Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default buy AR15

I'm shopping for my Xmass present. (Get yer own present - always git what u
wunt)

I'm looking for a hunting quality AR15. Not a match grade rifle, not a POS.
Is this a great deal? other suggestions?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=144274940

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm shopping for my Xmass present. (Get yer own present - always git what u
wunt)

I'm looking for a hunting quality AR15. Not a match grade rifle, not a POS.
Is this a great deal? other suggestions?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=144274940

Karl, that is basically retail price for that rifle. You could probably
beat it by shopping around, but not by enough to matter. I would have a
hard time matching that price by assembling the parts.

Oly used to have a so-so reputation, but that was mostly the snobs
talking. Nothing wrong with them, and they are reportedly accurate.

Personally, I would prefer a longer SS barrel - 20" or 24"
It might depend on what you are hunting - varmints from a rest, or game
in thick brush.

If that configuration fits your needs, buy it.
If you decide you need something different, they are very easy to
re-configure to suit. or buy another one, they do tend to multiply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I'm shopping for my Xmass present. (Get yer own present - always git what
u wunt)

I'm looking for a hunting quality AR15. Not a match grade rifle, not a
POS. Is this a great deal? other suggestions?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=144274940

Karl

I've got a Mini-14 stainless I'l part with for less.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've got a Mini-14 stainless I'l part with for less.

I have a mini-14 stainless also. Set it up with a folding stock, flash
suppressor, and scope. Got a whole bunch of 30 round clips. I understand
the clips will interchange with the AR-15

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

I've got a Mini-14 stainless I'l part with for less.

I have a mini-14 stainless also. Set it up with a folding stock, flash
suppressor, and scope. Got a whole bunch of 30 round clips. I understand
the clips will interchange with the AR-15

Karl

I don't think the mags are interchangeable. Larry or Gunner would know for
sure. Do you want to sell any mags?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lets see. Rifle which fires a varmint cartridge, and "black
rifle" look which freaks sheeple / people out? Likely to be
banned by this or that ordinance. Very low on my list for
those reasons.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
message
anews.com...
I'm shopping for my Xmass present. (Get yer own present -
always git what u
wunt)

I'm looking for a hunting quality AR15. Not a match grade
rifle, not a POS.
Is this a great deal? other suggestions?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=144274940

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Actually, the AR style rifles are getting more popular with hunters...
especially in larger calibers like the .243 & .308; there's an article in
the latest American Rifleman about hunting with these "modern"
semi-automatic rifles.
Even Remington is offering an AR style rifle and using the tag line
"Built to Hunt" in their ads:
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...Model_R-25.asp

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Lets see. Rifle which fires a varmint cartridge, and "black
rifle" look which freaks sheeple / people out? Likely to be
banned by this or that ordinance. Very low on my list for
those reasons.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
message
anews.com...
I'm shopping for my Xmass present. (Get yer own present -
always git what u
wunt)

I'm looking for a hunting quality AR15. Not a match grade
rifle, not a POS.
Is this a great deal? other suggestions?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=144274940

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 05:38:26 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
tanews.com...

I've got a Mini-14 stainless I'l part with for less.

I have a mini-14 stainless also. Set it up with a folding stock, flash
suppressor, and scope. Got a whole bunch of 30 round clips. I understand
the clips will interchange with the AR-15

Karl

I don't think the mags are interchangeable. Larry or Gunner would know for
sure. Do you want to sell any mags?

Not I. It was Gunner who opened my eyes to the real numbers behind
handguns 5ish years ago and brought me over from the anti- group. But
I haven't truly immersed myself in the gun culture as yet. Maybe after
The American Revolution 2.0, or during it, huh?

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I've got a Mini-14 stainless I'l part with for less.

I have a mini-14 stainless also. Set it up with a folding stock, flash
suppressor, and scope. Got a whole bunch of 30 round clips. I understand
the clips will interchange with the AR-15

Then it's time to buy a real semi auto. Get yourself
an M1A and don't look back.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Sounds like a reason to buy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 05:38:26 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I've got a Mini-14 stainless I'l part with for less.
I have a mini-14 stainless also. Set it up with a folding stock, flash
suppressor, and scope. Got a whole bunch of 30 round clips. I understand
the clips will interchange with the AR-15

Nope, no interchanging Ar and mini mags.
They look similar, but that's it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 6, 12:57*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I've got a Mini-14 stainless I'l part with for less.

