Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Today's Tidbit: Molasses and Rust

On 01/11/2011 03:18 AM, Rich Grise wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove
rust where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part
molasses and 10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

Works pretty good. I buy the molasses pellets at the farm store. Then
dump it in hot water to get it to break down faster. Toss the part in
and let it set. Takes a lot longer than electrolysis but it also
requires less equipment.
However it doesn't work at the current temperature in NY !!!

What a freakin' waste of molasses! When I was a kid, my Mom let me
climb up on the kitchen counter and help myself to a couple of
spoonfuls of molasses - it was delicious!

For rust, why not just slather it with Naval Jelly?

I keep my belly button clean, thank you, and I don't keep what comes out
of it!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services