Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gage block set question...

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ordered the Enco 81 pc economy gage
block set (Enco 630-4115)? I ordered one recently with the sale and
October 20% discount, and it seems pretty nice, especially for the
price.

It came with an inspection certificate claiming NIST tracability and
listing the size deviation from the reference standard for each block in
millionths by block serial number. Every block I've measured with my
digital micrometer so far has been spot on, which would be expected
since the blocks are supposed to be 10X more accurate.

The set certainly seems plenty accurate for my needs, but I'm curious if
the inspection certificate is legit or if every set has the same
certificate and serial numbers. If you have this set, please post the
set SN and a few block SNs and deviations.

Set SN 81PCS-1723
0.100" SN 61398 +4
0.500" SN 73231 -13
1.000" SN 79604 -1
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

[...]

Once upon a time I asked that same question on Practical Machinist. Damn that
moderator/board op hates Chinese stuff with a passion. I never got an answer.

I've done the same tests with a mitutoyo digital mic, they seem okay to the limits of my
measuring tools.

Work was supposed to buy some very expensive measuring equipment to self certify but each
year other priorities win out over that proposal. I keep hoping though.

The other day I was cutting a key way and my little brain realized, hey, use your gage
blocks to test it. Small key ways can bit a b*tch to get right due ot cutter deflection.
Well at least for me.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

[...]

For the $47.96 the set cost with the sale, I could have ordered two to
see for myself if I had thought of it when ordering. I do find it
amazing that someone (even in China) might have individually precision
measured all 81 blocks in a set that sold for that price, but I suppose
it's possible.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-30, Wes wrote:

Once upon a time I asked that same question on Practical Machinist. Damn that
moderator/board op hates Chinese stuff with a passion. I never got an answer.

The moderator also forbids mentioning cnczone.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 19:51:30 -0500, Ignoramus9310

On 2010-10-30, Wes wrote:

Once upon a time I asked that same question on Practical Machinist. Damn that
moderator/board op hates Chinese stuff with a passion. I never got an answer.

The moderator also forbids mentioning cnczone.

I was banned from there for saying I liked the zone better and using
my business logo for my avatar. i haven't looked back.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 30, 6:59*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

For the $47.96 the set cost with the sale, I could have ordered two to
see for myself if I had thought of it when ordering. I do find it
amazing that someone (even in China) might have individually precision
measured all 81 blocks in a set that sold for that price, but I suppose
it's possible.

My guess is that they have some automated measuring system that is
used to measure each block and provide correction to the machine that
grinds the blocks to size. You could probably measure every tenth
block to provide for the correction, but as long as you have the
measurement automated, you might as well measure each block and
provide the measurement.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-30, Wes wrote:

Once upon a time I asked that same question on Practical Machinist. Damn that
moderator/board op hates Chinese stuff with a passion. I never got an answer.

The moderator also forbids mentioning cnczone.

I was banned from there for saying I liked the zone better and using
my business logo for my avatar. i haven't looked back.

Yep, they are a little weird I would say.

My son's 9 year old friend, schoolmate and neighbor was banned from
Wikipedia for life today, also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-30, Wes wrote:
"Pete C." wrote:

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ordered the Enco 81 pc economy gage
block set (Enco 630-4115)? I ordered one recently with the sale and
October 20% discount, and it seems pretty nice, especially for the
price.

It came with an inspection certificate claiming NIST tracability and
listing the size deviation from the reference standard for each block in
millionths by block serial number. Every block I've measured with my
digital micrometer so far has been spot on, which would be expected
since the blocks are supposed to be 10X more accurate.

Hmm ... the set I have of Chinese gauge blocks is supposed to be
within 0.000050 (50 micro-inches), and the digital micrometers which I
have measure to the same resolution.

But -- the cheap set came from an eBay auction, not from ENCO
and it has no calibration certificate -- just a +/- 0.000050 inlayed
into the box. And -- it does not wring particularly well. :-)

I do have a nice Browne & Sharp set with a calibration
certificate -- also from eBay but a bit more money which I use when I
want accuracy, while the Chinese set gets used for things like setting
5" sine bars. I don't need greater accuracy for that normally.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

[...]

I bought the same set 2-3 years ago.

Set SN 030255
0.100" ID No. 4188 -11
0.500" ID No. 4001 -26
1.000" ID No. 4033 -7

Interesting that the SN format has changed. I've
found the set to be quite useful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
[...]

