meirman

Default Interesting tidbit

Interesting tidbit:

I needed a new socket for my electric range. At Lowe's and HD, they
were all made in China. (Didn't think to go the supply store I just
found that sells retail with no problem.)

Put the big metal clip around the black plastic socket and tested it
by inserting the burner coil. Took out the coil and the metal had
bent. Barely tight enough anymore to hold the plastic socket.

So I tried the original clip, which is 26 years old and dirty. Yet,
when I pushed the plastic socket passed the edge of the holes in the
clip, the clip went "boing", and clipped firmly. Better after 26
years than the foreign one is new.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Edwin Pawlowski

"meirman" wrote in message

So I tried the original clip, which is 26 years old and dirty. Yet,
when I pushed the plastic socket passed the edge of the holes in the
clip, the clip went "boing", and clipped firmly. Better after 26
years than the foreign one is new.

But 26 years ago, most everything on appliances fit better and was higher
quality. The people in China make what they are asked and specified to
make.

Guernsy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote
The people in China make what they are asked and specified to
make.

And most people still blame the Chinese instead of the American companies
which put out the specs.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:05:26 GMT "Guernsy"
posted:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote
The people in China make what they are asked and specified to
make.

And most people still blame the Chinese instead of the American companies
which put out the specs.

Is it possible that what they are making is not up to spec? Maybe
they sell better to repairmen, but the people who buy at HD and
Lowe's** are homeowners, and they either don't test the clip before
they install it, like I did (the most likely scenario); or they don't
notice that the metal bends; or they do as I did and use the original
clip and don't complain to anyone; or they use the new one and don't
realize it should be springier. So maybe Lowe's never hears that the
metal clip is low quality.

Why should we assume they always ship what is ordered? Do Americans
always ship what is ordered? There were stories a while back of Asian
bolts and nuts being used in place of American ones, and the Asian
ones (at least the ones in these cases) breaking.

**To be fair, although they were both made in China, the one I used
was sold at Lowe's. They were both in bubble packs and I only opened
one.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 09 Sep 2005 01:44:26 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski"
posted:

"meirman" wrote in message

So I tried the original clip, which is 26 years old and dirty. Yet,
when I pushed the plastic socket passed the edge of the holes in the
clip, the clip went "boing", and clipped firmly. Better after 26
years than the foreign one is new.

But 26 years ago, most everything on appliances fit better and was higher
quality. The people in China make what they are asked and specified to
make.

That could be the reason. If so, why weren't they asked to make the
metal springy, considering that it is a clip.

Is there some place I could have bought a receptacle with a better
quality clip. The supply store I mentioned? Ordering straight from
Kenmore? Are these the same clips that are used on new stoves now?

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Edwin Pawlowski

"meirman" wrote in message

That could be the reason. If so, why weren't they asked to make the
metal springy, considering that it is a clip.

It would cost a couple of pennies more. No matter what the use, aftermarket
replacement parts for appliances, automobiles, etc are oftne a little
cheaper made than the factory equipment. That is so Lowes and HD can sell
them cheaper than your local appliance store.

Is there some place I could have bought a receptacle with a better
quality clip. The supply store I mentioned? Ordering straight from
Kenmore? Are these the same clips that are used on new stoves now?

Can't say specifically. Sometimes the dealers of that brand sell exact
replacement parts that are identical to the factory. Other times the
replacements for older units are a cheaper grade.

My original comments were because this is a common practice for years, no
matter the source of the parts. China is capable of making top quality parts
as well as the junk ordered by quick buck sellers looking for cheap sources.
To say what this case is on either method is pure speculation no knowing who
ordered and specified the parts and what and why certain materials.

stevie

i remember when i was younger, we would laugh at products that said 'Made in
Japan'. it was almost always low quality stuff.

nowadays Japan makes pretty good stuff. eventually, China may do the same.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote