Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mosin Nagant

Finally took possession of this 91/30. It was a local transaction,
just took a bit long.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosin-Nagant-1/

Based on in depth look, this rifle appears unissued. The safety on the
bolt, after repeated use, should leave a mark (gouge) on the receiver,
and the mark is missing. The rifle has no signs of use (no scratches
or gouges).

The bayonet is cool too.

All I can say is wow.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus17745" wrote in message
Finally took possession of this 91/30. It was a local transaction,
just took a bit long.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosin-Nagant-1/

Based on in depth look, this rifle appears unissued. The safety on the
bolt, after repeated use, should leave a mark (gouge) on the receiver,
and the mark is missing. The rifle has no signs of use (no scratches
or gouges).

The bayonet is cool too.

All I can say is wow.

A bud has two, one shoots OK-ish, the other will dot an "i" at 200 yds.
They often don't get the respect they deserve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 22:12:35 -0500, Ignoramus17745
wrote:

Finally took possession of this 91/30. It was a local transaction,
just took a bit long.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosin-Nagant-1/

Based on in depth look, this rifle appears unissued. The safety on the
bolt, after repeated use, should leave a mark (gouge) on the receiver,
and the mark is missing. The rifle has no signs of use (no scratches
or gouges).

Amazing. She does look clean.

The bayonet is cool too.

The spikes are my favorite, too. I have one for my SKS, but haven't
installed it.

All I can say is wow.

Ditto. What'd ya give for her?

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Finally took possession of this 91/30. It was a local transaction,
just took a bit long.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosin-Nagant-1/

Based on in depth look, this rifle appears unissued. The safety on the
bolt, after repeated use, should leave a mark (gouge) on the receiver,
and the mark is missing. The rifle has no signs of use (no scratches
or gouges).

Amazing. She does look clean.

I looked all over for evidence of use. I looked for scratches, gouges,
wear where sliding parts come in contact, wear from safety being
repeatedly engages, etc, and found nothing.

The bayonet is cool too.

The spikes are my favorite, too. I have one for my SKS, but haven't
installed it.

I actually prefer bladed bayonets, they are much more versatile.

All I can say is wow.

Ditto. What'd ya give for her?

$82.77. Not the cheapest ever deal, but pretty good for what looks
like a new rifle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-05, Buerste wrote:

"Ignoramus17745" wrote in message
Finally took possession of this 91/30. It was a local transaction,
just took a bit long.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosin-Nagant-1/

Based on in depth look, this rifle appears unissued. The safety on the
bolt, after repeated use, should leave a mark (gouge) on the receiver,
and the mark is missing. The rifle has no signs of use (no scratches
or gouges).

The bayonet is cool too.

All I can say is wow.

A bud has two, one shoots OK-ish, the other will dot an "i" at 200 yds.
They often don't get the respect they deserve.

I doubt that mine is a very accurate rifle, but I have not yet tried
it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Finally took possession of this 91/30. It was a local transaction,
just took a bit long.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosin-Nagant-1/

Based on in depth look, this rifle appears unissued. The safety on the
bolt, after repeated use, should leave a mark (gouge) on the receiver,
and the mark is missing. The rifle has no signs of use (no scratches
or gouges).

Amazing. She does look clean.

I looked all over for evidence of use. I looked for scratches, gouges,
wear where sliding parts come in contact, wear from safety being
repeatedly engages, etc, and found nothing.

Bore shiny, sharp, and perfect?

The bayonet is cool too.

The spikes are my favorite, too. I have one for my SKS, but haven't
installed it.

I actually prefer bladed bayonets, they are much more versatile.

For use off the rifle, or what?

All I can say is wow.

Ditto. What'd ya give for her?

$82.77. Not the cheapest ever deal, but pretty good for what looks
like a new rifle.

Damned good deal. Does the guy have any more like that? $80 for a
decent, long-range, sniperable rifle is a pittance. They do take a
lot of cleaning with that corrosive ammo, though.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:03:52 -0500, Ignoramus25694

On 2010-10-05, Buerste wrote:

"Ignoramus17745" wrote in message
Finally took possession of this 91/30. It was a local transaction,
just took a bit long.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosin-Nagant-1/

Based on in depth look, this rifle appears unissued. The safety on the
bolt, after repeated use, should leave a mark (gouge) on the receiver,
and the mark is missing. The rifle has no signs of use (no scratches
or gouges).

