Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default electronic ignitor

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 17:23:06 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...

So, I followed the manual and determined the electronic ignitor died.
Then I called Northern and was told my 12 year old unit doesn't have a
supported parts list but this one may work. So, I ordered it. Got the
part today. It won't work. I'm starting to think I'm FUBAR.

Here's a description off the ignitor:

Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation

Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.

Karl

I've been trying to recall the best ignitor I found to beat as a
competitor back in the late '90's. Finally tumbled: it was Carlin.

http://www.amazon.com/Carlin-41000-E.../dp/B0034WPTEI

My (patented) design was better but strongly influenced by the Carlin
design though that was certainly not admitted in the patent app. If
Carlin had patented their design I probably still would have won
patent for mine but the allowed claims would have been more limited.
Mine worked better than thiers, but thiers worked quite sufficiently.

This is a 120V unit so you would need to have a neutral connection if
you don't already have one.

HON never quite made it into production, exited the oil biz during the
merger with/takover by Allied Signal.