Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can one breathe industrial oxygen

On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
I was a smoker for many years so I regarded risk of sucking on the
welding oxy as negligable. So far so good, no news. I may outlive
Mary, who did everything right. Nobody said life would be fair.

Life is definitely not fair.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
I was a smoker for many years so I regarded risk of sucking on the
welding oxy as negligable. So far so good, no news. I may outlive
Mary, who did everything right. Nobody said life would be fair.

Life is definitely not fair.

.......... and there is no justice in the world. If every child could learn
that by age 5, the world would be a better place. But we get this idea that
life should be fair. "Johnny took my truck," wails Billy to Mom. Mom goes
and gets the truck back, smacks Johnny, and lectures him on fairness. Billy
witnesses this, and gets the idea that there is some central agency that
keeps things "fair". He progresses through life with this twisted thinking.
In life, he hires or retains many bottomfeeding lawyers at different times,
and has all sorts of legal incidents where he struggles for "fairness and
justice." Then he has incidents where he gets the short end of the stick,
and becomes neurotic, or worse, psychotic. Or homicidal.

Live isn't fair, and there's no justice in the world. People who get burned
by hot coffee get millions, and someone who is truly disabled by an accident
gets squadoosh.

It is comforting, though, for those of us who believe in an afterlife, that
everyone will have to give an accounting of all the times they raped their
fellow man, figuratively speaking, of course. Or maybe literally!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Yep. I learned this at the age of 25. It was a revelation for me and
it really simplified my world view.

Live isn't fair, and there's no justice in the world. People who get burned
by hot coffee get millions, and someone who is truly disabled by an accident
gets squadoosh.

Except that the woman who got burned by that hot coffee did not get
millions. She did not even get one million.

It is comforting, though, for those of us who believe in an afterlife, that
everyone will have to give an accounting of all the times they raped their
fellow man, figuratively speaking, of course. Or maybe literally!

Yep, perhaps the paradise will have peepholes into hell, through which
the good men in paradise will rape the bad men in hell, or something.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8927" wrote

Except that the woman who got burned by that hot coffee did not get
millions. She did not even get one million.

Yes, but you have to admit that a lot of people have gotten big bucks for
small injuries. Or perceived injuries and transgressions and "emotional
distress."

And a lot of walking wounded left the courtroom with empty pockets.

Knew I should have been more specific.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

snip

My mother explained that to me the first time I ever whined "it isn't
fair". She said life wasn't fair and to get over it. I was maybe 5.
She had a pretty good grasp on raising all of us.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus8927" wrote

Except that the woman who got burned by that hot coffee did not get
millions. She did not even get one million.

Yes, but you have to admit that a lot of people have gotten big bucks for
small injuries. Or perceived injuries and transgressions and "emotional
distress."

And a lot of walking wounded left the courtroom with empty pockets.

Knew I should have been more specific.

Steve

From my experience with the US legal system, working a lot with trial
lawyers and being on a jury or two, I'd say they come up with the
correct verdict about 25% of the time at best.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus8927" wrote

Except that the woman who got burned by that hot coffee did not get
millions. She did not even get one million.

Yes, but you have to admit that a lot of people have gotten big bucks for
small injuries. Or perceived injuries and transgressions and "emotional
distress."

Yes, I agree. It is not as bad as some think, but real.

And a lot of walking wounded left the courtroom with empty pockets.

Also true.

Knew I should have been more specific.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

I read an essay describing your position as one of the unarguable,
fundamental differences between conservatives and liberals. The essay
said that the first child tends to consider the world fair and just
(or at least neutral), with absolutes of proper behavior, and
subsequent children were more likely to see it as actively unfair,
meaning that to them the end of their survival justifies any means,
especially pulling down others to attain relative superiority, while
the first child tries to improve themselves regardless of the status
of others.