The bayonet is cool too.

All I can say is wow.

A bud has two, one shoots OK-ish, the other will dot an "i" at 200 yds.
They often don't get the respect they deserve.

I doubt that mine is a very accurate rifle, but I have not yet tried
it.

Hell, Ig. If the barrel has a minor bend, and it shoots around
corners, just set the scope to shoot around the same corner. No
biggie.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Finally took possession of this 91/30. It was a local transaction,
just took a bit long.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosin-Nagant-1/

Based on in depth look, this rifle appears unissued. The safety on the
bolt, after repeated use, should leave a mark (gouge) on the receiver,
and the mark is missing. The rifle has no signs of use (no scratches
or gouges).

Amazing. She does look clean.

I looked all over for evidence of use. I looked for scratches, gouges,
wear where sliding parts come in contact, wear from safety being
repeatedly engages, etc, and found nothing.

Bore shiny, sharp, and perfect?

It looks OK, it does seem shiny, but I am not sure about perfect.

The bayonet is cool too.

The spikes are my favorite, too. I have one for my SKS, but haven't
installed it.

I actually prefer bladed bayonets, they are much more versatile.

For use off the rifle, or what?

For all kinds of uses

All I can say is wow.

Ditto. What'd ya give for her?

$82.77. Not the cheapest ever deal, but pretty good for what looks
like a new rifle.

Damned good deal. Does the guy have any more like that? $80 for a
decent, long-range, sniperable rifle is a pittance. They do take a
lot of cleaning with that corrosive ammo, though.

No, it was just one. I am not personally sure that the rifle can be
easily fitted with optic sight. It has a round receiver.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

i- Hide quoted text -

Iggy,
Many rifles have round receivers.... Drill & tap is the common
procedure for putting mounts on these types of receivers.

For example, Mauser 98's are case hardened, and require a bit of spot
annealing before you drill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25694 wrote:

No, it was just one. I am not personally sure that the rifle can be
easily fitted with optic sight. It has a round receiver.

Easy for a qualified gunsmith, or even a decent machinist. Scope mount
milled to match the receiver's radius, a few screw holes drilled and
tapped.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17745 wrote:

Finally took possession of this 91/30. It was a local transaction,
just took a bit long.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosin-Nagant-1/

Based on in depth look, this rifle appears unissued. The safety on the
bolt, after repeated use, should leave a mark (gouge) on the receiver,
and the mark is missing. The rifle has no signs of use (no scratches
or gouges).

The bayonet is cool too.

All I can say is wow.

I have a few mosin's and a few nagants.

The M44 is a beast, short and stubby, arsensal refinished.

A number of other M/N rifle types.

And three 1895 revolvers. One actually has a decent trigger believe it or not. I should
shoot one someday.

So far I have English, French, Swiss, German, American, Russian, and Yugoslavian military
firearms. Sure wish I had scored a bent bolt 6.5 Swede in the good days when they were
cheap and easy to obtain but I wasn't into collecting then.

I may have missed a country or two. Austrian, I have some straight pulls, almost forgot.
Forgot the two sporter type 99 arisaka's.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25694 wrote:

Ditto. What'd ya give for her?

$82.77. Not the cheapest ever deal, but pretty good for what looks
like a new rifle.

Today, not bad, a while back too much if you had a 03 ffl. If the condition is really
good, just smile and enjoy a piece of your heritage. Lots of Nazi's didn't go home due to
M/N rifles. American arms tend to be sports cars. Russion arms more like tractors. Both
get a job done.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-06, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus25694 wrote:

Ditto. What'd ya give for her?

$82.77. Not the cheapest ever deal, but pretty good for what looks
like a new rifle.

Today, not bad, a while back too much if you had a 03 ffl. If the condition is really
good, just smile and enjoy a piece of your heritage. Lots of Nazi's didn't go home due to
M/N rifles. American arms tend to be sports cars. Russion arms more like tractors. Both
get a job done.

I personally admire American precision rifles. (say, Remington 700).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/5/2010 9:36 AM, Ignoramus25694 wrote:

No, it was just one. I am not personally sure that the rifle can be
easily fitted with optic sight. It has a round receiver.

