Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Off Topic, But Important... Firefox users read please

If you use Firefox, you may want to check this setting... Before someone
else gains access to your PC and does it for themselves. As a computer user
since the 1980's and a non-malicious hacker-type, I tend to find the flaws
pretty quickly, use strong passwords and tread carefully on the internet.
This one caught me off guard as I was not aware of it and it is a huge
liability to anyone not going it.

First, follow these steps:

Open Firefox
Tools
Security (tab)
Saved Passwords

....If you get past this point, you do not have a master password set up in
Firefox. That means that ANYONE who has access to your computer has access
to your passwords.

To fix this problem, follow these steps:

Open Firefox
Tools
Security (tab)
Click the small box next to "Use a master password"
Set master password now!

Now try clicking on "Saved Passwords" and it should require the master
password to view that area, thus adding another level of security to your
browsing program.

....As far as I know, Explorer doesn't offer this. I'm sure someone will be
along shortly with alternate info if that is not the case.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/15/2011 01:34 PM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

I just click "never for this site" when I'm asked if I want Firefox to
remember my password.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the heads up I've unchecked the save passwords checkbox,
might save me being prompted with the "do you want to save passwords for
this site" dialogue. Actually the problem isn't one for me as I never
allow it to save passwords when the opportunity arises as I still have a
memory and can remember various things like that easily. I don't know
how others that have poor memories deal with these sorts of thing these
days as it seems like there is always another PIN number or such to
remember.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
... I still have a
memory and can remember various things like that easily. ...

Wow! You must have one good memory. Or your passwords are too obvious.
Or you don't have that many. *Some* of my account names and passwords
are on 3 x 5 cards and that deck is 1/2" thick.

I let FireFox remember my passwords - I like the convenience. As far as
"That means that ANYONE who has access to your computer has access
to your passwords.", I don't consider it a problem. My computer is in
my home & anyone who's invited in is not a threat. Those who aren't
invited aren't going to sit at my computer and go through my Favorites
looking for buried treasure. It's in-and-out for them. And my old and
tired computer is not something that that they'll waste time carrying out.

That said, I did recently switch to LastPass 'cause it's even more
convenient.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
David Billington wrote:
... I still have a
memory and can remember various things like that easily. ...

Wow! You must have one good memory. Or your passwords are too obvious.
Or you don't have that many. *Some* of my account names and passwords are
on 3 x 5 cards and that deck is 1/2" thick.

Most of mine are encryptions that follow an algorithm I have in my head, and
a memorized sequence for applying the algorithm. Sometimes I have to stand
for a moment in front of ATM machines, and at the supermarket, while I run
the algorithm in my 30-Hertz central processing unit, which I keep under my
hat. d----8-)

The rest have another encryption, without a memorized sequence, applied to
them before I write them down in my travelling notebook. I need a pencil
and a piece of paper, sometimes, to decode them. But unless a crypto-type
gets his hands on my notebook, and figures out that the encrypted codes
written there are not the real passwords -- and then figures out the
algorithm -- it's pretty secure.

At home, I have another notebook that never leaves the house. That one has
the unencrypted passwords. As long as I don't have a burglary in my home,
they're Ok.

--
Ed Huntress

I let FireFox remember my passwords - I like the convenience. As far as
"That means that ANYONE who has access to your computer has access
to your passwords.", I don't consider it a problem. My computer is in my
home & anyone who's invited in is not a threat. Those who aren't invited
aren't going to sit at my computer and go through my Favorites looking for
buried treasure. It's in-and-out for them. And my old and tired computer
is not something that that they'll waste time carrying out.

That said, I did recently switch to LastPass 'cause it's even more
convenient.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

If you use Firefox, you may want to check this setting... Before someone
else gains access to your PC and does it for themselves. As a computer
user since the 1980's and a non-malicious hacker-type, I tend to find the
flaws pretty quickly, use strong passwords and tread carefully on the
internet. This one caught me off guard as I was not aware of it and it is
a huge liability to anyone not going it.

First, follow these steps:

1. Reformat drive
2. Install Linux.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
David Billington wrote:
... I still have a
memory and can remember various things like that easily. ...