That idea popped up again in a survey of fans of Dancing With The
Stars, which is considerably more popular on the Right, presumably as
it reinforces the belief that people can advance through their own
efforts. The author of that piece noted that the Left prefers to watch
dysfunctional characters they can feel superior to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8927 wrote:

Yep, perhaps the paradise will have peepholes into hell, through which
the good men in paradise will rape the bad men in hell, or something.

What good is "eternal bliss," when you're dead and can't feel it?

I wouldn't want to go to some imaginary white-on-white-on-white fantasyland
that's populated by self-righteous, excruciatingly boring prigs. I want to
go to where all the interesting, colorful, and downright FUN people are
going! :-

Of course, I'll be dead, so it won't make much difference anyway. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

My mother explained that to me the first time I ever whined "it isn't
fair". She said life wasn't fair and to get over it. I was maybe 5.
She had a pretty good grasp on raising all of us.

If you've got two kids and one piece of cake, have one kid divide the cake
in half, and the other one pick which half he/she wants.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus8927" wrote

Except that the woman who got burned by that hot coffee did not get
millions. She did not even get one million.

Yes, but you have to admit that a lot of people have gotten big bucks for
small injuries. Or perceived injuries and transgressions and "emotional
distress."

And a lot of walking wounded left the courtroom with empty pockets.

Knew I should have been more specific.

That's why we so desperately need Tort Reform. Of course, the liberals
aren't having any truck with such a conservative idea.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
I was a smoker for many years so I regarded risk of sucking on the
welding oxy as negligable. So far so good, no news. I may outlive
Mary, who did everything right. Nobody said life would be fair.

Life is definitely not fair.

Tom Lehrer once quipped, "Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it
depends on what you put into it."

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

That idea popped up again in a survey of fans of Dancing With The
Stars, which is considerably more popular on the Right, presumably as
it reinforces the belief that people can advance through their own
efforts. The author of that piece noted that the Left prefers to watch
dysfunctional characters they can feel superior to.

I watch some sitcoms, primarily because there's not much else to do on
a budget of zero dollars, and, like you said, to feel superior to the
psychos on the shows; but I find myself talking back at them - usually
something like "Well, why don't they just some relatively sane thing,"
and always realize, Heck, if they did the common-sense thing, they wouldn't
have a half-hour show to air! ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Perhaps that's why we're seeing all the wailing about "senseless
murders" in AZ, as opposed to more sensible murders?

Live isn't fair, and there's no justice in the world. People who get burned
by hot coffee get millions, and someone who is truly disabled by an accident
gets squadoosh.

It is comforting, though, for those of us who believe in an afterlife, that
everyone will have to give an accounting of all the times they raped their
fellow man, figuratively speaking, of course. Or maybe literally!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

Perhaps that's why we're seeing all the wailing about "senseless
murders" in AZ, as opposed to more sensible murders?

The MSM always ignores the more sensible murders. ;-)

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:33:44 -0600, Pete Keillor
wrote:

Yep. I learned this at the age of 25. It was a revelation for me and
it really simplified my world view.

snip

My mother explained that to me the first time I ever whined "it isn't
fair". She said life wasn't fair and to get over it. I was maybe 5.
She had a pretty good grasp on raising all of us.

Pete Keillor

When I griped at about age 9 that my mother always seemed to side with
those "against me" and noted that I thought a parent's job was to
defend her children from a hostile world, she said she was less
worried about the world's effect on me than about how I might damage
the world.

Some days ya jist cain't pee a drop.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

You guys with TVs just don't realize how bad you have it, being forced
to watch that crap for weeks on end with no new data being added.

Pobrecitos!

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Perhaps that's why we're seeing all the wailing about "senseless
murders" in AZ, as opposed to more sensible murders?

You guys with TVs just don't realize how bad you have it, being forced
to watch that crap for weeks on end with no new data being added.

Pobrecitos!

