Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT (?) Camper refrigerators

Well , the cooling fins are metal ...
We have a camper with a dual-power refr. unit . It stopped suddenly on
Monday ... It's a Dometic RM2652 unit , if that helps . I haven't been
onsite to diagnose yet , but have downloaded a few pages of diagnostics to
my thumb drive . Preliminary indications are towards a main board gone T/U
Does anyone here have any info on common weaknesses of these units ? Is
the main board a "usual suspect" when they just die ?

--
Snag
Still learnin' ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" fired this volley in
:

Well , the cooling fins are metal ...
We have a camper with a dual-power refr. unit . It stopped suddenly
on
Monday ... It's a Dometic RM2652 unit , if that helps . I haven't been
onsite to diagnose yet , but have downloaded a few pages of
diagnostics to my thumb drive . Preliminary indications are towards a
main board gone T/U ...
Does anyone here have any info on common weaknesses of these units ?
Is
the main board a "usual suspect" when they just die ?

Servel-cyle units are pretty solid, unless they develop a leak in the
sealed system (which happens pretty often at about 10-15 years age, since
the system is all iron pipe, which rusts).

Since the heating element leads are exposed clearly in all RV units, you
might consider disconnecting them and powering the (120V) element
directly from a patch cord. If the unit cools, it's the controller.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 15, 5:31*pm, "Snag" wrote:
Well , the cooling fins are metal ...
* We have a camper with a dual-power refr. unit . It stopped suddenly on
Monday ... It's a Dometic RM2652 unit , if that helps . I haven't been
onsite to diagnose yet , but have downloaded a few pages of diagnostics to
my thumb drive . Preliminary indications are towards a main board gone T/U
* Does anyone here have any info on common weaknesses of these units ? Is
the main board a "usual suspect" when they just die ?

--
Snag
Still learnin' ...

We have such a refer in our 5th wheel. Runs on either propane or 120
VAC shore power. Type of power to use is selected by push button at
the top of the unit. You didn't say which was being used when your
unit stopped. If it was using propane, did the propane bottle run
empty? Did the "fault" light come on?

Each year before we start camping, I pull the outside cover and blow
all the dirt, spiders and other stuff out with compressed air. Lots of
stuff comes out!

The units run on ammonia gas and if this leaks out, the cooling stops.
Have you smelled any ammonia in your camper? Well, you said you
haven't inspected the unit, so I guess you wouldn't know, yet.

Hard to guess until you know more.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:31:20 -0600, "Snag"
wrote:

Well , the cooling fins are metal ...
We have a camper with a dual-power refr. unit . It stopped suddenly on
Monday ... It's a Dometic RM2652 unit , if that helps . I haven't been
onsite to diagnose yet , but have downloaded a few pages of diagnostics to
my thumb drive . Preliminary indications are towards a main board gone T/U
Does anyone here have any info on common weaknesses of these units ? Is
the main board a "usual suspect" when they just die ?

dual power as in 12/110, 12/lpg, 110 lpg?

The electric part of an LPG dual power is just a strip heater to take
the place of the pilot flame. The biggest problem with lpg fridges is
dirt on the "pilot" flame or nests blocking the draft.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Well , the cooling fins are metal ...
We have a camper with a dual-power refr. unit . It stopped suddenly on
Monday ... It's a Dometic RM2652 unit , if that helps . I haven't been
onsite to diagnose yet , but have downloaded a few pages of diagnostics to
my thumb drive . Preliminary indications are towards a main board gone T/U
Does anyone here have any info on common weaknesses of these units ? Is
the main board a "usual suspect" when they just die ?

--
Snag
Still learnin' ...

Have had a thermocouple go bad. Bad connection on the 110v side and bad
thermocouple on the gas side.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"CalifBill" wrote in message
news

"Snag" wrote in message
Well , the cooling fins are metal ...
We have a camper with a dual-power refr. unit . It stopped suddenly on
Monday ... It's a Dometic RM2652 unit , if that helps . I haven't been
onsite to diagnose yet , but have downloaded a few pages of diagnostics
to my thumb drive . Preliminary indications are towards a main board gone
T/U ...
Does anyone here have any info on common weaknesses of these units ? Is
the main board a "usual suspect" when they just die ?

--
Snag
Still learnin' ...

Have had a thermocouple go bad. Bad connection on the 110v side and bad
thermocouple on the gas side.

I had one quit because a wire came loose. There are some things inside the
cover that need a tester and a trained tech, but some things, like spider
webs and mud dauber nests and hanging wires are obvious fixes.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"CalifBill" wrote in message
news

"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

I found the bad AC connection when pulling out the gas thermocouple. The
spade connector was not in the spade part, but was touching, at least for a
while, inside the plastic shield.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Snag" fired this volley in
:

[...]

Yup , that's one of the suggested tests . Thanks !

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Dec 15, 5:31 pm, "Snag" wrote:
[...]

The wife is there , it's where she stays during the week to save driving
time . No ammonia , so we think the sealed unit is OK . I'll take a
compressor ... Thanks !

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CalifBill wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

"CalifBill" wrote in message
news

"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

Hopefully it'll be something simple like that loose wire or blocked airflow
.. Thanks to both of you !

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
CalifBill wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

"CalifBill" wrote in message
news
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

My BIL, who is not mechanically inclined, plus lazy, took his to the dealer.
It sat two weeks. He finally went over and raised hell. The manager had
the tekkie look at it. He found a broken wire and a spiders nest. Fixed it
in five minutes. Charged him $180 for two hours labor.
Sometimes, one can fix them. Other times, it's time to take it to the shop.
If you know anyone familiar with electronics, they can help trouble shoot a
relay or other device very inexpensively. They are expensive to have worked
on because there aren't a lot of people who are familiar with them, and
secondly, they got you by the grapes.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
CalifBill wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

"CalifBill" wrote in message
news
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

I'm moderately adept at troubleshooting stuff . Especially when I have about
20 pages of info downloaded onto a thumb drive ... plug it into the laptop ,
got all the tests right in front of me .
Technology's just alright with me ! I suspect the main board is gone ,
which is about a hundred bucks plus shipping . Hey , I might get lucky and
find something cheaper to repair . I should know by Saturday afternoon !
--
Snag
If it's not one thing

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message

I'm moderately adept at troubleshooting stuff . Especially when I have
about 20 pages of info downloaded onto a thumb drive ... plug it into the
laptop , got all the tests right in front of me .
Technology's just alright with me ! I suspect the main board is gone ,
which is about a hundred bucks plus shipping . Hey , I might get lucky and
find something cheaper to repair . I should know by Saturday afternoon !
--
Snag
If it's not one thing
it's another !
(R. Rosanna-danna)

You probably already know that the fridge has to be level (or bouncing
down the road) in order to make "cold"... and if you smell mouse ****
inside, it's probably the ammonia leaking out of the cooling system.
Every time my brother-in-law called about his fridge not working it was
because he didn't have the RV level... except the last time, when it smelled
like mouse **** and I had to replace the entire cooling section with an
Amish-built super-cooler.
I think we bought it from these guys:
http://rvcoolingunit.com/s298/Tech-I...8.aspx?SID=298

Happy camper TDDriver Woodworking 1 July 3rd 09 11:13 PM
update to poor fuel consumption on Camper FYI The Natural Philosopher UK diy 12 September 5th 08 05:53 PM
wiring up my camper for mains andyv UK diy 6 July 18th 06 10:22 PM
German camper electrics andyv UK diy 3 July 13th 06 09:51 AM
Replacing coax in RV camper etc?? [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 May 17th 05 11:30 PM