Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default electronic ignitor

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:20:04 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

When you say the SEM unit doesn't work, could you be more specific? I
know that SEM makes ignitors but I couldn't find any specs online.
Does it make a spark or arc at the electrodes? Is it getting power?
If you connect the ignition module input to 220V and the output to a
spark gap of about 3/16", what happens? It should make a spark/arc
that "blows" if you blow on it, look almost like an acetylene flame.

I hooked it up on the bench with two #57 drill bits to make an
electrode gap of .1 inch. No spark nothing. That and the burnt smell
proved it clear dead.

It is supposed to have a continous arc at the burner electrodes.

When I was working with oil ignition, I never saw a SEM ignitor that
was worth a ****. That was quite a while ago.