Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mosin Nagant

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 09:05:41 -0500, Ignoramus10202

On 2010-10-10, Gunner Asch wrote:
I think at this moment..If I were to be purchasing an "out of the box"
rifle for accuracy...Id buy one of the current model heavy barreled
Savages. They are VERY accurate for an out of the box rifle. Very
nicely done.

Like, what model? Say, 12 FVSS?

Not knowing WHICH of the various Mossbergs you are discussing..I
cant give you an opinion other than several of them that Ive owned
over the years were "adequate" in accuracy.

Now a well made "accuracy" rifle in 7mm mag..they can be exceptionally
accurate. Many of the 1000 yrd matches over the years have been won with
the 7mm Mag with proper handloads.

Ive a medium weight 700 Remington thats been pillar bedded, etc etc
etc..that will shoot 2" groups at 400 yrds, 6" groups at 800 and 10"
groups at 1000 yrds...for about 5 shots..and then they start to open up
a bit. Barrel has not been cryo'd and is of so so quality and the
trigger is stock with a shrug..."fair" 12x scope.

If I were to mod out this rifle for long range shooting..it would get a
much better barrel, decent glass and an aftermarket trigger..and a good
stock.

Now 7 mag is not one of my favorite cartridges for long range.
Shrug..but they are suitable in most cases.

300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua, 416 Taylor etc etc....the list of GOOD long
range cartridges is pretty long.

The reason why I like rifles more than handguns, is that I can mess
with them, add scopes, etc.

No scoped handguns in your battery? Check out Thompson-Contenders.

Now the big question is...how far can you actually shoot in your area?

It may be like having a tricked out car or truck that will go from 0-120
in 4 seconds..but if your speed limit is 55....you will sooner or later
have some issues.....

Living in the north woods of Michigan, I had no or little ability to
shoot 400 yrds let alone 1500. So an accurate to 1500 yrd cartridge/arm
really was...superflouious.

Living in the desert..thats another matter completely.

You do know that the 45-70 can be an acceptionally accurate..very
accurate cartridge, in the proper arm, right? 1 hole 5 shot groups are
common. But while it will indeed shoot out to 1000 yrds....one must
watch out for low flying planes when doing so.

Living in a "short range" state as you do...I think Id go more towards
the small .22 centerfires than the big long range express cartridges.
You can at least find 200 yrds to shoot em, unlike a .338 Lapua etc

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)