Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default electronic ignitor

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:07:06 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 12:58:09 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 17:23:06 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

My Northern Tool hot pressure washer quit doing hot water...

So, I followed the manual and determined the electronic ignitor died.
Then I called Northern and was told my 12 year old unit doesn't have a
supported parts list but this one may work. So, I ordered it. Got the
part today. It won't work. I'm starting to think I'm FUBAR.

Here's a description off the ignitor:

Electronic Ignitor
SEM AB AMAL SWEDEN
Type TH3/320-04
Art. No. 826 020 61
Prim. 230 VAC 50-60Hz 70 VA
Sec. 12kV ?4 mA RMS (the ? looks most like a 3 maybe)
Continuous operation

Any chance of finding or making something that will work? I just got
sticker shock, new pressure washers are over $2K.

Karl

When you say the SEM unit doesn't work, could you be more specific? I
know that SEM makes ignitors but I couldn't find any specs online.
Does it make a spark or arc at the electrodes? Is it getting power?
If you connect the ignition module input to 220V and the output to a
spark gap of about 3/16", what happens? It should make a spark/arc
that "blows" if you blow on it, look almost like an acetylene flame.

As others have said, a place that sells parts for kerosene torpedos
or salamanders should have ignitors. Fleet Farm might be able to
help. Or, call these guys and see if they can help you:
https://keithspecialty.com/hvac.oil_burner.parts.htm

Be sure to specify that you need continuous duty. Some electronic
ignitors are only rated for intermittent duty, will overheat in
continuous duty.

Likely mfrs are Beckett and Carlin.

As Gunner noted, most US ignitors will be 110V but you should be able
to get 110V from line to neutral in your setup if you have neutral. If
you don't have neutral it may be easier to add it rather than find a
European ignitor.

SEM makes a lot of ignitors. Some are just spark ignitors, suitable
for gas but not for oil or kerosene. I can't find any info on the
particular SEM ignitor you have.

I used to design these things but I don't have any samples or examples
left in my goodie box. See, e.g.,
http://tinyurl.com/3zqmnyl

The parts guy at Northern is trying again today. He's a real nice
fella and it actually bothered him that Northern isn't stocking parts.
he's going direct to Aaliddin, the maker of the washer.

If that's no joy, I'll buy an ignitor and have to figure how to
clobber in a high voltage run. Here's the most likely source i found:
http://www.pressure-washer-parts.com...cts.asp?page=2

The 558 half way down the page is for 220 volt. I'll get it. May need
your help to figure how to run high voltage wiring

Karl

A daytrip to Dassel for a visit on a nice spring day could be quite
enjoyable for me and possibly useful to you. Count me in.

Contact nearly every day with people whose company I enjoy is a key
part of my recovery plan.