Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default odd motor odor

On 10/14/2010 12:34 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
Well, I started up the new fan motor on the apple cooler and got an
odd odor from it. As I'm storing big $ (for me) of fresh fruit, I shut
it down after an hour. let the room clear and ran all night on just
the second cooler. tried again this morning and odor returned. So
we've limped all day on one cooler. One cooler will hold temp as long
as we don't remove, wash, and bring warm fruit back in. Something
I've GOT to do shortly.

I'd think after two hours it would clear, but no joy. Anybody heard of
this?

Karl

You say it's a new motor. Is it running hotter than you would expect? Is
it hooked up to a reasonable size circuit breaker? If it is not running
hot and it is on a reasonable size breaker, I would run it all day and
keep checking on it. As long as it stays at an acceptable temperature, I
would keep running it. I would probably not leave it running unattended
overnight until it has run a few days.

BobH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Well, I started up the new fan motor on the apple cooler and got an
odd odor from it. As I'm storing big $ (for me) of fresh fruit, I shut
it down after an hour. let the room clear and ran all night on just
the second cooler. tried again this morning and odor returned. So
we've limped all day on one cooler. One cooler will hold temp as long
as we don't remove, wash, and bring warm fruit back in. Something
I've GOT to do shortly.

I'd think after two hours it would clear, but no joy. Anybody heard of
this?

Karl

I had a crosscut saw that has a motor specific to the saw. It would burn-up
every few years and I would have it rebuilt. One time it burned up it
smelled strange...indescribable, different than usual motor farts. I asked
the winder and he said he used a new supplier and the winding insulation was
supposed to be better. It did last longer than the time before that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:14:31 +0000, BobH
wrote:

[...]

Its not running hot as its one inch from a five horse R502 evaporator
coil and the fan it runs pulls the air around the motor. I've not a
clue, but I'm worried about the fruit picking up something from the
odor. if it was just an ordinary fan, I wouldn't care.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is that a brushed motor?

Is it hot to touch?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Well, I started up the new fan motor on the apple cooler and got an
odd odor from it. As I'm storing big $ (for me) of fresh fruit, I shut
it down after an hour. let the room clear and ran all night on just
the second cooler. tried again this morning and odor returned. So
we've limped all day on one cooler. One cooler will hold temp as long
as we don't remove, wash, and bring warm fruit back in. Something
I've GOT to do shortly.

I'd think after two hours it would clear, but no joy. Anybody heard of
this?

Karl

I would try pulling the motor and it's fan and running them on the bench
in the shop where you can better monitor the temp and current and see if
the motor varnish just needs some time to bake while not risking making
lovely phenolic scented fruit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Finding a ~1150 RPM fan motor isn't a difficult task, they're relatively
abundant. I was recently looking for a 1/2 HP 650 RPM motor for a
whole-house ventilation fan (blade dia ~34"), and I was finding many more of
the 1000-1200 RPM motors.

Surplus suppliers generally have a wide range of new motors, and there are a
lot of surplus dealers.

But these guys that come to the group posting their almost-daily problems
always have a better idea, so it turns out that their problems are more
difficult for them to resolve.

If someone at a motor shop told him that a ~1150 RPM motor was uncommon, he
must have given them a reason to want him out of their shop.

It's a fan motor, ferfuxsake.

--
WB

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...

FWIW, the Emerson I mentioned can be had for around a hundred bucks and
is intended as a replacement for the blower motors in home heating
systems, so it shouldn't produce any smell.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 13, 5:34*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
Well, I started up the new fan motor on the apple cooler and got an
odd odor from it. As I'm storing big $ (for me) of fresh fruit, I shut
it down after an hour. let the room clear and ran all night on just
the second cooler. tried again this morning and odor returned. So
we've limped all day on one cooler. *One cooler will hold temp as long
as we don't remove, wash, and bring warm fruit back in. *Something
I've GOT to do shortly.

I'd think after two hours it would clear, but no joy. Anybody heard of
this?

Karl

Can you post the odor so we all can partake?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:34:12 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

Well, I started up the new fan motor on the apple cooler and got an odd
odor from it.

Can you be any more specific about this "odd" odor? There could be
billions of things. Does it smell like burning insulation? Volatile
solvents? Paint? Mothballs? Skunk?

We need a little more to go by here.

Thansk,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:53:16 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Finding a ~1150 RPM fan motor isn't a difficult task, they're relatively
abundant. I was recently looking for a 1/2 HP 650 RPM motor for a
whole-house ventilation fan (blade dia ~34"), and I was finding many more of
the 1000-1200 RPM motors.

