Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Jack of all trades" business card?

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 21:51:59 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Oct 8, 4:31*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 05:27:17 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."

wrote:
Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a
tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?
Your thoughts appreciated.

Only to some people. *Others look down upon service people like us.
I'm a handyman and that's another word which gets scowls sometimes.

My truck signs say "Home and Garden Handyman; Hardscapes, Repairs,
Maintenance", but the last line says "Wishes Fulfilled!", and that
gets most of the comment by passers-by.

My recommendation is to find some more concise words to describe
yourself. * i.e: Independent Engineering Fabrications, Inc.
Whatever you're doing, describe it floridly.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * --Jack London

Wishes fulfilled! You should have a genie picture on your business
card. g

Heh, heh heh. If I were doing larger jobs and charging contractor
rates, I might.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 00:25:21 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Denis G. writes:

Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a
tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?

Yes. Call yourself a "bricoleur".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricolage

Bbbut, he don't -lay- bricks, Ricky.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

Denis G. writes:

Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a
tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?

Yes. Call yourself a "bricoleur".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricolage

The friend who rescued maidens & slew dragons (see earlier post), later on
became a sort of general purpose assistant & troubleshooter to the CEO of a
software company. He dealt with problems of any sort, from accounting to
logistics to vendor issues, etc. His business card said "Myrmidon"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myrmidon

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 9, 9:18*am, Doug White wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote :

Denis G. writes:

Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a
tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?

Yes. Call yourself a "bricoleur".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricolage

The friend who rescued maidens & slew dragons (see earlier post), later on
became a sort of general purpose assistant & troubleshooter to the CEO of a
software company. *He dealt with problems of any sort, from accounting to
logistics to vendor issues, etc. *His business card said "Myrmidon"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myrmidon

Doug White

Doug, that's an interesting word that I'll have to investigate more.
From the link I don't see how it relates to someone who would "wear
many hats", but I'll look into it. Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 8, 4:19*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Denis G." fired this volley in news:474bd85c-
:

Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a
tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?
Your thoughts appreciated.

Call yourself a "Universal Repair Service", but then narrow it down for a
reality check.

You're probably NOT a jack of +all+ trades, but you do a number of them
well. *List them. *Hit the majors, then give a category like "Competent in
all minor mechanical and electrical repairs", or some such.

LLoyd

Ok thanks Lloyd. More to think about.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 8, 7:11*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Denis G." wrote in message

Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a
tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?
Your thoughts appreciated.

You only put half the quote:

Jack of all trades, master of none.

When I hear about a guy who can do anything, I am immediately suspicious,
because if he was so talented, he'd be busy and not looking for work. *No
one, and this is MHO only is good at everything. *They may be experienced,
did some work in that area, or was just watching when someone else did it..

I would think better of someone who said, GENERAL REPAIRS. *Or better yet,
just put down what you really ARE good at, and stick with what you know.
It's harder to get into trouble that way.

Steve

I grew up in the era of "Dennis the Menace". It's hard for me to stay
out of trouble, but I get your point.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 9, 8:24*am, Ecnerwal
wrote:
In article
,
*"Denis G." wrote:

I'm casting about looking for a job. *I've been an R&D tech and
engineer skewed to the material sciences, but I've never had a
business card of my own because I've never felt that what I was doing
was building a career. *I've had lots of ups and downs (probably like
everyone else here), but I was just looking for ideas for a business
card when I network and meet people. *I've read some good suggestions
here, but I'll have to chew on the ideas a bit and see if something
really makes sense to me.

My "not entirely a joke" moonlighting tagline is:
Electronics, Databases, Woodworking, Earthmoving
I have done (and will do) the first two for money. I keep playing with
the third one but have been leery of turning a hobby I like into a job I
might not, and the last I only do for me (backhoe, yes - giant truck to
haul giant trailer to haul backhoe, and license to drive said giant
truck, and desire to get mired in other people's noisome underground
messes, no. I'm also a good pick and shovel man, but nobody's going to
pay my rates for pick and shovel work, most likely - though it has
certainly come in handy on parts of my own jobs where the backhoe is not
the right tool for the job.)

As for moonlighting more directly in what I spend all day doing - not
interested, already tired of it. If I was more seriously trying to work
the first two I might remove the last two, but I'm not, and there is a
deliberate intent to point out broadness of scope. So far nobody's
called wanting an earthmoving job - they look for the folks who
advertise that in the paper and yellow pages.

...but, that's moonlighting. I can afford to miss a bunch, because it is
not my day job.