I have a TV. I bicycled past a flag at half mast yesterday and didn't
know why so I had to turn it on. Seen all the news about now we need
gun control. I'll leave it off for a month now.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

newsKednZ4Dy6KUJrDQnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@giganews. com...
On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Yep. I personally can never make myself watch TV.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Yep. I learned this at the age of 25. It was a revelation for me and
it really simplified my world view.

snip

My mother explained that to me the first time I ever whined "it isn't
fair". She said life wasn't fair and to get over it. I was maybe 5.
She had a pretty good grasp on raising all of us.

Pete Keillor

When I griped at about age 9 that my mother always seemed to side with
those "against me" and noted that I thought a parent's job was to
defend her children from a hostile world, she said she was less
worried about the world's effect on me than about how I might damage
the world.

Some days ya jist cain't pee a drop.

They have medicine for that, these days. ;-)

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 06:46:14 -0500, Karl Townsend

Perhaps that's why we're seeing all the wailing about "senseless
murders" in AZ, as opposed to more sensible murders?

You guys with TVs just don't realize how bad you have it, being forced
to watch that crap for weeks on end with no new data being added.

Pobrecitos!

I have a TV. I bicycled past a flag at half mast yesterday and didn't
know why so I had to turn it on. Seen all the news about now we need
gun control. I'll leave it off for a month now.

One Atta Boy! comin' atcha, Karl!

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 07:52:24 -0600, Ignoramus2894

On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Goodonya, mate. Now if we can wean you from your libby left
newspaper, we might open your eyes a bit more about the damage The
Chosen One has done (and is doing) to the country and the world.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

Perhaps that's why we're seeing all the wailing about "senseless
murders" in AZ, as opposed to more sensible murders?

The MSM always ignores the more sensible murders. ;-)

Oddly enough, I've noted a number of reports of effective defensive gun
use in the MSM media (CNN and local stations mostly) over the past year
or so.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

I generally don't watch any TV during the warmer months. During the
winter when it's too friggin' cold to work on projects I'll watch a
limited amount of TV.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

The only newspaper that I read is Wall Street Journal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:56:43 -0600, Ignoramus2894

On 2011-01-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
Goodonya, mate. Now if we can wean you from your libby left
newspaper, we might open your eyes a bit more about the damage The
Chosen One has done (and is doing) to the country and the world.

The only newspaper that I read is Wall Street Journal.

Then where do you get all your Chosen One info? (What newspapers does
your wife read?)

Why is he such a hero for you? I only wish he were anything close to
that. I had hopes when he was elected but soon lost all of those.

--
A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.
-- William S. Burroughs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
Goodonya, mate. Now if we can wean you from your libby left
newspaper, we might open your eyes a bit more about the damage The
Chosen One has done (and is doing) to the country and the world.

The only newspaper that I read is Wall Street Journal.

Then where do you get all your Chosen One info? (What newspapers does
your wife read?)

I personally think for myself.

I get facts from media.

I do not get opinions from media, like Fox News viewers.

Why is he such a hero for you? I only wish he were anything close to
that. I had hopes when he was elected but soon lost all of those.

He is a great president, promoting well being of the United States in
very difficult circumstances. Economic recovery is solidly under way
and we have reached the pre-depression level of GDP. He is also very
honest, unlike his predecessor. Avoids doing anything disruptively
radical.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

Perhaps that's why we're seeing all the wailing about "senseless
murders" in AZ, as opposed to more sensible murders?

The MSM always ignores the more sensible murders. ;-)

Oddly enough, I've noted a number of reports of effective defensive gun
use in the MSM media (CNN and local stations mostly) over the past year
or so.

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/C...0111111902.jpg

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

Perhaps that's why we're seeing all the wailing about "senseless
murders" in AZ, as opposed to more sensible murders?

The MSM always ignores the more sensible murders. ;-)

Oddly enough, I've noted a number of reports of effective defensive gun
use in the MSM media (CNN and local stations mostly) over the past year
or so.

Unfortunately they still quite small number when compared to their
usual 'Guns are evil' stories.

