Posted to uk.d-i-y
andyv andyv is offline

Default wiring up my camper for mains

I've got a 1979 VW camper which has got a continental type male inlet
socket. It's got two cartridge fuses and originally connected
internally up to a single standard continental two pin power outlet
socket.

On my camper chat group, I'm getting confused messages about what I
need to make it safe to modern standards.

I want to have a circuit feeding my 240V fridge and a double UK power
socket which I might use for lighting and just possibly a fan heater.

What do I need in terms of circuit breakers. There are MCB's, RCD's and
there seems to be a device which combines both items (RCDO?). I'd like
to keep this as compact as possible and not have a big house sized
consumer unit.

One issue I'm not sure about is that I'm getting an incoming plug which
I'm told will be possible to plug in either way round, so it's not
polarity dependent.

What bits do I need to make it safe?