I have a mini-14 stainless also. Set it up with a folding stock, flash
suppressor, and scope. Got a whole bunch of 30 round clips. *I understand
the clips will interchange with the AR-15

Karl

There were some mags that were made in the distant past, pre-'94, that
would fit both rifles, badly. Regular factory-style mini-14 mags
won't fit an AR. Depends on what you have.

My experience with mini-14s is that they're minute-of-washtub,
slightly worse than my SKS. The bull barrel on the AR shoots one hole
groups with the right ammo at 100 yards, definitely varmint-quality.
Used to be mini-14 prices were about half what they wanted for an AR,
they're right up there now.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
I've got a Mini-14 stainless I'l part with for less.

I have a mini-14 stainless also. Set it up with a folding stock, flash
suppressor, and scope. Got a whole bunch of 30 round clips. I understand
the clips will interchange with the AR-15

Then it's time to buy a real semi auto. Get yourself
an M1A and don't look back.

Real semi auto? Forget the A and go straight to the Garand

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I've got a Mini-14 stainless I'l part with for less.

I have a mini-14 stainless also. Set it up with a folding stock, flash
suppressor, and scope. Got a whole bunch of 30 round clips. I understand
the clips will interchange with the AR-15

Karl

There were some mags that were made in the distant past, pre-'94, that
would fit both rifles, badly. Regular factory-style mini-14 mags
won't fit an AR. Depends on what you have.

My experience with mini-14s is that they're minute-of-washtub,
slightly worse than my SKS. The bull barrel on the AR shoots one hole
groups with the right ammo at 100 yards, definitely varmint-quality.
Used to be mini-14 prices were about half what they wanted for an AR,
they're right up there now.

Stan

That's why I want to sell my two Minis and build an AR-10 or go bolt action,
or just get some more pistols.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:40:48 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I'm shopping for my Xmass present. (Get yer own present - always git what u
wunt)

I'm looking for a hunting quality AR15. Not a match grade rifle, not a POS.
Is this a great deal? other suggestions?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=144274940

Karl

Its about average retail pricing now that the load has fallen off a bit.

Its not a fancy arm..but its a decent reliable one. A good un.

What sort of optics are you planning on putting on it?

Scope or combat optics?

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
wrote:
I've got a Mini-14 stainless I'l part with for less.
I have a mini-14 stainless also. Set it up with a folding stock, flash
suppressor, and scope. Got a whole bunch of 30 round clips. I
understand
the clips will interchange with the AR-15

Karl
There were some mags that were made in the distant past, pre-'94, that
would fit both rifles, badly. Regular factory-style mini-14 mags
won't fit an AR. Depends on what you have.

My experience with mini-14s is that they're minute-of-washtub,
slightly worse than my SKS. The bull barrel on the AR shoots one hole
groups with the right ammo at 100 yards, definitely varmint-quality.
Used to be mini-14 prices were about half what they wanted for an AR,
they're right up there now.
Supposedly ruger got tired of complaints and retooled the Mini14 for
accuracy a few years ago. Still not as good as an AR, but probably
1.5 MOA with the right ammo. And it's arguably more rugged.

I have 2 or 3 ARs, but I'll also be buying a mini14 when I find the
right deal.

What's the right deal?

Late-model stainless LNIB at $600 or less.

They sell new for $669 at the last few gunshows here in ft Worth.

Actually, my stainless is early but hasn't had 100 rds through it. What's
the dif?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:

Actually, my stainless is early but hasn't had 100 rds through it. What's
the dif?

The early models had terrible accuracy. The latest ones have been
improved to poor. My worst SKS will out shoot the best Mini-14 or
Mini-30 I've shot.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:09:36 -0600, RBnDFW wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Sigh..and all the good toys are illegal here in California.

Gunner, jonesing badly for another STG-58

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Just send them a California Button to install before shipping to you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 19:35:19 -0800, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

No can do. Has to be "approved" before sale to California.