Just like one of the local weathermen who has to rant about 'Global
Warming' every time we break another low temperature record.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Steve B wrote:
lid wrote

Except that the woman who got burned by that hot coffee did not get
millions. She did not even get one million.

Yes, but you have to admit that a lot of people have gotten big bucks for
small injuries. Or perceived injuries and transgressions and "emotional
distress."

And a lot of walking wounded left the courtroom with empty pockets.

Knew I should have been more specific.

That's why we so desperately need Tort Reform. Of course, the liberals
aren't having any truck with such a conservative idea.

Thanks,
Rich

You don't really need tort reform you just need intelligent jurys.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-01-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I have this wonderful swampland which would be the perfect location
for your new home...

--
A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.
-- William S. Burroughs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:42:56 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

Perhaps that's why we're seeing all the wailing about "senseless
murders" in AZ, as opposed to more sensible murders?

The MSM always ignores the more sensible murders. ;-)

Oddly enough, I've noted a number of reports of effective defensive gun
use in the MSM media (CNN and local stations mostly) over the past year
or so.

Just one thing about carrying.
If you show it, you damned well better be willing to use it.
You armed, punk not = deterrence.
You armed, punk armed = escalation. One or the other or both is going
to get shot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John wrote:

You don't really need tort reform you just need intelligent jurys.

John

And just where would you ever find 12 of them?
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"Pete C." wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

Perhaps that's why we're seeing all the wailing about "senseless
murders" in AZ, as opposed to more sensible murders?

The MSM always ignores the more sensible murders. ;-)

Oddly enough, I've noted a number of reports of effective defensive gun
use in the MSM media (CNN and local stations mostly) over the past year
or so.

Unfortunately they still quite small number when compared to their
usual 'Guns are evil' stories.

Just like one of the local weathermen who has to rant about 'Global
Warming' every time we break another low temperature record.

Also unfortunately, there are no statistics on the number of crimes
prevented by personal self-defense, because, since the crime wasn't
committed, there's nothing to report!

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can one breathe second ammendment rights

I saw year ago. A two window cartoon. Gun rights 1776, and
gun rights 1985. The one window showed Redcoats going door
to door to collect muskets at night. Second window was
Chippies, in New Orleans. I have the picture on drive some
where, but I couldn't find it on the net.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Grise" wrote in message

Oddly enough, I've noted a number of reports of effective
defensive gun
use in the MSM media (CNN and local stations mostly) over
the past year
or so.

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/C...0111111902.jpg

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can one defend self

Most gun owners know the drill. A crime has been committed.
The suspect has run away. Gun owner calls the cops. The cops
have a choice of 1) do nothing, 2) pursue the suspect who
has run away, 3) arrest the law abiding gun owner. Pursuing
suspects is risky. they tend to shoot at cops. Much safer
and easier to arrest the law abiding gun owner.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Grise" wrote in message

Just like one of the local weathermen who has to rant
about 'Global
Warming' every time we break another low temperature
record.

Also unfortunately, there are no statistics on the number of
crimes
prevented by personal self-defense, because, since the crime
wasn't
committed, there's nothing to report!

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lewis Hartswick wrote:

John wrote:

You don't really need tort reform you just need intelligent jurys.

John

And just where would you ever find 12 of them?
...lew...

You find plenty of them in every pool of potential jurors, but the
corrupt system is designed to eliminate them from the final jury
selection.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:05:20 -0700, Lewis Hartswick
wrote:

John wrote:

You don't really need tort reform you just need intelligent jurys.

John

And just where would you ever find 12 of them?
...lew...

Not on this group!!!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 08:24:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Ignoramus8927" wrote in
message news On 2011-01-12, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

I watch the morning news to see what the weather prediction is for the day .
And because the traffic report chick is a hottie .
I was gonna say don't tell my wife , but I suspect she already knows .
--
Snag
Learning keeps