Wow! You must have one good memory. Or your passwords are too
obvious. Or you don't have that many. *Some* of my account names and
passwords are on 3 x 5 cards and that deck is 1/2" thick.

My memory is fairly good, I think, as I have a number of passwords and
PINs and find them easy to remember if I use them regularly. the one
that springs to mind that is written down is for my internet domain name
supplier which I use every 2 years. I normally find a new pin I can
remember after about 2 uses. Passwords are not always mixed case but are
alpha numeric, I like the idea suggested by someone else of chemical
compounds as passwords, just think of a nice chemical to remember.

I let FireFox remember my passwords - I like the convenience. As far
as "That means that ANYONE who has access to your computer has access
to your passwords.", I don't consider it a problem. My computer is in
my home & anyone who's invited in is not a threat. Those who aren't
invited aren't going to sit at my computer and go through my Favorites
looking for buried treasure. It's in-and-out for them. And my old
and tired computer is not something that that they'll waste time
carrying out.

That said, I did recently switch to LastPass 'cause it's even more
convenient.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Wow! You must have one good memory. Or your passwords are too obvious.
Or you don't have that many. *Some* of my account names and passwords are
on 3 x 5 cards and that deck is 1/2" thick.

Most of mine are encryptions that follow an algorithm I have in my head, and
a memorized sequence for applying the algorithm. Sometimes I have to stand
for a moment in front of ATM machines, and at the supermarket, while I run
the algorithm in my 30-Hertz central processing unit, which I keep under my
hat. d----8-)

I gave up on having Firefox remember the passwords and yes I use a password on the
password list since any virus could swipe the list and put me in a bad spot.

Now I use lastpass https://lastpass.com/ This program keeps my passwords in an encrypted
file, uses their servers to syncronize my passwords across every device I use on the
internet. Only an encrypted file is kept on their servers and they don't know my password
if they can be trusted.

Every new site I enter, I have lastpass create a unique password and store it. If I join
a site tonight and tomorrow I fire up firefox from my usb drive at work, I have the
username/password combination available as soon as lastpass connects to their servers.

Steve Gibson did a podcast on it. http://twit.tv/sn256

I trusted firefox to secure my password list, trusting Lastpass, that I pay for their
service, wasn't that different a trust situation.

TIP. If you ever forget your password and a site sends it back to you, that password is
toast. They stored it where someone administrating the site can see it in the clear even
if encrypted.

More secure sites, create a hash of your password then save it and then compare the hash
of your entered password after they hash it each time when you log in to see if there is a
match. They can not tell you what your password was. A hash is a one way function that
if properly implemented has no reverse execution.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
David Billington wrote:
[...]

"They" get to your computer through your internet connection, by using
telnet or remote shell. I actually had a password sniffed and a computer
hijacked to be a spambot - I didn't discover it until somebody called
me and asked, "Why is your computer pinging me?"

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

First, follow these steps:

1. Reformat drive
2. Install Linux.

Cheers!
Rich

Rich,

When I can seamlessly run Quickbooks, AutoCAD, Outlook, Outlook Express, an
internet browser compatible with Facebook, Twitter and UPS and not have to
spend a lot of time learning the new set-up and receive the same level of
support from the companies I buy the software and hardware from, then Linux
will make sense for my computer.

Until then, I've got business to take care of.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

First, follow these steps:
I (Rich Grise) wrote:

1. Reformat drive
2. Install Linux.

When I can seamlessly run Quickbooks, AutoCAD, Outlook, Outlook Express,
an internet browser compatible with Facebook, Twitter and UPS and not have
to spend a lot of time learning the new set-up and receive the same level
of support from the companies I buy the software and hardware from, then
Linux will make sense for my computer.

Until then, I've got business to take care of.

Well, OK then. To each his own.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings or spoiled your day or anything.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

First, follow these steps:

1. Reformat drive
2. Install Linux.

Cheers!
Rich

Rich,

When I can seamlessly run Quickbooks, AutoCAD, Outlook, Outlook Express, an
internet browser compatible with Facebook, Twitter and UPS and not have to
spend a lot of time learning the new set-up and receive the same level of
support from the companies I buy the software and hardware from, then Linux
will make sense for my computer.