Surplus suppliers generally have a wide range of new motors, and there are a
lot of surplus dealers.

But these guys that come to the group posting their almost-daily problems
always have a better idea, so it turns out that their problems are more
difficult for them to resolve.

If someone at a motor shop told him that a ~1150 RPM motor was uncommon, he
must have given them a reason to want him out of their shop.

It's a fan motor, ferfuxsake.

I'm sorry you find me so annoying. i have had quite a number of issues
before the group lately. it tends to run in spurts. maybe i should
post more political crap so i fit in.

FWIW, the combination of extra large frame, 1/2" shaft, and 1150 RPM
was the problem. remove frame size and they are easy to find - that's
what i did. But it looks like i also need the totally enclosed, I'm
going to end up buying another motor. Didn't know about that gotcha.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:27:59 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:34:12 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

Well, I started up the new fan motor on the apple cooler and got an odd
odor from it.

Can you be any more specific about this "odd" odor? There could be
billions of things. Does it smell like burning insulation? Volatile
solvents? Paint? Mothballs? Skunk?

We need a little more to go by here.

Thansk,
Rich

Sorry, don't know how to describe. My guess is whatever they used to
dip the rotor for insulating in is outgasing. if the room weren't
sealed, i doubt it would be noticed.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Karl, I'd much rather hear about your fan motor woes than the latest
extreme rant about people who must be idiots because they're not on the
same extreme as the ranter.

Maybe you should post a picture of your motor adapter to the drop box,
for some real metalworking content.

And good luck -- I can certainly understand not wanting to taint your
fruit with a funny motor-derived taste or scent. Product boo-boos that
take your customers time to find out and that make them look bad to
_their_ customers are the ones that they tend to remember for years,
even if you only do it once.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-14, Wild_Bill wrote:
Finding a ~1150 RPM fan motor isn't a difficult task, they're relatively
abundant. I was recently looking for a 1/2 HP 650 RPM motor for a
whole-house ventilation fan (blade dia ~34"), and I was finding many more of
the 1000-1200 RPM motors.

Surplus suppliers generally have a wide range of new motors, and there are a
lot of surplus dealers.

But these guys that come to the group posting their almost-daily problems
always have a better idea, so it turns out that their problems are more
difficult for them to resolve.

Feeling slightly ****y today?

Uncomfortable that people ask metal related questions here?

If someone at a motor shop told him that a ~1150 RPM motor was uncommon, he
must have given them a reason to want him out of their shop.

It's a fan motor, ferfuxsake.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:34:12 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

Well, I started up the new fan motor on the apple cooler and got an odd
odor from it.

Can you be any more specific about this "odd" odor? There could be
billions of things. Does it smell like burning insulation? Volatile
solvents? Paint? Mothballs? Skunk?

We need a little more to go by here.

Thansk,
Rich

Sorry, don't know how to describe. My guess is whatever they used to
dip the rotor for insulating in is outgasing. if the room weren't
sealed, i doubt it would be noticed.

My poodle outgasses when he's been eating cat ****, but that's an oder
that's (quite unfortunately) easy to identify.

I hope you get your problem solved.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl, I'd much rather hear about your fan motor woes than the latest
extreme rant about people who must be idiots because they're not on the
same extreme as the ranter.

Glad to know I've got one freind left.

Maybe you should post a picture of your motor adapter to the drop box,
for some real metalworking content.

Not on your life. This little job was a cluster F%#&.

I grabbed a piece of mystery metal and couldn't get it to weld right.
The result looked like a very sick chicken had just dropped by.

Then I couldn't get the slots milled, went through three endmills. At
least now the welding problem made sense. Tool steel don't weld well
and don't machine at all after your try to weld.

Then I found a measuring error and had to widen the slots.

Then I found the special 220 plug and wire was too short cause the
motor connections were on the other side, so I spliced in an extra
piece of wire.

Then I found the new base hit the special plug in for the above and I
had to hacksaw an indent. I would have milled it but the base already
looked like a failed abortion.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/14/2010 03:09 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl, I'd much rather hear about your fan motor woes than the latest
extreme rant about people who must be idiots because they're not on the
same extreme as the ranter.

Glad to know I've got one freind left.

Maybe you should post a picture of your motor adapter to the drop box,
for some real metalworking content.

Not on your life. This little job was a cluster F%#&.

Aw c'mon. All the ineffective perfectionists in the world need to see
something that looks as ugly as can be yet still gets the job done.