The woodworking "not quite a business" is itself also not confined to
woodworking, and I've borrowed a moniker from one of my 1860's lathes
that describes it better: "Maker"

A friend of mine who was an engineer once told me that when times are
good and there's lots of demand for workers, it's good to specialize.
When jobs are scarce and times are bad, you generalize and take on
many roles. He has his own company now teaching people how to kayak
and leading tours. He's now his own employer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 05:53:00 -0700, Denis G. wrote:
On Oct 9, 12:25*am, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Denis G. writes:
Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a
tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?

Yes. Call yourself a "bricoleur".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricolage

I never heard that one. Thanks. I'm going to research it some more.

Whenever people ask me, "And what do you do?" I say, "Oh, pretty much
anything I can get away with. ;-)"

Once, I got invited to a party where everyone was from some other country
or another. I was milling around the back yard, some guy says "Hi," I say
"Hi," and he asks, "And what are you doing?"

I refrained from saying, "Standing here in the back yard talking to some
guy whose first language clearly isn't idiomatic English!"

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 17:11:46 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

You only put half the quote:

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Jack of all trades...master of some.

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Denis G." wrote in
:

On Oct 9, 9:18*am, Doug White wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote
innews:Xns9E0CE7784458someconun

:

Denis G. writes:

Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a
tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?

Yes. Call yourself a "bricoleur".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricolage

The friend who rescued maidens & slew dragons (see earlier post),
later o

became a sort of general purpose assistant & troubleshooter to the
CEO of

software company. *He dealt with problems of any sort, from
accounting

logistics to vendor issues, etc. *His business card said "Myrmidon"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myrmidon

Doug White

Doug, that's an interesting word that I'll have to investigate more.
From the link I don't see how it relates to someone who would "wear
many hats", but I'll look into it. Thanks.

It was much more appropriate for his position of universal underling.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Denis G. wrote:
On Oct 9, 6:53 am, "Snag" wrote:
Denis G. wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:57 pm, "Snag" wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
In home repair, a guy who can come in the door, fix a leaking hose
to a wash machine, tighten a door hinge or two, repair an outlet,
and clean the gutters on his way out is called a "Handyman".

If you're addressing a market that doesn't seem to have built-in
monikers, consider using adjectives related to "versatile",
"cross-discipline", etc.

--

Tim Wescott

And that's why my business is a "Handyman and Repair" business and
my motto is "I can fix almost anything !" .
And the business is starting to grow ... got kinda nervous there
for a while , but happy clients are your best advertisement , and
I'm starting to get a few passing my name out .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

I've talked with people who've gone into business for themselves and
it sorta terrifies me. I don't think that I'm ready for that leap.

This isn't the first time for me . Before I got into cabinet shop
work I ran a home repair/flooring install business . Got tired of
the hustle , worked for somebody else the last 18 or so years . But
people just aren't all that interedted in hiring a man my age , and
so here I am , back in business again . Got a few more skills now
too , last go-round I didn't have all the metalworking machinery .
Recently , I've been fabbing and installing lock boxes on AC
condenser cages . Couple of bucks for material , and I'm getting 45
bucks each for them . Works out to just under $30/hour average ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Cool!

I met someone up here in the Milwaukee area who started a small
business fabbing oil coolers for English motorcycles. He sold me his
HF 3-in-1 shear-brake-roller when he got something better to work
with.

I've been working on my Harley , a rubbermount touring model . Replacing a
drive belt , which involves a partial disassembly of the rear suspension .
Took some measurements today , I might be making a frame/suspension part out
of SS for a bud who rides a similar model . I was just thinking how cool it
would be to be able to program that part on a CNC mill and walk away ... and
come back about an hour later and take a finished part worth about 200 bucks
a pair off the machine .
But I don't have a CNC mill - yet .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-09, Snag wrote:

[ ... ]

Recently , I've been fabbing and installing lock boxes on AC condenser
cages . Couple of bucks for material , and I'm getting 45 bucks each for
them . Works out to just under $30/hour average ...

Sounds like a good job -- but why do they *need* locks on the
cages? Someone stealing Freon? (It is hard enough to get these days so
perhaps that *is* what is happening. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 9, 6:46*pm, "Snag" wrote:
Denis G. wrote:
On Oct 9, 6:53 am, "Snag" wrote:
Denis G. wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:57 pm, "Snag" wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

I'll bet that few people could have predicted what technology could
have brought with personal computers. Maybe someday CNC machines will
be as common as personal computers. I'd like to get my hands on one
too, but at this stage I'm probably over-reaching. I'm still learning
and having fun with the manual machines that I have.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 20:36:52 -0700, Denis G. wrote:
On Oct 9, 6:46*pm, "Snag" wrote:

* But I don't have a CNC mill - yet . --

I'll bet that few people could have predicted what technology could have
brought with personal computers. Maybe someday CNC machines will be as
common as personal computers. I'd like to get my hands on one too, but at
this stage I'm probably over-reaching. I'm still learning and having fun
with the manual machines that I have.