Until then, I've got business to take care of.

I agree. Try running automated test equipment under Linux, or on a
MAC that requires you to use a custom interface card and software that
would lose it's certification if it was ported to another OS..

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
First, follow these steps:

1. Reformat drive
2. Install Linux.

Cheers!
Rich

Rich,

When I can seamlessly run Quickbooks, AutoCAD, Outlook, Outlook Express, an
internet browser compatible with Facebook, Twitter and UPS and not have to
spend a lot of time learning the new set-up and receive the same level of
support from the companies I buy the software and hardware from, then Linux
will make sense for my computer.

Until then, I've got business to take care of.

I agree. Try running automated test equipment under Linux, or on a
MAC that requires you to use a custom interface card and software that
would lose it's certification if it was ported to another OS..

Well, you can't run it (ATE) under Windows with any constrained timing!

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
First, follow these steps:

1. Reformat drive
2. Install Linux.

Cheers!
Rich
Rich,

When I can seamlessly run Quickbooks, AutoCAD, Outlook, Outlook Express, an
internet browser compatible with Facebook, Twitter and UPS and not have to
spend a lot of time learning the new set-up and receive the same level of
support from the companies I buy the software and hardware from, then Linux
will make sense for my computer.

Until then, I've got business to take care of.

I agree. Try running automated test equipment under Linux, or on a
MAC that requires you to use a custom interface card and software that
would lose it's certification if it was ported to another OS..

Well, you can't run it (ATE) under Windows with any constrained timing!

You could under the early versions. One ATE system we had was for
the Scientific Atlanta telemetry receiver, which was their clone of the
Microdyne 1200 series. It would only run under Windows 2.0 and SA had
lost all the documentation before they shipped the system to us. I
think that it was intentional, after they lost the patent infringement
lawsuit. The other systems ran under Win 95 or Windows NT and
communicated to the test equipment through a National Instruments 16 bit
IEEE-488 interface card. There were no timing issues, since the gear
was set, given time to make sure the signals were stable, then read
before the next test. The same setup would work with newer versions of
Windows, since there were no critical timing involved. between the
computer and the test equipment. it worked much better than the 4 bit
Data General based SATE for the PRC-77 I used at Cincinnati
Electronics. It had close to 100 relays in the custom test bed and
there was always one failing. DG had to keep a field engineer n site to
keep it running while I only had to repair the SA test bed once in four
years, after IT decided to 'Upgrade' from Win 2.0 to Win 95. Our in
house metrology lab calibrated & certified the test equipment.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

"They" get to your computer through your internet connection, by using
telnet or remote shell. I actually had a password sniffed and a computer
hijacked to be a spambot - I didn't discover it until somebody called
me and asked, "Why is your computer pinging me?"

How did they locate you? I have a fixed ip on the public internet and I can't find my
location info since my ISP doesn't list the location of customers by IP address.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Rich Grise ? wrote:

?"They" get to your computer through your internet connection, by using
?telnet or remote shell. I actually had a password sniffed and a computer
?hijacked to be a spambot - I didn't discover it until somebody called
?me and asked, "Why is your computer pinging me?"

How did they locate you? I have a fixed ip on the public internet and I can't find my
location info since my ISP doesn't list the location of customers by IP address.

Wes

http://www.dnsstuff.com is one place to do an IP lookup. As for the
rest of his story?

BTW, someone tried to hack my Facebook page the other day. I had to
jump through a bunch of hoops and reset the password.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

"They" get to your computer through your internet connection, by using
telnet or remote shell. I actually had a password sniffed and a computer
hijacked to be a spambot - I didn't discover it until somebody called
me and asked, "Why is your computer pinging me?"

How did they locate you? I have a fixed ip on the public internet and I
can't find my location info since my ISP doesn't list the location of
customers by IP address.

They probably had a bot that just pinged everything and probed for easy
accounts to hack. Send out a ping, if it gets a response, start trying
various logins until something answers.

It was entirely my fault - I had an account called "user", with a
password of "pass." I was very naive in those days, depending on
"security by obscurity."

I got fired. )-;

Thanks,
Rich