So Im stuck with the M1A and their clones...and Mini-14s...snicker...

Far too expensive for the one..and far to crappy and inaccurate for the
other.

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Actually I thought it had to be on the banned list, or it could be sold.

Its on the Banned list. FN-FAL and variations.

While the rest of the nation gave up the Assualt Weapons Bill a few
years back..California had their very own..and they keep adding to it.

You know that most handguns are not able to be sold in California..not
even NEW ones..high quality ones?

Every weapon that is intended to be sold in California, samples must be
sent to Sacto for "testing". Now if the weapon is changed in ANY
way..new sights, different barrel length, color, stainless over blue
rather than blue over stainless...a sample of Each must be submitted to
Sacto, along with a fair amount of money for "testing" before it can be
sold in California.

One cannot buy a new Kimber here, they told California to **** off. Same
with many other manufactures. Even Ruger.

Which of course has had some ramifications for law enforcement
here.....manufactures are not selling police replacement arms to match
those already sold. Many are simply telling California agencies to ****
off. Barrett did, as did many others.

But hey..its California..a state run for 45 or more years by
Demonrats...and #3 worst economy of the US..
One time of course..it was the 7th largest economy in the world.
No more.

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I read about that and the law clearly exempted private sales. So while
you may not be able to buy the non-CA tested handgun at a retail gun
store in CA, there was no restriction on privately importing one into
CA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Actually..you cant import a handgun into California without going
through a FFL...and you cant bring in a "non approved" or prohibited
firearm of any kind to California.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#22

22. I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are
the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by
California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal
firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ
within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership
Report. PDF logo [PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report
rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a
capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into
California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

Have a fun time reading this bit of trash....

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

Its worse than the US Assault Weapon Ban was. And its never going away.
At least..not until all the Leftards are dead and bulldozed into mass
graves.

Oh..before I forget... Handguns "certified for sale in California"

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

List of "good guns"

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp

A list of those that have lost Certification..

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/removed.pdf

It should be noted that several Glock models are not on the Cert
list..but are allowed for Law Enforcement carry..of course. As well as
virtually any handgun on the Removed list.

And No handgun NOT on the Good Gun list may be imported or sold...except
to cops.

Gunner

DISCLAIMER: The content does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either
my ISP, myself, my company or employer, my friends (if any,) my goldfish or
my neighbour's mad dog; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything;
all rights reserved; the post is distribution copyrighted to the extent that
you may distribute the post and all its associated parts freely but you may
not make a profit from it or include the post in commercial publications
without written permission from the Prime Minister of Hutt Province; other
copyright laws for specific posts apply wherever noted or not noted, either
deliberately, negligently, or otherwise; posts are subject to change without
notice; posts are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to
actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental;
hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or
spindle; do not pass go; do not collect $200; your mileage may vary; no
substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; the post is void where
prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; the post is provided "as is"
without any warranties expressed or implied; user assumes full liabilities;
not liable for damages due to use or misuse; an equal opportunity abuse
employer; no shoes, no shirt; quantities are limited while supplies last; if
defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself but return to an
authorised post service centre; caveat emptor; read at your own risk;
parental advisory - explicit words; text may contain material some readers
may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised; not suitable for
children; not suitable for adults; not for human consumption; keep away from
sunlight, pets and small children; limit one-per-family; no money down; no
purchase necessary; to approved purchasers only; facsimiles are acceptable
in South Australia; you need not be present to read this post; some assembly
required; batteries not included; action figures sold separately; no
preservatives added; tools not included; safety goggles may be required
during use; sealed for your protection, do not use if the safety seal is
broken; call before you dig; for external use only; if a rash, redness,
irritation or swelling develops, discontinue use; use only with proper
ventilation; avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool, dry place; keep
away from open flames, naked flames and old flames; avoid inhaling fumes;
avoid contact with mucous membranes; do not puncture, incinerate, or store
above 60 degrees Centigrade; do not place near flammable or magnetic source;
smoking the post may be hazardous to your health; the best safeguard, second
only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; text used on the post is
made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; no animals were
used to test the hilarity of this post other than Synapse Syndrome; no salt,
MSG, artificial colour or flavour added; may contain traces of replies to
peanuts; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult
your humourologist; post is ribbed for your pleasure; slippery when wet;
must be 18 to read; possible penalties for early withdrawal; post offer
valid only in participating newsgroups; slightly higher in South Australia;
allow four to six weeks for delivery; damage from hurricane, lightning,
tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, flood, orgasm, misuse,
self-abuse, neglect, unauthorised repair, damage from improper installation,
broken antenna, marred cabinet, incorrect line voltage, missing or altered
serial numbers, sonic boom vibrations, electromagnetic radiation from
nuclear blasts or other Acts of God are not covered; incidents owing to
aeroplane crash, ship sinking, motor vehicle accidents, leaky roof, broken
glass, falling rocks, mud
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default buy AR15 + Computer transfers

