Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Today's Tidbit: Molasses and Rust

Rich Grise wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove
rust where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part
molasses and 10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

Works pretty good. I buy the molasses pellets at the farm store. Then
dump it in hot water to get it to break down faster. Toss the part in
and let it set. Takes a lot longer than electrolysis but it also
requires less equipment.
However it doesn't work at the current temperature in NY !!!

What a freakin' waste of molasses! When I was a kid, my Mom let me
climb up on the kitchen counter and help myself to a couple of
spoonfuls of molasses - it was delicious!

For rust, why not just slather it with Naval Jelly?

Thanks,
Rich

Soaking it in the vat gets ALL the surfaces, plus it's non toxic, no
environmental problems, smells good and the best part ... VERY EASY,
Place a support shelf (something to keep the parts added later off the
bottom),Fill tank with water, Add molasses, add parts to be de-rusted.
Walk away. Come back in a day or two and see what they are doing, rinse
off the muck and if clean, finish. If not toss back in.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)