Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Removing odor

I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the interior
(red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the odor makes it
unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two months, applied a
coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped. The only thing I can
think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any and all ideas will be
appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:24:02 -0700, "Herb Robinson"
wrote:

I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the interior
(red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the odor makes it
unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two months, applied a
coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped. The only thing I can
think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any and all ideas will be
appreciated.

Watco will cure over time. You can try adding a small amount of heat
to the pantry, such a 100-watt light bulb, to speed the cure. Oil
finishes have a slow drying rate. Shellac or polyurethane might have
been a better choice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Herb Robinson" wrote in message
I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the interior
(red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the odor makes it
unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two months, applied a
coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped. The only thing I
can think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any and all ideas will
be appreciated.

I have applied gallons of watco finishes over the years. The stuff takes
forever to dry. And it stinks. I always leave it outside or in the garage
for a week or two before bringing it in the house. In any kind of
application where smell may be a factor, wipe it on and wipe it off
immediately.

Also, plywood sucks the watco right up. I built some shelves for the kitchen
out of pine and used watco on them. But they stayed outside for six weeks
before I brought them into the house. And they still smelled a little. But
time will eventually take care of it. Heat helps. It takes forever to cure
if cold or wet outside.

My wife has the super nose in the family. (She says I need a bath) What I
do is put the project on the back porch. And when she says it is OK to bring
it in the house, I do. I don't dare bring it in the house before it passes
her sniff test. I learned that lesson a long time ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Herb Robinson wrote:
I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the
interior (red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the
odor makes it unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two
months, applied a coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not
helped. The only thing I can think of now is to apply a coat of
paste wax. Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

Shellac has well known barrier-coat properties. Give it a try.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Herb Robinson" wrote in message
I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the interior
(red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the odor makes it
unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two months, applied a
coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped. The only thing I
can think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any and all ideas will
be appreciated.

I use shellac on interiors like that. Very little odor that dissipates
quickly. You can try a coat or two now. If you can remove the doors and
set them in the sun for a couple of days that may help too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Herb Robinson" wrote in message
I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the interior
(red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the odor makes it
unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two months, applied a
coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped. The only thing I
can think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any and all ideas will
be appreciated.

I use Natural Magic Odor Absorbing Gel. I have been using this product for
several years, 5+. Just open the container and set it near the area that
you want to smell better. A little air flow helps and 1 container lasts
about 3 months. Get it at Lowe's and Home Depot, Office Depot. Many
scents.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leave door open and run a fan for a few days. Can be on lowest
setting, just need circulation to help drying\off gassing. Then close
door and leave a full bags worth of charcoal briquets on news paper or
a tray whatever. The stuff is amazing it's electrostatic properties
suck up any smell. I've fixed more than one really bad smelling
vehicle this way (don't ask). Don't cook with them after.

On Feb 8, 3:24*pm, "Herb Robinson" wrote:
I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the interior
(red oak plywood) was clear Watco. *It looked great, but the odor makes it
unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. *After two months, applied a
coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped. *The only thing I can
think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. *Any and all ideas will be
appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:24:02 -0700, the infamous "Herb Robinson"
scrawled the following:

I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the interior
(red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the odor makes it
unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two months, applied a
coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped. The only thing I can
think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any and all ideas will be
appreciated.

Don't wax it. Try a few more coats of that plastic.

The only finishes for interiors are shellac and lacquer, and lacquer
has the least amount of smell. That's why most woodworking is left
unfinished inside.

Watco is like skunk. You may be able to get rid of most of the smell,
but it'll always be there to remind you.

Try sandblasting. (only half kidding) g

--
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are
needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And
Posted to rec.woodworking

Herb Robinson wrote:
I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the interior
(red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the odor makes it
unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two months, applied a
coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped. The only thing I can
think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any and all ideas will be
appreciated.

I know it's the wrong season, but I like to put my projects outside in
the summer heat to ventilate and cure the finishes more quickly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"scritch" wrote in message
Herb Robinson wrote:
I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the
interior (red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the
odor makes it unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two
months, applied a coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped.
The only thing I can think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any
and all ideas will be appreciated.

I know it's the wrong season, but I like to put my projects outside in the
summer heat to ventilate and cure the finishes more quickly.

So if it was summer would you tear out the pantry to let it cure outside?
;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news

"scritch" wrote in message
Herb Robinson wrote:
I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the
interior (red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the
odor makes it unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two
months, applied a coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped.
The only thing I can think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any
and all ideas will be appreciated.

I know it's the wrong season, but I like to put my projects outside in
the summer heat to ventilate and cure the finishes more quickly.

So if it was summer would you tear out the pantry to let it cure outside?
;~)

Just slide back the retractable roof.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:35:31 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

I've used the lava rock odor-eaters from Lee Valley to remove the smell
of gasoline from inside our van.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10175&cat=2,42194,40727

Volcanic rock made in Canadia by Canadans? Whoa! I'd never have
thought that possible. (I'll leave it to you to figure out to which
aspect of that I was referring.

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 09:41:40 -0800, the infamous "CW"
scrawled the following:

"Leon" wrote in message
news

"scritch" wrote in message
Herb Robinson wrote:
I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the
interior (red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the
odor makes it unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two
months, applied a coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped.
The only thing I can think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any
and all ideas will be appreciated.
I know it's the wrong season, but I like to put my projects outside in
the summer heat to ventilate and cure the finishes more quickly.

So if it was summer would you tear out the pantry to let it cure outside?
;~)

Just slide back the retractable roof.

Now there's a house selling point: Pantry with retractable Moon roof!

I was watching an old episode of something on the Fine Living Channel
once a lifetime ago. It showed a guy who had created a retractable
room. It made 3 walls and the roof of his bedroom roll out of the way
so the bedroom floor was exposed. He liked sleeping under the stars.
The thing was on tracks and took about 3 minutes to move out. Weird
but cool.

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in
message
news:150220101243180278%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Larry
Jaques
wrote:

Volcanic rock made in Canadia by Canadans? Whoa! I'd never have
thought that possible. (I'll leave it to you to figure out to
which
aspect of that I was referring.

Something to consider is renting or buying an ozone generator.
I've used one for years to remove odor from the house when
returning from a trip, after painting or even to control (at least
I think it does) mold and mildew. The O3 dissipates rapidly and
the odor is gone. http://crystalair1.com/products/air-ozone.htm

The guy who owns this company is really a straight shooter. I had
a mica plate develop a hole a few years back and rather than
selling me the whole set, he just sent me a free replacement.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:43:18 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

Volcanic rock made in Canadia by Canadans? Whoa! I'd never have
thought that possible. (I'll leave it to you to figure out to which
aspect of that I was referring.

I figure it's the "thought" part...

Yew wood.

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Herb Robinson" wrote in message
I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the interior
(red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the odor makes it
unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two months, applied a
coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped. The only thing I
can think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any and all ideas will
be appreciated.

I'm just browsing, but can appreciate your problem. I have not seen any
mention of ventilation yet. A small fan running continuously should help
disburse the odor better. As to the fumes (odors), try placing some burning
candles in the area to burn them off. It seemed to help a lot for my last
project. (Pie pans, etc make excellent safety trays for the candles.)

Also, I seem to recall on a can of Formby's that if it did not dry properly
to leave a florescent light on. Not the same thing, but it might mimic
actual sunlight???

Good luck,
Thermo

Posted to rec.woodworking

"thermo102" wrote in message

"Herb Robinson" wrote in message

I'm just browsing, but can appreciate your problem. I have not seen any
mention of ventilation yet. A small fan running continuously should help
disburse the odor better.

To the rest of the house maybe...

As to the fumes (odors), try placing some burning
candles in the area to burn them off. It seemed to help a lot for my last
project. (Pie pans, etc make excellent safety trays for the candles.)

Concerning a safety tray,,,, think a little further. Most fumes like this
are "highly" flamable. A lit candle might cause an explosion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"thermo102" wrote in message

"Herb Robinson" wrote in message

I'm just browsing, but can appreciate your problem. I have not seen any
mention of ventilation yet. A small fan running continuously should help
disburse the odor better.

To the rest of the house maybe...

As to the fumes (odors), try placing some burning
candles in the area to burn them off. It seemed to help a lot for my
last project. (Pie pans, etc make excellent safety trays for the
candles.)

Concerning a safety tray,,,, think a little further. Most fumes like this
are "highly" flamable. A lit candle might cause an explosion.

Maybe... if you let the concentration build up to a high enough level, and
the moon is at the right phase and Jupiter aligns with mars, or if... well,
I was going to throw one in about you and Swing and Houston, but I'll just
end here...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2010 11:00 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message

"Herb wrote in message

I'm just browsing, but can appreciate your problem. I have not seen any
mention of ventilation yet. A small fan running continuously should help
disburse the odor better.

To the rest of the house maybe...

As to the fumes (odors), try placing some burning
candles in the area to burn them off. It seemed to help a lot for my
last project. (Pie pans, etc make excellent safety trays for the
candles.)

Concerning a safety tray,,,, think a little further. Most fumes like this
are "highly" flamable. A lit candle might cause an explosion.

Maybe... if you let the concentration build up to a high enough level, and
the moon is at the right phase and Jupiter aligns with mars, or if... well,
I was going to throw one in about you and Swing and Houston, but I'll just
end here...

The candle should be grounded.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

wrote in message

"Herb wrote in message

[...]

And ESD protocols followed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LDosser" wrote in
:

wrote in message

wrote in message

"Herb wrote in message

[...]

Don't smoke around the candle either; it could ignite.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
"LDosser" wrote in
:

wrote in message

wrote in message

"Herb wrote in message

[...]

'Specially a Volatile Candle!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2010 12:49 AM, LDosser wrote:
"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message

Don't smoke around the candle either; it could ignite.

'Specially a Volatile Candle!

/And/ you probably shouldn't be smoking anything volatile...

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/KL/

(Not for the overly sensitive or children. No links please - it's a
volatile page.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
On 2/26/2010 12:49 AM, LDosser wrote:
"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message

Don't smoke around the candle either; it could ignite.

'Specially a Volatile Candle!

/And/ you probably shouldn't be smoking anything volatile...

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/KL/

LOL!

Removing Stale Gas Odor from Hands [email protected] Home Repair 10 April 20th 07 07:30 AM
Removing musty odor BZ Home Repair 4 January 28th 07 06:15 PM
(OT) - Removing Gasoline Odor? CWLee Home Repair 8 May 31st 05 12:23 PM
Removing cat odor from carpeting Harry Everhart Home Repair 4 April 15th 05 03:59 AM