I bought a set like that but in the end went for a 2nd hand British made
set with calibration certificate still in date. It a grade 2 set and the
uncertainty of measurement is given as +/- 0.000 005" upto 2" and +/-
0.000 01, the biggest deviation is the 3" slip at -27, most are much
smaller. The certificate notes the deviations are at the centre of the
blocks. I asked 2 people the day I bought them what I might expect from
Chinese ones and they mentioned issues of flatness and parllelism as
being likely ones even if the dimensions were as specified where measured.

No idea about their certificate authenticity but a company I work for
checked out the CE certificate on some Chinese made tablet PCs recently
and the testing house confirmed they were fake, same with the supplied
power supply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9310 wrote:

My son's 9 year old friend, schoolmate and neighbor was banned from
Wikipedia for life today, also.

Why?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-31, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus9310 wrote:

My son's 9 year old friend, schoolmate and neighbor was banned from
Wikipedia for life today, also.

Why?

For vandalism, he was modifying an article about Lego. He did it a few
times and was banned. I laughed so hard yesterday.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
[...]

CE is a fraud. It's commonly reffered to as 'Can't Enforce'.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:05:49 -0500, Ignoramus29388

On 2010-10-31, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus9310 wrote:

My son's 9 year old friend, schoolmate and neighbor was banned from
Wikipedia for life today, also.

Why?

For vandalism, he was modifying an article about Lego. He did it a few
times and was banned. I laughed so hard yesterday.

Was he posting incorrect information? Is so..and he was committing
actual vandalism..he should be banned.

If he was posting actual provable data...you should start a campaign.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-30, Wes wrote:

Once upon a time I asked that same question on Practical Machinist. Damn
that
moderator/board op hates Chinese stuff with a passion. I never got an
answer.

The moderator also forbids mentioning cnczone.

With good reason, IMHO. The two forums serve different groups.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-31, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus9310 wrote:

My son's 9 year old friend, schoolmate and neighbor was banned from
Wikipedia for life today, also.

Why?

For vandalism, he was modifying an article about Lego. He did it a few
times and was banned. I laughed so hard yesterday.

Was he posting incorrect information? Is so..and he was committing
actual vandalism..he should be banned.

If he was posting actual provable data...you should start a campaign.

No, he really was vandalizing. I just find it funny that a 9 year old
was banned for life from Wikipedia. He can, of course, open another account.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-30, Wes wrote:

Once upon a time I asked that same question on Practical Machinist. Damn
that
moderator/board op hates Chinese stuff with a passion. I never got an
answer.

The moderator also forbids mentioning cnczone.

With good reason, IMHO. The two forums serve different groups.

How is the CNC forum on practical machinist serving a different gruop
than CNCZone?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-31, Gunner Asch ? wrote:
? On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:05:49 -0500, Ignoramus29388
? wrote:
?
??On 2010-10-31, Wes ? wrote:
??? Ignoramus9310 ? wrote:
???
????My son's 9 year old friend, schoolmate and neighbor was banned from
????Wikipedia for life today, also.
???
??? Why?
??
??For vandalism, he was modifying an article about Lego. He did it a few
??times and was banned. I laughed so hard yesterday.
??
??i
?
? Was he posting incorrect information? Is so..and he was committing
? actual vandalism..he should be banned.
?
? If he was posting actual provable data...you should start a campaign.

No, he really was vandalizing. I just find it funny that a 9 year old
was banned for life from Wikipedia. He can, of course, open another account.

If they don't ban you by blocking your IP address.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

No, he really was vandalizing. I just find it funny that a 9 year old
was banned for life from Wikipedia. He can, of course, open another account.

If they don't ban you by blocking your IP address.

I doubt he will have that IP address for the rest of his life.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-30, Wes wrote:

Once upon a time I asked that same question on Practical Machinist. Damn
that
moderator/board op hates Chinese stuff with a passion. I never got an
answer.

The moderator also forbids mentioning cnczone.

With good reason, IMHO. The two forums serve different groups.

How is the CNC forum on practical machinist serving a different gruop
than CNCZone?

=========
IMNSHO it appears the PM cnc forum is more for the money
players while CNCZone is more for the home shop/hobby
players.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
David Billington wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

[...]

I don't think it's that bad, the company I work for has its products
tested to make sure they conform to the appropriate regulations,
normally the industrial regs. As I understand it though the rules
require companies to have there products tested or do self certification
and after that if CE marked products are found to fail then they should
be reported for failure so the enforcement bodies can prevent further
sale. I'll ask the next time I'm in the office when the guy is back, if
he reported the products to the appropriate authority.

What, if any, action do the US authorities take to fake FCC or UL
markings on products. I've seen it mentioned that those are all too
common like fake CE markings. IIRC one person on this newsgroup said
recently that they would prefer CE certified equipment to FCC as the FCC
only dealt with emissions, whereas the CE dealt with emissions and
susceptibility to environmental EMI.

