Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Does Rust Breed Rust?

wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:35:08 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

my wifes car had repeated flats when temperatures changed. one
aluminum wheel got damaged and was reploaced with a steel one. the
steel one never went flat.

tire store showed me the aluminum oxidation, I replaced all wheels
with steel ones, that ended the seasonal flats

I've had leaking problems on every car I have ever had with aluminum
wheels. The bead seal gets iffy when temps get chilly. Not flats, just
won't hold over 20 pounds on one or more tires. I finally found a tire
shop with the right goop to paint the rims with when mounting them, and
the problems went away.

--

If you clean the rims with steel wool and wipe a thin film of Dow
Corning 111 on them they won't leak. This is similar to spark plug

Well, not having a tire mounting machine of my own, I am pretty much at
the mercy of the fellows at the local tire stores, for cures to this
kind of problem. Mayhaps this Dow 111 you spoke of is what they used.
The shop specializes in fancy wheels for people that like fancy wheels,
so they evidently learned to do it correctly to reduce their cost for
reworks. My wheels were not fancy, just the factory 'premium' wheels.
Not being rich enough to buy new cars, I am pretty much stuck with
whatever they have on them. If I were to buy a new car, it would have
steel wheels and dog-dish hubcaps, just to keep the mud off the lugs.

--
aem sends...

--
aem sends...