Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default odd motor odor

On 10/14/2010 12:32 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:53:16 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Finding a ~1150 RPM fan motor isn't a difficult task, they're relatively
abundant. I was recently looking for a 1/2 HP 650 RPM motor for a
whole-house ventilation fan (blade dia ~34"), and I was finding many more of
the 1000-1200 RPM motors.

Surplus suppliers generally have a wide range of new motors, and there are a
lot of surplus dealers.

But these guys that come to the group posting their almost-daily problems
always have a better idea, so it turns out that their problems are more
difficult for them to resolve.

If someone at a motor shop told him that a ~1150 RPM motor was uncommon, he
must have given them a reason to want him out of their shop.

It's a fan motor, ferfuxsake.

I'm sorry you find me so annoying. i have had quite a number of issues
before the group lately. it tends to run in spurts. maybe i should
post more political crap so i fit in.

FWIW, the combination of extra large frame, 1/2" shaft, and 1150 RPM
was the problem. remove frame size and they are easy to find - that's
what i did. But it looks like i also need the totally enclosed, I'm
going to end up buying another motor. Didn't know about that gotcha.

Karl, I'd much rather hear about your fan motor woes than the latest
extreme rant about people who must be idiots because they're not on the
same extreme as the ranter.

Maybe you should post a picture of your motor adapter to the drop box,
for some real metalworking content.

And good luck -- I can certainly understand not wanting to taint your
fruit with a funny motor-derived taste or scent. Product boo-boos that
take your customers time to find out and that make them look bad to
_their_ customers are the ones that they tend to remember for years,
even if you only do it once.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services