It sounds like some of the jobs that I've done. It appears that my
brain is split about evenly between a British engineer and a Soviet one:

B.E.: "It's not perfect. Don't ship"

S.E.: "Perfection is the enemy of good enough. Besides, we're behind
schedule as it is. Hand me that address label"

B.E.: "No! Death before dishonor! This is an ugly piece of @#$% and it
shouldn't be allowed to live!"

S.E.: "If it works, it's beautiful. Look! I have the customer's
address scrawled on this shopping bag with the dog barf on one corner.
I'll just tape it on, and away we go"

UPS Man: "Okey dokey"

B.E.: "Aaaagggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!"

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

With all the equipment that you write about month after month/year etc, you
should have no less than a dozen spare motors in good operating condition,
for spares.

Voltage, shaft size.. so what? You can't find more than one voltage in any
of your structures? Would you need advice on wire gage and type of
insulation before you could put a different motor on the machine?

Disassemble a motor to turn down the shaft, or turn a bushing to fit.
Complicated issues, all of 'em.

There isn't another fan on your property?

Get some catalogs, buy some spare parts, then a simple motor change won't be
a major problem just when you're about to face a (nother).. CRISIS.

So why all the needless drama?

You know when the equipment is going to be needed, you've been doing this
for years.
You sound like the ones that have freezing problems, like they aren't aware
what month it is.

When some kind soul gives you a solution to one of your many problems, you
can't ship them a little box of apples, because you just don't do that. Big
joke, right?

That's just what I was thinking.

--
WB

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

It's a fan motor, ferfuxsake.

I'm sorry you find me so annoying. i have had quite a number of issues
before the group lately. it tends to run in spurts. maybe i should
post more political crap so i fit in.

FWIW, the combination of extra large frame, 1/2" shaft, and 1150 RPM
was the problem. remove frame size and they are easy to find - that's
what i did. But it looks like i also need the totally enclosed, I'm
going to end up buying another motor. Didn't know about that gotcha.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The expert on metal related questions chimes in.

Feed your family out of a bought-used refrigerator. You would just hate to
have to throw away a used appliance? Have them eat from used plates and
utensils, too?
Mount speakers on a mill.
Undecided about what color to paint a vise or anything else?
What's a heater?

--
WB

"Ignoramus15574" wrote in message

Feeling slightly ****y today?

Uncomfortable that people ask metal related questions here?

If someone at a motor shop told him that a ~1150 RPM motor was uncommon,
he
must have given them a reason to want him out of their shop.

It's a fan motor, ferfuxsake.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Sounds like it doesn't even rate "not bad for a farmer"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-14, Wild_Bill wrote:
The expert on metal related questions chimes in.

Feed your family out of a bought-used refrigerator. You would just hate to
have to throw away a used appliance? Have them eat from used plates and
utensils, too?
Mount speakers on a mill.
Undecided about what color to paint a vise or anything else?
What's a heater?

It is harder to **** me off, than you apparently think. In fact, I
doubt that you can **** me off, no matter what you try.

I am not particularly embarrassed to admit that I retrofitted a
Bridgeport CNC mill, or even that I mounted speakers on it, or even
that I bought a used fridge at some point.

Now, you, seem to have "issues" about somebody asking where to get an
oddball motor, foaming at the mouth and acting very upset when someone
uses this newsgroup for its intended purpose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stop stop your killing me.

How is it that they portray english??? Something about context.

One russian asked me how I could work for such a suborn man (an EE).

I think that was the most concise sentence he ever said.

BTW those are the best type of jobs, right on the edge.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
The expert on metal related questions chimes in.

Feed your family out of a bought-used refrigerator. You would just hate
to have to throw away a used appliance? Have them eat from used plates
and utensils, too? ...

????

What's wrong with used appliances, refrigerators specifically? Do you
think that they are somehow contaminated beyond cleaning? Contaminated
with what?

Throwing away an appliance because it's used is silly. And brown.

And "used" plates, utensils? I don't get it. Have you ever eaten in a
restaurant? Did you think that the plates were new?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-15, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Wild_Bill wrote:
The expert on metal related questions chimes in.

Feed your family out of a bought-used refrigerator. You would just hate
to have to throw away a used appliance? Have them eat from used plates
and utensils, too? ...

????

What's wrong with used appliances, refrigerators specifically? Do you
think that they are somehow contaminated beyond cleaning? Contaminated
with what?

Throwing away an appliance because it's used is silly. And brown.