How about a long eye relief scope mounted on the rear sight base?

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/ler.html

Down toward the bottom of the page he shows an M-N mount and some info
about other makers.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 15:10:50 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus25694 wrote:

No, it was just one. I am not personally sure that the rifle can be
easily fitted with optic sight. It has a round receiver.

Easy for a qualified gunsmith, or even a decent machinist. Scope mount
milled to match the receiver's radius, a few screw holes drilled and
tapped.

Piece of cake for our newest CNCer, eh? Which one of youse guys is
going to go hold his hand while he gets out the tiny, broken tap?
cringe

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus25694 wrote:

No, it was just one. I am not personally sure that the rifle can be
easily fitted with optic sight. It has a round receiver.

Easy for a qualified gunsmith, or even a decent machinist. Scope mount
milled to match the receiver's radius, a few screw holes drilled and
tapped.

Piece of cake for our newest CNCer, eh? Which one of youse guys is
going to go hold his hand while he gets out the tiny, broken tap?
cringe

I added a scope to my other Mosin Nagant (Finnish M39). At the time I
had no other tools, besides an electric drill. It worked out pretty
well. I am not going to modify this rifle for the sake of adding a
scope, I think that it would be somewhat insulting to the rifle.

I still do not think that adding a scope mount to a round receiver
would work as well, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/5/2010 7:49 PM, Wes wrote:
wrote:

[...]

What, no Spaniards?

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus25694 wrote:

No, it was just one. I am not personally sure that the rifle can be
easily fitted with optic sight. It has a round receiver.

Easy for a qualified gunsmith, or even a decent machinist. Scope mount
milled to match the receiver's radius, a few screw holes drilled and
tapped.

Piece of cake for our newest CNCer, eh? Which one of youse guys is
going to go hold his hand while he gets out the tiny, broken tap?
cringe

I added a scope to my other Mosin Nagant (Finnish M39). At the time I
had no other tools, besides an electric drill. It worked out pretty
well. I am not going to modify this rifle for the sake of adding a
scope, I think that it would be somewhat insulting to the rifle.

I still do not think that adding a scope mount to a round receiver
would work as well, though.

thousands, possibly millions of rifles with round receivers have
successfully had scopes mounted over the last century. it's a very
standard operation. All it takes is a base with the same curve, and a
couple of holes drilled and tapped.

--
I can see November from my front porch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus25694 wrote:

No, it was just one. I am not personally sure that the rifle can be
easily fitted with optic sight. It has a round receiver.

Easy for a qualified gunsmith, or even a decent machinist. Scope mount
milled to match the receiver's radius, a few screw holes drilled and
tapped.

Piece of cake for our newest CNCer, eh? Which one of youse guys is
going to go hold his hand while he gets out the tiny, broken tap?
cringe

I added a scope to my other Mosin Nagant (Finnish M39). At the time I
had no other tools, besides an electric drill. It worked out pretty
well. I am not going to modify this rifle for the sake of adding a
scope, I think that it would be somewhat insulting to the rifle.

Ah, so it's a collector ya have there, me lad? Foine, foine.

I still do not think that adding a scope mount to a round receiver
would work as well, though.

Well enough to work, not as well as a square, or what?

"Sticky Mosin Nagant Bolt? Making your Mosin Rock parts 1 & 2" M91/30
M38 M44 M39 Finnish Russian instructional videos describe lots of
interesting things. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXC_PQkLkNA

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

I may have missed a country or two. Austrian, I have some straight pulls, almost forgot.
Forgot the two sporter type 99 arisaka's.

What, no Spaniards?

Sorry no. Just saw flyer from AIM, they want $300 for romanian sks's on a 03 license.
Collecting got a bit too rich for my current pay scale. I think the last really good deal
was the 7.5 swiss rifles and that was a long time ago. I am so thankfull I got some
mausers back in the 89-129 dollar days.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-06, Wes wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:

I may have missed a country or two. Austrian, I have some straight pulls, almost forgot.
Forgot the two sporter type 99 arisaka's.

What, no Spaniards?

Sorry no. Just saw flyer from AIM, they want $300 for romanian sks's on a 03 license.
Collecting got a bit too rich for my current pay scale. I think the last really good deal
was the 7.5 swiss rifles and that was a long time ago. I am so thankfull I got some
mausers back in the 89-129 dollar days.

