Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Off Topic, But Important... Firefox users read please

Wes wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

"They" get to your computer through your internet connection, by using
telnet or remote shell. I actually had a password sniffed and a computer
hijacked to be a spambot - I didn't discover it until somebody called
me and asked, "Why is your computer pinging me?"

How did they locate you? I have a fixed ip on the public internet and I
can't find my location info since my ISP doesn't list the location of
customers by IP address.

They probably had a bot that just pinged everything and probed for easy
accounts to hack. Send out a ping, if it gets a response, start trying
various logins until something answers.

It was entirely my fault - I had an account called "user", with a
password of "pass." I was very naive in those days, depending on
"security by obscurity."

I got fired. )-;

Thanks,
Rich