Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Today's Tidbit: Molasses and Rust

From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove
rust where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part
molasses and 10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 16:02:23 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:

From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove
rust where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part
molasses and 10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

Like magic, but a lot slower.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There have been scattered posts in RCM over the past several years, maybe
more, wrt molasses as a rust remover.
Most users have experienced positive results IIRC.

--
WB

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove rust
where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part molasses and
10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove
rust where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part
molasses and 10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

Works pretty good. I buy the molasses pellets at the farm store. Then
dump it in hot water to get it to break down faster. Toss the part in
and let it set. Takes a lot longer than electrolysis but it also
requires less equipment.
However it doesn't work at the current temperature in NY !!!

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove
rust where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part
molasses and 10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

Works pretty good. I buy the molasses pellets at the farm store. Then
dump it in hot water to get it to break down faster. Toss the part in
and let it set. Takes a lot longer than electrolysis but it also
requires less equipment.
However it doesn't work at the current temperature in NY !!!

What does? ;-)

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Tim,
It works well, I have used it to remove rust from my 30 ford
tudor. I mixed it about 1 part molasess to 9 parts water, in a small kids
wading pool. Soaked a door in it for about 3 days, pulled it out and hosed
it clean, put it back again for another couple of days. It came out
amazingly clean, but I had a problem with it rusting up again before I could
seal it. You can imagine trying to dry and seal the hidden insides of the
door frame. I solved it by pressure washing the door, then washing it with a
bicarb soda solution, I just put dry bicarb in the detergent bottle on a
cheap car wash gun, and hosed it over with that, then let it dry normally.
No surface rust
after two years in the shed with no paint!

A couple of things to watch, the part needs to be completely below the
surface,i f it sticks out into the air it will get eaten. It rusted the
frame of the wading pool in a few weeks. It smells, and it grows all sorts
of strange stuff. On a positive note, when I accidently put the corner of
the door through the wading pool, and drained all the molasses out onto the
lawn, the lawn loved it! It's cheap,I paid about $20 for 5 gallons from the
produce shop, the guy asked me what sort of horses I had, Chevy horses of
course !!

This Guy has a video series that shows the process
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZCFcxf5IBw

regards,
John

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove rust
where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part molasses and
10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove
rust where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part
molasses and 10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

Works pretty good. I buy the molasses pellets at the farm store. Then
dump it in hot water to get it to break down faster. Toss the part in
and let it set. Takes a lot longer than electrolysis but it also
requires less equipment.
However it doesn't work at the current temperature in NY !!!

What a freakin' waste of molasses! When I was a kid, my Mom let me
climb up on the kitchen counter and help myself to a couple of
spoonfuls of molasses - it was delicious!

For rust, why not just slather it with Naval Jelly?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove
rust where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part
molasses and 10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

Works pretty good. I buy the molasses pellets at the farm store. Then
dump it in hot water to get it to break down faster. Toss the part in
and let it set. Takes a lot longer than electrolysis but it also
requires less equipment.
However it doesn't work at the current temperature in NY !!!

What a freakin' waste of molasses! When I was a kid, my Mom let me
climb up on the kitchen counter and help myself to a couple of
spoonfuls of molasses - it was delicious!

For rust, why not just slather it with Naval Jelly?

Thanks,
Rich

Soaking it in the vat gets ALL the surfaces, plus it's non toxic, no
environmental problems, smells good and the best part ... VERY EASY,
Place a support shelf (something to keep the parts added later off the
bottom),Fill tank with water, Add molasses, add parts to be de-rusted.
Walk away. Come back in a day or two and see what they are doing, rinse
off the muck and if clean, finish. If not toss back in.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01/11/2011 03:18 AM, Rich Grise wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove
rust where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part
molasses and 10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

Works pretty good. I buy the molasses pellets at the farm store. Then
dump it in hot water to get it to break down faster. Toss the part in
and let it set. Takes a lot longer than electrolysis but it also
requires less equipment.
However it doesn't work at the current temperature in NY !!!

What a freakin' waste of molasses! When I was a kid, my Mom let me
climb up on the kitchen counter and help myself to a couple of
spoonfuls of molasses - it was delicious!

For rust, why not just slather it with Naval Jelly?

I keep my belly button clean, thank you, and I don't keep what comes out
of it!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

On 01/11/2011 03:18 AM, Rich Grise wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove
rust where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part
molasses and 10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

Works pretty good. I buy the molasses pellets at the farm store. Then
dump it in hot water to get it to break down faster. Toss the part in
and let it set. Takes a lot longer than electrolysis but it also
requires less equipment.
However it doesn't work at the current temperature in NY !!!

What a freakin' waste of molasses! When I was a kid, my Mom let me
climb up on the kitchen counter and help myself to a couple of
spoonfuls of molasses - it was delicious!

For rust, why not just slather it with Naval Jelly?

I keep my belly button clean, thank you, and I don't keep what comes out
of it!

Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Say, Mike, what's with this personal hardon for me? Or are you
just in need of medical attention?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Say, Mike, what's with this personal hardon for me? Or are you
just in need of medical attention?

