Old October 11th 08, 01:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does Rust Breed Rust?

A question entered my mind as I was sprucing up my utility trailer. I
removed the strap hinges and closure brackets, etc. so I could clean off
the rust, re-paint, etc.

There are lots of mating surfaces where rust was present on both
surfaces, such as the back of the hinge plates and the trailer itself. I
started wondering what would happen if I used a wire wheel to get the
rust off one surface, but not the other. (That's not my plan, just my
thoughts as I was working.)

All other things being equal (weather, moisture, etc) as they would be,
does the mere presence of rust on one surface make the other surface
more apt to rust?

Old October 11th 08, 02:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
All other things being equal (weather, moisture, etc) as they would be,
does the mere presence of rust on one surface make the other surface
more apt to rust?

No. If anything, the rusty surface will tend to inhibit or slow down
additional oxidation of the material as it tends to act as a barrier.
Cleaning the rust layer off exposes fresh material to be oxidized.

Old October 11th 08, 02:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
A question entered my mind as I was sprucing up my utility trailer. I
removed the strap hinges and closure brackets, etc. so I could clean
off the rust, re-paint, etc.

There are lots of mating surfaces where rust was present on both
surfaces, such as the back of the hinge plates and the trailer
itself. I started wondering what would happen if I used a wire wheel
to get the rust off one surface, but not the other. (That's not my
plan, just my thoughts as I was working.)

All other things being equal (weather, moisture, etc) as they would
be, does the mere presence of rust on one surface make the other
surface more apt to rust?

There is nothing in rust - iron oxide - to cause iron to rust as it is
stable. However, rust is sort of porous and that means it could retain
moisture and *that* would cause rust in the unrusted and unprotected
surface.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old October 11th 08, 02:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Blattus Slafaly wrote:
...Back in early earth history before oxygen, ... ?????

Old October 11th 08, 02:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

A question entered my mind as I was sprucing up my utility trailer. I
removed the strap hinges and closure brackets, etc. so I could clean
off the rust, re-paint, etc.

There are lots of mating surfaces where rust was present on both
surfaces, such as the back of the hinge plates and the trailer itself.
I started wondering what would happen if I used a wire wheel to get
the rust off one surface, but not the other. (That's not my plan, just
my thoughts as I was working.)

All other things being equal (weather, moisture, etc) as they would
be, does the mere presence of rust on one surface make the other
surface more apt to rust?

The surfaces would have to be clean and not exposed to air or water in
order not to rust, right? A rusty metal coating would probably
encapsulate small amounts of residual rust and so exclude air and
water. Otherwise, rust will continue. Don't ask for sources.......just
my logic at work ) Now, if all rust is removed but differing metals
are in contact then I think you get electrolysis. Never seen that, but
it eats up some metals.

Old October 11th 08, 04:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:40:56 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

A question entered my mind as I was sprucing up my utility trailer. I
removed the strap hinges and closure brackets, etc. so I could clean off
the rust, re-paint, etc.

There are lots of mating surfaces where rust was present on both
surfaces, such as the back of the hinge plates and the trailer itself. I
started wondering what would happen if I used a wire wheel to get the
rust off one surface, but not the other. (That's not my plan, just my
thoughts as I was working.)

All other things being equal (weather, moisture, etc) as they would be,
does the mere presence of rust on one surface make the other surface
more apt to rust?

Yes. Rust retains moisture.

Old October 11th 08, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 8:40*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

All other things being equal (weather, moisture, etc) as they would be,
does the mere presence of rust on one surface make the other surface
more apt to rust?

Yep.

Rust Never Sleeps- Neil Young
-----

- gpsman
Old October 11th 08, 07:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:

Blattus Slafaly wrote:
...Back in early earth history before oxygen, ... ?????

Free oxygen in the atmosphere comes from plants.
Scientists believe, before plants evolved there was no
free oxygen in the atmosphere.

Sounds right to me.
Old October 11th 08, 08:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Dan Espen wrote:
dpb writes:

Blattus Slafaly wrote:
...Back in early earth history before oxygen, ... ?????

Free oxygen in the atmosphere comes from plants.
Scientists believe, before plants evolved there was no
free oxygen in the atmosphere.

Sounds right to me.

Some of that's right, some of it isn't...

rust gene Home Repair 2 June 7th 06 11:40 PM
Rust CharterNews Woodworking 22 August 3rd 05 08:50 PM
O/T: Is rust magnetic? s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 5 July 26th 05 11:28 PM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM
OT-Rust Ed Rear UK diy 6 March 2nd 04 09:38 AM