Regarding CE being "Can't Enforce", I liked the meaning of NTSC being
"Not The Same Colour", likely obsolete, or almost, these days with the
change over to digital.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 20:38:13 +0000, the renowned David Billington
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
David Billington wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

[...]

The penalties for self-certification a product which doesn't conform
can be severe, but practically they cannot be applied to offshore
manufacturers. Presumably importers or retailers could be on the hook.

What, if any, action do the US authorities take to fake FCC or UL
markings on products. I've seen it mentioned that those are all too
common like fake CE markings.

Yes, they are, and I've been bitten, but at least they can be checked
out in a central database from the numbers, and I always do that (and
advise clients to do the same). I held up payment on one shipment
because the company had delayed their payment of "protection money" to
UL and had their certification on hold. They paid, and all was good.
Nothing at all wrong with the product, which is top-notch and uses all
good materials and workmanship. More rare, but watch for it, is a
company that has UL approval on a product, but states or implies that
it's valid on another product hwich hasn't been fully tested.

IIRC one person on this newsgroup said
recently that they would prefer CE certified equipment to FCC as the FCC
only dealt with emissions, whereas the CE dealt with emissions and
susceptibility to environmental EMI.

I can buy you a big roll of CE stickers at the market, and you can
stick them on the FCC certified stuff, so you'll have the best of both
worlds.

Regarding CE being "Can't Enforce", I liked the meaning of NTSC being
"Not The Same Colour", likely obsolete, or almost, these days with the
change over to digital.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-31, Gunner Asch ? wrote:

[ ... ]

? If he was posting actual provable data...you should start a campaign.

No, he really was vandalizing. I just find it funny that a 9 year old
was banned for life from Wikipedia. He can, of course, open another account.

If they don't ban you by blocking your IP address.

There is some thing to be said for dynamic IPs that a lot of
ISPs force down your throat. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-31, Richard J Kinch wrote:
writes:

My guess is that they have some automated measuring system that is
used to measure each block and provide correction to the machine that
grinds the blocks to size.

There is no "feedback" correction. Items of this type are typically made
randomly and then graded for size instead of being reworked. Hence the
likelihood that they will be off by near the limit for being off. Kind of
like why 5 percent tolerance resistors are all off by nearly 5 percent,
instead of a bell curve.

And 10% resistors have a hole in the middle where the 5% ones
came from.

And 20% resistors have a larger hole in the middle, which
could be filled by the combination of the 5% and 10% ones.

Actually -- the carbon composition ones tended to not be offered
any better than 5%, so the 5% set probably did not have a 1% hole in the
middle. :-)

For 1% in the early days -- you went for wire-wound resistors --
with the higher values bi-filar wound to minimize inductance. Later,
with the metal film, and the carbon film which were coated, and then a
laser would cut a spiral groove into the ceramic core while monitoring
the resistance, 1% was easy to hit.

Can you even buy carbon composition resistors any more? :-)

Cf methods for making precision ball bearings.

Indeed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-31, John wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

[ ... ]

According to the inspection sheet, none of the blocks are off by more
than +/- 35 mil, most are single digit and a handful list as 0
deviation, all well under the +/- 50 mil spec.

Send one block out to get recalibrated and see if there is a difference.

There should be a little difference -- even with an un-worn one.
They shift a little over time -- just from temperature cycling and such.

Out of curiosity -- how much does recalibration cost per block?
I might want to send my good set out for such if it is not too much of a
killer. I think that it is fifteen or twenty years since it was last
recalbrated.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? wrote:

?? No, he really was vandalizing. I just find it funny that a 9 year old
?? was banned for life from Wikipedia. He can, of course, open another account.
?
?
? If they don't ban you by blocking your IP address.
?

I doubt he will have that IP address for the rest of his life.

No, but it prevents someone from doing it until it changes.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-31, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:
?
? Ignoramus29388 wrote:
??
?? On 2010-10-31, Gunner Asch ? wrote:

[ ... ]

?? ? If he was posting actual provable data...you should start a campaign.
??
?? No, he really was vandalizing. I just find it funny that a 9 year old
?? was banned for life from Wikipedia. He can, of course, open another account.
?
?
? If they don't ban you by blocking your IP address.

There is some thing to be said for dynamic IPs that a lot of
ISPs force down your throat. :-)

Wait till they roll out IP V6 and they won't need dynamic addresses.
There will be enough that they could assign everyone on earth one for
life.

BTW, my dynamic IP address has only changed a couple times in over
five years.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
? David Billington wrote:
?
?? Pete C. wrote:
??
[...]