Wes

Yep, the Mausers are very expensive nowadays. I think that a lot of
them was destroyed past=WWII, unlike the Mosins which were warehoused.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25694 wrote:

Today, not bad, a while back too much if you had a 03 ffl. If the condition is really
good, just smile and enjoy a piece of your heritage. Lots of Nazi's didn't go home due to
M/N rifles. American arms tend to be sports cars. Russion arms more like tractors. Both
get a job done.

I personally admire American precision rifles. (say, Remington 700).

I admire how Russians can make something that works that a peasant with a bit of education
can keep working. My sports car and tractor comment was praise for a different way of
thinking.

For example, we have bought these for the Afghans.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...air-force.html

Then there was the Mig-25 that had one main purpose. However, we, using our biases,
thought was something else. We of course made the F-15 to counter it. Being a phormer
phantom phixer, I like air craft that have engines that could make a brick fly. Think
J79.

The Russian a/c was a single mode for the most part a/c but the F15 had to do everything
and do it well. That is why American warfighting tools are so darn expensive.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-06, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus25694 wrote:

[...]

F15 seems to be a very successful airplane, as far as I can tell. So
is Mi-17 helicopter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
On 2010-10-06, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus25694 wrote:

[...]

The F-16 beats them all. It's been in continuous production since 1974
with more made than any other jet.
--
Al Dykes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , says...

In article ,
On 2010-10-06, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus25694 wrote:

[...]

More than the Mig-21? You might want to check again? And in what way
does it "beat them all"?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 01:34:06 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

"Ignoramus17745" wrote in message
Finally took possession of this 91/30. It was a local transaction,
just took a bit long.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosin-Nagant-1/

Based on in depth look, this rifle appears unissued. The safety on the
bolt, after repeated use, should leave a mark (gouge) on the receiver,
and the mark is missing. The rifle has no signs of use (no scratches
or gouges).

The bayonet is cool too.

All I can say is wow.

A bud has two, one shoots OK-ish, the other will dot an "i" at 200 yds.
They often don't get the respect they deserve.

Check out the M39 Finns..they are captured and reworked MNs and are
incredibly accurate. More so than a star gauged Springfield.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/finnishmosin/index.asp

These are the only MNs that I bother handloading for. I keep thinking
about scoping one......

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I put a scope on mine, works great. It is easy, too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:36:44 -0500, Ignoramus25694

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:17:15 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

On 10/5/2010 9:36 AM, Ignoramus25694 wrote:

No, it was just one. I am not personally sure that the rifle can be
easily fitted with optic sight. It has a round receiver.

How about a long eye relief scope mounted on the rear sight base?

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/ler.html

Down toward the bottom of the page he shows an M-N mount and some info
about other makers.

David

They work well enough, if you locktite everything down. Ive several arms
Ive made mounts like this for. This of course prevents (in most cases)
speed loader loading however. Which is not a big issue generally.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:54:48 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Ignoramus25694 wrote:

Ditto. What'd ya give for her?

$82.77. Not the cheapest ever deal, but pretty good for what looks
like a new rifle.

Today, not bad, a while back too much if you had a 03 ffl. If the condition is really
good, just smile and enjoy a piece of your heritage. Lots of Nazi's didn't go home due to
M/N rifles. American arms tend to be sports cars. Russion arms more like tractors. Both
get a job done.

Wes

"Americans went to war with target rifles
Germans went war with hunting rifles
Brits went to war with battle rifles"

Russians went to war with tractors

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:34:39 -0500, Ignoramus25694

On 2010-10-06, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus25694 wrote:

Ditto. What'd ya give for her?

$82.77. Not the cheapest ever deal, but pretty good for what looks
like a new rifle.

Today, not bad, a while back too much if you had a 03 ffl. If the condition is really
good, just smile and enjoy a piece of your heritage. Lots of Nazi's didn't go home due to
M/N rifles. American arms tend to be sports cars. Russion arms more like tractors. Both
get a job done.

I personally admire American precision rifles. (say, Remington 700).

Well.....the 700 is a good foundation for a precision rifle..but out of
the box..hardly "precision"

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:34:01 -0500, Ignoramus25694

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-06, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus25694 wrote:

Ditto. What'd ya give for her?

