Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default "Jack of all trades" business card?

Denis G. wrote:
On Oct 9, 6:53 am, "Snag" wrote:
Denis G. wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:57 pm, "Snag" wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
In home repair, a guy who can come in the door, fix a leaking hose
to a wash machine, tighten a door hinge or two, repair an outlet,
and clean the gutters on his way out is called a "Handyman".

If you're addressing a market that doesn't seem to have built-in
monikers, consider using adjectives related to "versatile",
"cross-discipline", etc.

--

Tim Wescott

And that's why my business is a "Handyman and Repair" business and
my motto is "I can fix almost anything !" .
And the business is starting to grow ... got kinda nervous there
for a while , but happy clients are your best advertisement , and
I'm starting to get a few passing my name out .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

I've talked with people who've gone into business for themselves and
it sorta terrifies me. I don't think that I'm ready for that leap.

This isn't the first time for me . Before I got into cabinet shop
work I ran a home repair/flooring install business . Got tired of
the hustle , worked for somebody else the last 18 or so years . But
people just aren't all that interedted in hiring a man my age , and
so here I am , back in business again . Got a few more skills now
too , last go-round I didn't have all the metalworking machinery .
Recently , I've been fabbing and installing lock boxes on AC
condenser cages . Couple of bucks for material , and I'm getting 45
bucks each for them . Works out to just under $30/hour average ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Cool!

I met someone up here in the Milwaukee area who started a small
business fabbing oil coolers for English motorcycles. He sold me his
HF 3-in-1 shear-brake-roller when he got something better to work
with.

I've been working on my Harley , a rubbermount touring model . Replacing a
drive belt , which involves a partial disassembly of the rear suspension .
Took some measurements today , I might be making a frame/suspension part out
of SS for a bud who rides a similar model . I was just thinking how cool it
would be to be able to program that part on a CNC mill and walk away ... and
come back about an hour later and take a finished part worth about 200 bucks
a pair off the machine .
But I don't have a CNC mill - yet .
--
Snag