That stupid "Not The Same Color" phrase has been obsolete since VIR &
VITS was introduced in the '70s. The problem was mostly caused by the
cross country coaxial and microwave TV network feeds. Different shows
arrived by different routes and had different phase delays. VIR put
phase reference signals in the vertical interval to allow for automatic
correction at every amplifier or switch.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell writes:

CE is a fraud.

UL can be likewise. Consider why it is often the cord that has the
"UL listed" label on it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Can you even buy carbon composition resistors any more? :-)

Yes:
http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Resistors/_/N-5g9n?Keyword=carbon+comp&FS=True

Mouser has them mixed with their carbon film types on that page.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell writes:

? CE is a fraud.

UL can be likewise. Consider why it is often the cord that has the
"UL listed" label on it.

Sigh. Isn't it obvious? The old UL label is compent level. They use
a different label for equipment.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-31, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus9310 wrote:

My son's 9 year old friend, schoolmate and neighbor was banned from
Wikipedia for life today, also.

Why?

For vandalism, he was modifying an article about Lego. He did it a few
times and was banned. I laughed so hard yesterday.

Was he posting incorrect information? Is so..and he was committing
actual vandalism..he should be banned.

If he was posting actual provable data...you should start a campaign.

No, he really was vandalizing. I just find it funny that a 9 year old
was banned for life from Wikipedia. He can, of course, open another account.

He should be beaten to within a fraction of an inch of death, and
allowed to heal slowly without medical attention.

Somethings are simply "wrong"...and he found one of those.

Id not be laughing at the little gutter slime..but ****ing on him from a
great height for his actions.

He did a Very Bad Thing (cr) and should be taught that such behavior is
NOT permissible ever again.

If you laugh at/with him...before long he will be spray painting your
car/truck/house as "a joke".

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

? wrote:

?On 2010-10-31, Gunner Asch ? wrote:
?? On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:05:49 -0500, Ignoramus29388
? wrote:
??
???On 2010-10-31, Wes ? wrote:
???? Ignoramus9310 ? wrote:
????
[...]

It's no surprise that Iggy thinks vandalism is funny.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

? wrote:

?On 2010-10-31, Gunner Asch ? wrote:
?? On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:05:49 -0500, Ignoramus29388
? wrote:
??
???On 2010-10-31, Wes ? wrote:
???? Ignoramus9310 ? wrote:
????
[...]

Why is that of no surprise to you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-01, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:
?
? Gunner Asch wrote:
??
?? On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:07:57 -0500, Ignoramus29388
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?On 2010-10-31, Gunner Asch ? wrote:
?? ?? On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:05:49 -0500, Ignoramus29388
?? ? wrote:
?? ??
?? ???On 2010-10-31, Wes ? wrote:
?? ???? Ignoramus9310 ? wrote:
?? ????
?? ?????My son's 9 year old friend, schoolmate and neighbor was banned from
?? ?????Wikipedia for life today, also.
?? ????
?? ???? Why?
?? ???
?? ???For vandalism, he was modifying an article about Lego. He did it a few
?? ???times and was banned. I laughed so hard yesterday.
?? ???
?? ???i
?? ??
?? ?? Was he posting incorrect information? Is so..and he was committing
?? ?? actual vandalism..he should be banned.
?? ??
?? ?? If he was posting actual provable data...you should start a campaign.
?? ?
[...]

From the things you've posted in the past.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-01, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:
?
? Gunner Asch wrote:
??
?? On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:07:57 -0500, Ignoramus29388
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?On 2010-10-31, Gunner Asch ? wrote:
?? ?? On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:05:49 -0500, Ignoramus29388
?? ? wrote:
?? ??
?? ???On 2010-10-31, Wes ? wrote:
?? ???? Ignoramus9310 ? wrote:
?? ????
[...]

From the things you've posted in the past.

Then you may be surprised to find out that I made many controbutions
to Wikipedia, and started two successful articles (Enhanced Machine
Controller and Rotary Phase Converter).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-01, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:
?
? Gunner Asch wrote:
??
?? On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:07:57 -0500, Ignoramus29388
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?On 2010-10-31, Gunner Asch ? wrote:
?? ?? On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:05:49 -0500, Ignoramus29388
?? ? wrote:
?? ??
?? ???On 2010-10-31, Wes ? wrote:
?? ???? Ignoramus9310 ? wrote:
?? ????
[...]

From the things you've posted in the past.

Then you may be surprised to find out that I made many controbutions
to Wikipedia, and started two successful articles (Enhanced Machine
Controller and Rotary Phase Converter).

That has nothing to do with laughing about a kid being a vandal, and
you know it.

enough left over to pay them.