Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Off Topic, But Important... Firefox users read please

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
If you use Firefox, you may want to check this setting... Before someone
else gains access to your PC and does it for themselves. As a computer user
since the 1980's and a non-malicious hacker-type, I tend to find the flaws
pretty quickly, use strong passwords and tread carefully on the internet.
This one caught me off guard as I was not aware of it and it is a huge
liability to anyone not going it.

First, follow these steps:

Open Firefox
Tools
Security (tab)
Saved Passwords

...If you get past this point, you do not have a master password set up in
Firefox. That means that ANYONE who has access to your computer has access
to your passwords.

To fix this problem, follow these steps:

Open Firefox
Tools
Security (tab)
Click the small box next to "Use a master password"
Set master password now!

Now try clicking on "Saved Passwords" and it should require the master
password to view that area, thus adding another level of security to your
browsing program.

...As far as I know, Explorer doesn't offer this. I'm sure someone will be
along shortly with alternate info if that is not the case.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Thanks for the heads up I've unchecked the save passwords checkbox,
might save me being prompted with the "do you want to save passwords for
this site" dialogue. Actually the problem isn't one for me as I never
allow it to save passwords when the opportunity arises as I still have a
memory and can remember various things like that easily. I don't know
how others that have poor memories deal with these sorts of thing these
days as it seems like there is always another PIN number or such to
remember.