Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Johnson[_2_] John Johnson[_2_] is offline

Default Today's Tidbit: Molasses and Rust

Hi Tim,
It works well, I have used it to remove rust from my 30 ford
tudor. I mixed it about 1 part molasess to 9 parts water, in a small kids
wading pool. Soaked a door in it for about 3 days, pulled it out and hosed
it clean, put it back again for another couple of days. It came out
amazingly clean, but I had a problem with it rusting up again before I could
seal it. You can imagine trying to dry and seal the hidden insides of the
door frame. I solved it by pressure washing the door, then washing it with a
bicarb soda solution, I just put dry bicarb in the detergent bottle on a
cheap car wash gun, and hosed it over with that, then let it dry normally.
No surface rust
after two years in the shed with no paint!

A couple of things to watch, the part needs to be completely below the
surface,i f it sticks out into the air it will get eaten. It rusted the
frame of the wading pool in a few weeks. It smells, and it grows all sorts
of strange stuff. On a positive note, when I accidently put the corner of
the door through the wading pool, and drained all the molasses out onto the
lawn, the lawn loved it! It's cheap,I paid about $20 for 5 gallons from the
produce shop, the guy asked me what sort of horses I had, Chevy horses of
course !!

This Guy has a video series that shows the process
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZCFcxf5IBw

regards,
John

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove rust
where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part molasses and
10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

--

Tim Wescott