Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gage block set question...

On 2010-10-30, Wes wrote:
"Pete C." wrote:

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ordered the Enco 81 pc economy gage
block set (Enco 630-4115)? I ordered one recently with the sale and
October 20% discount, and it seems pretty nice, especially for the
price.

It came with an inspection certificate claiming NIST tracability and
listing the size deviation from the reference standard for each block in
millionths by block serial number. Every block I've measured with my
digital micrometer so far has been spot on, which would be expected
since the blocks are supposed to be 10X more accurate.

Hmm ... the set I have of Chinese gauge blocks is supposed to be
within 0.000050 (50 micro-inches), and the digital micrometers which I
have measure to the same resolution.

But -- the cheap set came from an eBay auction, not from ENCO
and it has no calibration certificate -- just a +/- 0.000050 inlayed
into the box. And -- it does not wring particularly well. :-)

I do have a nice Browne & Sharp set with a calibration
certificate -- also from eBay but a bit more money which I use when I
want accuracy, while the Chinese set gets used for things like setting
5" sine bars. I don't need greater accuracy for that normally.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564