Thanks,
Rich

No offense intended, Rich, but you do sometimes seem to antagonize...

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Say, Mike, what's with this personal hardon for me? Or are you
just in need of medical attention?

No offense intended, Rich, but you do sometimes seem to antagonize...

Yeah, sometimes, but what prompted his venom in this thread? What did
I say this time? What's antagonistic about saying that derusting with
molasses is a waste of molasses? (I'd rather eat the molasses, or use
it in cookies and use either Naval Jelly or, being an electronics geek,
the electrolytic method.

Maybe he's just ill.

BTW, I've quit even reading the political threads; it's always just the
same old crap, and quite tiresome.

_Some_ of us are educable.

Maybe that's it - I won't play his silly games any more.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Say, Mike, what's with this personal hardon for me? Or are you
just in need of medical attention?

Say, Rich, are you so drunk that you can't come up with a new
insult? You should just number them.

Are you afraid to answer my question? What's with the personal hardon?

As far as insults go, there's no need - you're the one that has to live
with yourself, which is evidently already quite sufficient punishment.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Say, Mike, what's with this personal hardon for me? Or are you
just in need of medical attention?

Say, Rich, are you so drunk that you can't come up with a new
insult? You should just number them.

Are you afraid to answer my question? What's with the personal hardon?

As far as insults go, there's no need - you're the one that has to live
with yourself, which is evidently already quite sufficient punishment.

Thanks,
Rich

You see, Rich?

That's what I mean.

TOO eager to take offense.

Not quite willing to let it go...

--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site:
www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Say, Mike, what's with this personal hardon for me? Or are you
just in need of medical attention?

Say, Rich, are you so drunk that you can't come up with a new
insult? You should just number them.

And then there is the old joke about wrassling with pigs...

I guess I need to kill file him on this newsgroup, too. That will
make six or seven.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Say, Mike, what's with this personal hardon for me? Or are you
just in need of medical attention?
Say, Rich, are you so drunk that you can't come up with a new
insult? You should just number them.

Are you afraid to answer my question? What's with the personal hardon?

As far as insults go, there's no need - you're the one that has to live
with yourself, which is evidently already quite sufficient punishment.

Thanks,
Rich

You see, Rich?

That's what I mean.

TOO eager to take offense.

Not quite willing to let it go...

He started this long ago, and you can't even joke with him. Why he
thinks anyone would get a hardon over him is still a mystery.

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 00:30:05 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Say, Mike, what's with this personal hardon for me? Or are you
just in need of medical attention?

Say, Rich, are you so drunk that you can't come up with a new
insult? You should just number them.

Are you afraid to answer my question? What's with the personal hardon?

As far as insults go, there's no need - you're the one that has to live
with yourself, which is evidently already quite sufficient punishment.

Just -plonk- him, as we have done, already.

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Say, Mike, what's with this personal hardon for me? Or are you
just in need of medical attention?
Say, Rich, are you so drunk that you can't come up with a new
insult? You should just number them.

Are you afraid to answer my question? What's with the personal hardon?

As far as insults go, there's no need - you're the one that has to live
with yourself, which is evidently already quite sufficient punishment.

Thanks,
Rich

You see, Rich?

That's what I mean.

TOO eager to take offense.

Not quite willing to let it go...

He started this long ago, and you can't even joke with him. Why he
thinks anyone would get a hardon over him is still a mystery.

et tu, Michael?

Richard, I have put up with him for years on the electronics
mewsgroups. I already had six lkill filters for him on this group. When
he stops getting attention, he creates another nym. I kill filed it,
too.

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

He started this long ago, and you can't even joke with him. Why he
thinks anyone would get a hardon over him is still a mystery.

That's why I keep asking where yours came from.

You sure are attentive for one who makes such a big deal out of plonking
me.

Oh, well; que sera sera.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Say, Mike, what's with this personal hardon for me? Or are you
just in need of medical attention?

Say, Rich, are you so drunk that you can't come up with a new
insult? You should just number them.

Are you afraid to answer my question? What's with the personal hardon?

As far as insults go, there's no need - you're the one that has to live
with yourself, which is evidently already quite sufficient punishment.

Just -plonk- him, as we have done, already.

I'm SOOOO tempted to say, "Ha ha, nanner nanner nanner, I win!" but I
believe I'll leave that kind of crap to the ones who still get off on
that sort of thing.

I _am_ trainable, expecially when youse guys do something like read me
the riot act about the political crap I posted that might have driven Ernie
away.

But it's SOOO easy to bait Michael (some might call me a Master Baiter,
which is certainly true in at least one sense :- ) - I can almost see
him giving himself a stroke raging at me.

Thanks!!
Rich

Today's Odd 'un ... Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 17 October 29th 10 04:34 PM
Does Rust Breed Rust? DerbyDad03[_2_] Home Repair 21 October 13th 08 09:58 PM
OT- The Great Boston Molasses Tragedy Gunner Metalworking 4 October 10th 05 11:10 PM
Interesting tidbit meirman Home Repair 6 September 9th 05 07:18 PM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM