Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Removing odor

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:35:31 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:24:02 -0700, the infamous "Herb Robinson"
scrawled the following:

I've built a pantry for my wife and the only finish I used on the interior
(red oak plywood) was clear Watco. It looked great, but the odor makes it
unusable -- packaged goods absorb the smell. After two months, applied a
coat of wipe on polyurethane, but that has not helped. The only thing I can
think of now is to apply a coat of paste wax. Any and all ideas will be
appreciated.

Don't wax it. Try a few more coats of that plastic.

The only finishes for interiors are shellac and lacquer, and lacquer
has the least amount of smell. That's why most woodworking is left
unfinished inside.

Watco is like skunk. You may be able to get rid of most of the smell,
but it'll always be there to remind you.

Try sandblasting. (only half kidding) g

I've used the lava rock odor-eaters from Lee Valley to remove the smell
of gasoline from inside our van.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10175&cat=2,42194,40727

Volcanic rock made in Canadia by Canadans? Whoa! I'd never have
thought that possible. (I'll leave it to you to figure out to which
aspect of that I was referring.

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan