Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wiring up my camper for mains

I've got a 1979 VW camper which has got a continental type male inlet
socket. It's got two cartridge fuses and originally connected
internally up to a single standard continental two pin power outlet
socket.

On my camper chat group, I'm getting confused messages about what I
need to make it safe to modern standards.

I want to have a circuit feeding my 240V fridge and a double UK power
socket which I might use for lighting and just possibly a fan heater.

What do I need in terms of circuit breakers. There are MCB's, RCD's and
there seems to be a device which combines both items (RCDO?). I'd like
to keep this as compact as possible and not have a big house sized
consumer unit.

One issue I'm not sure about is that I'm getting an incoming plug which
I'm told will be possible to plug in either way round, so it's not
polarity dependent.

What bits do I need to make it safe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What do I need in terms of circuit breakers. There are MCB's, RCD's and
there seems to be a device which combines both items (RCDO?). I'd like
to keep this as compact as possible and not have a big house sized
consumer unit.

You can buy all in one systems intended for caravans/motor caravans. These
combine the mains protection, polarity reversal, battery charger and
sometimes even an inverter.

However, if you just want a cheap mains system, you need a 16A RCBO in a
small box. Also, you need some way of telling the polarity in case it is the
wrong way round. It will be cheaper to just turn the plug 180 degrees than
install a polarity reversal switch. I would suggest just getting a simple
plug in mains tester. Each time you set up, it will quickly indicate most
polarity and earth faults using a set of neon lights.

So, I would buy something like the following:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM91603.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BHCT2.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ter/index.html

Technically you should probably have a 4 way unit with a switch isolator as
well, but I doubt it is really necessary as the plug provides isolation.
Although not sure, I doubt the RCBO is dual pole switched.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jul 2006 02:57:14 -0700 someone who may be "andyv"
wrote this:-

On my camper chat group, I'm getting confused messages about what I
need to make it safe to modern standards.

Don't have any electricity, don't have any gas, don't have any
water. After you have done this remove the wheels and what is left
will be reasonably safe.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
[...]

The diagram on the front of the RCBO shows that it is triple pole switched
with the third pole disconnecting the test button.

I wonder, do all RCBOs disconnect live and neutral? I always assumed that
they did but assumptions are not enough and I fit very few of these. Has
anyone got a reg to say yes or no to this?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wonder, do all RCBOs disconnect live and neutral?

I was led to believe that most are single pole, with some double pole. It
would appear that the Contactum is one of the double pole ones, then!

I wonder if there is a correlation between single/double width units and the
number of poles? Alternatively, I may be mistaken and all RCBOs are DP.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
I wonder, do all RCBOs disconnect live and neutral?

I was led to believe that most are single pole, with some double pole. It
would appear that the Contactum is one of the double pole ones, then!

I wonder if there is a correlation between single/double width units and
the
number of poles? Alternatively, I may be mistaken and all RCBOs are DP.

The single module MK one are certainly single pole (just checked their data
sheet)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So, I would buy something like the following:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM91603.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BHCT2.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Test_Meters_Index/Ring_Main_Tester/index.html
Christian.

Many thanks - just what I needed.

wiring behind skirting boards markzoom UK diy 101 April 3rd 05 12:14 PM
Any CH Wiring experts! Pete UK diy 16 August 27th 04 02:15 AM
telephone wiring question barry martin Home Repair 0 August 11th 04 02:43 AM
peculiar wiring in residential switch box? David Jones Home Repair 6 July 19th 04 11:25 PM
Question about wiring lights David W.E. Roberts UK diy 2 April 6th 04 06:05 PM