And "used" plates, utensils? I don't get it. Have you ever eaten in a
restaurant? Did you think that the plates were new?

I think that "Wild Bill" only uses disposable paper plates. Everything
else, becomes "used" after the first use.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Well, I started up the new fan motor on the apple cooler and got an
odd odor from it. As I'm storing big $ (for me) of fresh fruit, I shut
it down after an hour. let the room clear and ran all night on just
the second cooler. tried again this morning and odor returned. So
we've limped all day on one cooler. One cooler will hold temp as long
as we don't remove, wash, and bring warm fruit back in. Something
I've GOT to do shortly.

I'd think after two hours it would clear, but no joy. Anybody heard of
this?

Karl

I haven't read the other replies yet but if it isn't a tefc motor, maybe hot dead mouse
carcase.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Sorry, don't know how to describe. My guess is whatever they used to
dip the rotor for insulating in is outgasing. if the room weren't
sealed, i doubt it would be noticed.

Okay, then jerk that mother out of your cooler room and burn it in outside where it isn't
going to taint your apples or whatever it is you grow. Problem solved

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

My poodle outgasses when he's been eating cat ****, but that'

Why do dogs like to eat cat scat? I seldom had to clean my cats litter box while Thor was
around.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

His motor problem would make perfect sense to you.. I already knew that, and
I mentioned a couple of examples.

I'd be embarrassed to portray a failed FAN motor as a problem. WTF does it
take to move air?

There are a relatively low number of RCMers that ask these mindless
questions, and they ask them repeatedly.. you, Karl, Tom etc.

I think it's funny, dumbass, like reading a comic strip.

You've been living in northern Illinois for how long? Got the climate
figured out yet?
Find a low-powered heater for outdoor use yet?
How do they heat storage sheds in Russia?

--
WB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Like I mentioned earlier, complicated issues everywhere ya look.

A broken, bought-used frige that failed twice within a couple of weeks.
Apparently his family doesn't rate a new frige, you know.. one that wasn't
bought from total strangers.

But they had a clean house, and she's a school teacher.. Doesn't mean the
husband didn't **** in the frige during a drunken blackout, though.

Stores are full of new cookware and dinnerware.. why would I eat off of
something from a garage sale?

Some people might eat from a carefully-washed bedpan.

For the most part, I'm fairly confident that most restaurant cook/dinnerware
wasn't catching a drip under a sink trap, or holding food for a sick cat,
or.. but ya never know. So, I don't eat at restaruants often.

--
WB

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote:
The expert on metal related questions chimes in.

Feed your family out of a bought-used refrigerator. You would just hate
to have to throw away a used appliance? Have them eat from used plates
and utensils, too? ...

????

What's wrong with used appliances, refrigerators specifically? Do you
think that they are somehow contaminated beyond cleaning? Contaminated
with what?

Throwing away an appliance because it's used is silly. And brown.

And "used" plates, utensils? I don't get it. Have you ever eaten in a
restaurant? Did you think that the plates were new?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 07:04:55 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Oh, no.. that solution would require thinking. There isn't any power
outside, anyway.

OK, Bill. I just killfiled you so I won't see you again. goodbye.

Suggest you do the same for me and we won't annoy each other.

Good day

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 22:49:21 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

My poodle outgasses when he's been eating cat ****, but that'

Why do dogs like to eat cat scat? I seldom had to clean my cats litter box while Thor was
around.

Wes

Because cats eat nearly a 100% meat or meat byproduct food..and their
skat is rich in meat byproducts and is not fully digested.

Dogs while meat eaters...are generally fed food that is far less rich in
meat ...lots of vegies in dog food, which is good..its good for
them..but they love the extra "byproducts" in cat ****.

Which doesnt hurt them a bit (except for a bit too much kitty litter in
their guts) and helps keep the cat box changing times a bit more..open.

While it grosses me out..having one of my dogs come up and give me a
nice big kiss..and then having my eyes water after realizing by the
smell..he has just be having an early afternoon brunch from the cat
box..can be a bit....ah...trying....

GUnner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Removing odor Herb Robinson Woodworking 26 February 26th 10 08:49 AM
Getting rid of odor from a fire Donald Mac Donald Home Repair 5 June 13th 07 03:28 AM
Room Odor Art Home Repair 4 January 8th 07 12:25 AM
Water with NO odor has an odor AFTER osmosis filtering... [email protected] Home Repair 4 October 19th 06 01:19 AM
Odor Wars Bruce Hilsen Home Repair 2 June 4th 05 04:21 PM