$82.77. Not the cheapest ever deal, but pretty good for what looks
like a new rifle.

Today, not bad, a while back too much if you had a 03 ffl. If the condition is really
good, just smile and enjoy a piece of your heritage. Lots of Nazi's didn't go home due to
M/N rifles. American arms tend to be sports cars. Russion arms more like tractors. Both
get a job done.

I personally admire American precision rifles. (say, Remington 700).

Well.....the 700 is a good foundation for a precision rifle..but out of
the box..hardly "precision"

Is there a precision rifle, that one could buy under one grand. Not
that I would want to do it...

Any thought on a Mossberg 7mm Rem Mag? What is it capable of?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-06, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus25694 wrote:

Ditto. What'd ya give for her?

$82.77. Not the cheapest ever deal, but pretty good for what looks
like a new rifle.

Today, not bad, a while back too much if you had a 03 ffl. If the condition is really
good, just smile and enjoy a piece of your heritage. Lots of Nazi's didn't go home due to
M/N rifles. American arms tend to be sports cars. Russion arms more like tractors. Both
get a job done.

I personally admire American precision rifles. (say, Remington 700).

Well.....the 700 is a good foundation for a precision rifle..but out of
the box..hardly "precision"

Is there a precision rifle, that one could buy under one grand. Not
that I would want to do it...

Any thought on a Mossberg 7mm Rem Mag? What is it capable of?

I think at this moment..If I were to be purchasing an "out of the box"
rifle for accuracy...Id buy one of the current model heavy barreled
Savages. They are VERY accurate for an out of the box rifle. Very
nicely done.

Not knowing WHICH of the various Mossbergs you are discussing..I cant
give you an opinion other than several of them that Ive owned over the
years were "adequate" in accuracy.

Now a well made "accuracy" rifle in 7mm mag..they can be exceptionally
accurate. Many of the 1000 yrd matches over the years have been won with
the 7mm Mag with proper handloads.

Ive a medium weight 700 Remington thats been pillar bedded, etc etc
etc..that will shoot 2" groups at 400 yrds, 6" groups at 800 and 10"
groups at 1000 yrds...for about 5 shots..and then they start to open up
a bit. Barrel has not been cryo'd and is of so so quality and the
trigger is stock with a shrug..."fair" 12x scope.

If I were to mod out this rifle for long range shooting..it would get a
much better barrel, decent glass and an aftermarket trigger..and a good
stock.

Now 7 mag is not one of my favorite cartridges for long range.
Shrug..but they are suitable in most cases.

300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua, 416 Taylor etc etc....the list of GOOD long
range cartridges is pretty long.

Gunner, who lives in the desert and can easily shoot many thousands of
yrds...hundreds of thousands of yards.....

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-10, Gunner Asch wrote:
I think at this moment..If I were to be purchasing an "out of the box"
rifle for accuracy...Id buy one of the current model heavy barreled
Savages. They are VERY accurate for an out of the box rifle. Very
nicely done.

Like, what model? Say, 12 FVSS?

[...]

The reason why I like rifles more than handguns, is that I can mess
with them, add scopes, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/9/2010 3:38 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

"Americans went to war with target rifles
Germans went war with hunting rifles
Brits went to war with battle rifles"

Russians went to war with tractors

Gunner

And the T34/76 was a really GOOD tractor!

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 09:05:41 -0500, Ignoramus10202
wrote:

On 2010-10-10, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

No scoped handguns in your battery? Check out Thompson-Contenders.

Now the big question is...how far can you actually shoot in your area?

It may be like having a tricked out car or truck that will go from 0-120
in 4 seconds..but if your speed limit is 55....you will sooner or later
have some issues.....

Living in the north woods of Michigan, I had no or little ability to
shoot 400 yrds let alone 1500. So an accurate to 1500 yrd cartridge/arm
really was...superflouious.

Living in the desert..thats another matter completely.

You do know that the 45-70 can be an acceptionally accurate..very
accurate cartridge, in the proper arm, right? 1 hole 5 shot groups are
common. But while it will indeed shoot out to 1000 yrds....one must
watch out for low flying planes when doing so.

Living in a "short range" state as you do...I think Id go more towards
the small .22 centerfires than the big long range express cartridges.
You can at least find 200 yrds to shoot em, unlike a .338 Lapua etc