Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can one breathe industrial oxygen

Rich Grise wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

This a a notable risk, particularly if you plan to be breathing this
pure O2 in proximity to a running engine. A safer option would be to
breath air from your compressor via a proper filter. Such filters are
available commercially to provide breathing air from shop air. I expect
Iggy can find one used for $25.

Or you could probably get an aquarium pump for about ten bucks. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

An aquarium pump isn't likely to supply sufficient volume.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

This a a notable risk, particularly if you plan to be breathing this
pure O2 in proximity to a running engine. A safer option would be to
breath air from your compressor via a proper filter. Such filters are
available commercially to provide breathing air from shop air. I expect
Iggy can find one used for $25.

Or you could probably get an aquarium pump for about ten bucks. ;-)

An aquarium pump isn't likely to supply sufficient volume.

OK, fair enough. What do I know anyway? ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 18:16:22 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

This a a notable risk, particularly if you plan to be breathing this
pure O2 in proximity to a running engine. A safer option would be to
breath air from your compressor via a proper filter. Such filters are
available commercially to provide breathing air from shop air. I expect
Iggy can find one used for $25.

Or you could probably get an aquarium pump for about ten bucks. ;-)

An aquarium pump isn't likely to supply sufficient volume.

OK, fair enough. What do I know anyway? ;-)

That depends on the aquarium. I've seen giant tanks whose air pumps
would blow your lungs out in a split second. (Try sucking down 350CFM
@40psi from a 5hp blower, Pete.)
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...-by-Swee****er

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

This a a notable risk, particularly if you plan to be breathing this
pure O2 in proximity to a running engine. A safer option would be to
breath air from your compressor via a proper filter. Such filters are
available commercially to provide breathing air from shop air. I
expect Iggy can find one used for $25.

Or you could probably get an aquarium pump for about ten bucks. ;-)

An aquarium pump isn't likely to supply sufficient volume.

OK, fair enough. What do I know anyway? ;-)

That depends on the aquarium. I've seen giant tanks whose air pumps
would blow your lungs out in a split second. (Try sucking down 350CFM
@40psi from a 5hp blower, Pete.)

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...-by-Swee****er

Oh, of course, but you probably couldn't pick one up for ten bucks at the
pet store! ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

This a a notable risk, particularly if you plan to be breathing this
pure O2 in proximity to a running engine. A safer option would be to
breath air from your compressor via a proper filter. Such filters are
available commercially to provide breathing air from shop air. I expect
Iggy can find one used for $25.

Or you could probably get an aquarium pump for about ten bucks. ;-)

An aquarium pump isn't likely to supply sufficient volume.

OK, fair enough. What do I know anyway? ;-)

That depends on the aquarium. I've seen giant tanks whose air pumps
would blow your lungs out in a split second. (Try sucking down 350CFM
@40psi from a 5hp blower, Pete.)
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...-by-Swee****er

Yea, that would do it, but would also do in your wallet as well... I've
got a 15HP, 15CFM, 4,000PSI SCUBA/SCBA compressor sitting out in my shop
waiting for me to get around to overhauling it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

This a a notable risk, particularly if you plan to be breathing this
pure O2 in proximity to a running engine. A safer option would be to
breath air from your compressor via a proper filter. Such filters are
available commercially to provide breathing air from shop air. I
expect Iggy can find one used for $25.

Or you could probably get an aquarium pump for about ten bucks. ;-)

An aquarium pump isn't likely to supply sufficient volume.

OK, fair enough. What do I know anyway? ;-)

That depends on the aquarium. I've seen giant tanks whose air pumps
would blow your lungs out in a split second. (Try sucking down 350CFM
@40psi from a 5hp blower, Pete.)

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...-by-Swee****er

Oh, of course, but you probably couldn't pick one up for ten bucks at the
pet store! ;-)

Details, details...

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
the only moral country in the history of the world.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

This a a notable risk, particularly if you plan to be breathing this
pure O2 in proximity to a running engine. A safer option would be to
breath air from your compressor via a proper filter. Such filters are
available commercially to provide breathing air from shop air. I expect
Iggy can find one used for $25.

Or you could probably get an aquarium pump for about ten bucks. ;-)

An aquarium pump isn't likely to supply sufficient volume.

OK, fair enough. What do I know anyway? ;-)

That depends on the aquarium. I've seen giant tanks whose air pumps
would blow your lungs out in a split second. (Try sucking down 350CFM
@40psi from a 5hp blower, Pete.)
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...-by-Swee****er

Yea, that would do it, but would also do in your wallet as well... I've

I own a lot of crowbars, but I'm certain that I couldn't get enough of
them into use to pry my wallet open for one of those pumps.

got a 15HP, 15CFM, 4,000PSI SCUBA/SCBA compressor sitting out in my shop
waiting for me to get around to overhauling it.

What'll that cost, I wonder?

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
the only moral country in the history of the world.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dOn 2011-01-12, Pete C. wrote:

Yea, that would do it, but would also do in your wallet as well... I've
got a 15HP, 15CFM, 4,000PSI SCUBA/SCBA compressor sitting out in my shop
waiting for me to get around to overhauling it.

Is that a military compressor?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

[...]

I suspect probably $1k or so for the necessary parts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8927 wrote:

dOn 2011-01-12, Pete C. wrote:

Yea, that would do it, but would also do in your wallet as well... I've
got a 15HP, 15CFM, 4,000PSI SCUBA/SCBA compressor sitting out in my shop
waiting for me to get around to overhauling it.

Is that a military compressor?

No, it's a commercial one as used at fire departments and dive shops.
Actually I believe it's rated to 6,000 PSI, though I don't really need
it that high to fill 3,000 PSI cylinders.