Well, if plastic is good enough:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Snag wrote:

Recently , I've been fabbing and installing lock boxes on AC condenser
cages . Couple of bucks for material , and I'm getting 45 bucks each for
them . Works out to just under $30/hour average ...

Sounds like a good job -- but why do they *need* locks on the cages?
Someone stealing Freon? (It is hard enough to g

Thieves are destroying A/C systems to steal the copper tubing.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a
tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?
Your thoughts appreciated.

Make 'em smile. "Jack of all trades that don't involve little
electronic bits, waste plumbing, or shoveling natural fertilizer."

You can undoubtedly come up with something better than my suggestion.
--
Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 9, 11:07*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 20:36:52 -0700, Denis G. wrote:
On Oct 9, 6:46*pm, "Snag" wrote:
* But I don't have a CNC mill - yet . --

I'll bet that few people could have predicted what technology could have
brought with personal computers. *Maybe someday CNC machines will be as
common as personal computers. *I'd like to get my hands on one too, but at
this stage I'm probably over-reaching. *I'm still learning and having fun
with the manual machines that I have.

Well, if plastic is good enough:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

Cheers!
Rich

Wait until they perfect the molten metal spray head. g

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Denis G." wrote in message
Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a
tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?
Your thoughts appreciated.

How about.

Repair Service

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-10, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Snag wrote:

Recently , I've been fabbing and installing lock boxes on AC condenser
cages . Couple of bucks for material , and I'm getting 45 bucks each for
them . Works out to just under $30/hour average ...

Sounds like a good job -- but why do they *need* locks on the cages?
Someone stealing Freon? (It is hard enough to g

Thieves are destroying A/C systems to steal the copper tubing.

Ouch! (And -- if you catch them, you can get them on the charge
of intentional relase of Freon into the atmosphere.)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-10, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Snag wrote:

Recently , I've been fabbing and installing lock boxes on AC condenser
cages . Couple of bucks for material , and I'm getting 45 bucks each for
them . Works out to just under $30/hour average ...

Sounds like a good job -- but why do they *need* locks on the cages?
Someone stealing Freon? (It is hard enough to g

Thieves are destroying A/C systems to steal the copper tubing.

Ouch! (And -- if you catch them, you can get them on the charge
of intentional relase of Freon into the atmosphere.)

They are committing a felony with the thousands of dollars it costs
to replace the smashed equipment

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Denis G." wrote in message
Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a
tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?
Your thoughts appreciated.

How about.

Repair Service

My first choice.

Otherwise, the cross-examination would go something like this:

"So, Mr. Smith, when you proposed to do the work for Mr. Jones, you
presented him with a card that inferred that you were an expert in all of
the trades and fully competent and capable of fixing his problem. Is that
correct?"

pause ................

Repair service, or just state your strong suits. If you're really good at
electrical or plumbing, why would you want to dork around with some ditz
that wants a special texture, and is going to make your life living hell for
six weeks, when you could have made as much money in two days on the
electrical or plumbing?

I rest my case, Your Honor.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:57:02 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

In home repair, a guy who can come in the door, fix a leaking hose to
a wash machine, tighten a door hinge or two, repair an outlet, and
clean the gutters on his way out is called a "Handyman".

If you're addressing a market that doesn't seem to have built-in
monikers, consider using adjectives related to "versatile",
"cross-discipline", etc.

--

Tim Wescott

And that's why my business is a "Handyman and Repair" business and my motto
is "I can fix almost anything !" .
And the business is starting to grow ... got kinda nervous there for a
while , but happy clients are your best advertisement , and I'm starting to
get a few passing my name out .

"fix anything but a broken heart or the crack of dawn"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
wrote:

"fix anything but a broken heart or the crack of dawn"

Dawn must be a plumber.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Denis G." wrote in message

Well, if plastic is good enough:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

Cheers!
Rich

Wait until they perfect the molten metal spray head. g

Yep I was aware of it too. I was peripherally involved in a project
with cold-spraying metal powder for sputtering targets, but it’s been
quite a while and I haven’t kept up with the news on the technology.
Have you seen any recent news on it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 12, 7:23*pm, wrote:
On 12 Oct 2010 02:34:28 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-10-12, wrote:
On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:57:02 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

* *[ ... ]

And that's why my business is a "Handyman and Repair" business and my motto
is "I can fix almost anything !" .
*And the business is starting to grow ... got kinda nervous there for a
while , but happy clients are your best advertisement , and I'm starting to
get a few passing my name out .

"fix anything but a broken heart or the crack of dawn"

* *And that only because I can't get the right rod. :-)

* *Enjoy,

*For the crack of dawn it's a simple "fusion" problem.- Hide quoted text -

If it's a bad one you're suppose to grind it out before making a root
pass with your rod.