so you would need to have a neutral connection if
you don't already have one.

HON never quite made it into production, exited the oil biz during the
merger with/takover by Allied Signal.

I'm curious, how may patents have you been awarded? I remember you
mentioning at least one other.

I don't know. I never kept track. Mary said it was dozens. I recall
fewer than 20 but Mary was a beancounter who kept track of things.

This unit above is FAR smaller and would be easy to fit in the
allotted space. But its 110 and I'd have to pull in a nuetral - not
that hard. And I'd also have to figure which of the two hots is
switched and maybe both are. With no drawings, this would take a
while. Nothing that can't be done, just time consuming.

So, I'll try the huge 220 volt unit first.

Could also add a 220 to 110 xfmr or autoxfmr.
http://www.signaltransformer.com/con...-chassis-mount
Those electronic ignitors deliver about 30 watts to the electrodes so
I'd think a 50 VA xfmr would suffice nicely. Just find a 50 VA xfmr
with two 110-volt primaries, connect them in series, power the whole
series primary and take 110 off of only one primary. The one I cited
is 80 VA.

The electronic ignitor's HV side is xfmr isolated from the primary
circuit so the secondary center-tap ground customary and maybe code
in oil ignitors would still be OK.

I'd just add a neutral.