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

What's the best way to xfer all my proggies and data from the XP box
into the Windows Vista Business box? I haven't done this in a long
while.

I'd make a crossover network cable and connect them directly
together. "Share" the XP C:\ drive and Bob's your uncle.

--Winston

--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 10, 9:11*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 04:44:22 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 04:11:38 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:09:41 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

Buerste wrote:
Late-model stainless LNIB at $600 or less.

They sell new for $669 at the last few gunshows here in ft Worth.

Sigh..and all the good toys are illegal here in California.

Do you think Pelosi, Boxer, or Feinstein will be reelected next year?
As always, people everywhere hope not.

No idea. But I expect all Leftists to be dead in less than 3 yrs.

Shrug.

Sooner, if the Senate passes Nobamacare, eh? *Incoming!

Gunner, jonesing badly for another STG-58

Nice li'l plinker! *Got a spare grand I can borrow?

Nope..and they are going for $625 at the moment.

The price at DSARMS.com was $1150.

I got my Acer delivered from Walmart today. *When I ws taking the
mini-tower out of the foam wrap, I heard a clink, clunk, rattlerattle.
Popped the side case off and found a loose motherboard. 2 screws
loose, 1 tight, and TWO FELL OUT. *Whew, I'm sure glad I didn't just
turn it on and watch the magic smoke disappear.

What's the best way to xfer all my proggies and data from the XP box
into the Windows Vista Business box? *I haven't done this in a long
while.

There's a utility to do this, MS supplies. To go along with, assuming
you don't have a home LAN or the like, various manufacturers supply a
USB interconnect, $20 was what I paid from Micro Center. I used the
utility at work to go from XP to Vista, it more or less worked for
data, I still had to reinstall programs. The days of just copying
program files over are GONE. I think MS calls it something like the
File and Settings Transfer Wizard or some such. Haven't used it for a
year or better, don't remember the details.

I was forced into Vista at work, I hate it. A lot has to do with the
way the LAN honchos have stuff locked down, but things that used to be
fairly obvious to change are now buried, sometimes beyond retrieval.
Only benefits I can see are for remote management of large numbers of
machines, not home use.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:47:23 -0800 (PST), the infamous
scrawled the following:

Buerste wrote:
[...]

After digging some more, I believe it's called Easy Transfer.

I was forced into Vista at work, I hate it. A lot has to do with the
way the LAN honchos have stuff locked down, but things that used to be
fairly obvious to change are now buried, sometimes beyond retrieval.
Only benefits I can see are for remote management of large numbers of
machines, not home use.

I have a guaranteed update to Win 7 Pro with this new box, so I'm
going to wait to xfer the stuff over after doing a wipe of Vista and
clean install of W7Pro, probably with a 16gb thumb drive and Easy
Transfer.

--
You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of
OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:33:38 -0800, Winston wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

What's the best way to xfer all my proggies and data from the XP box
into the Windows Vista Business box? I haven't done this in a long
while.

I'd make a crossover network cable and connect them directly
together. "Share" the XP C:\ drive and Bob's your uncle.

--Winston

Pull the disk out of the XP box and plug it into the Vista box.

Better still, boot the Vista box off the XP disk and trash the Vista disk :-|

Mark Rand (Yes, I do work in the IT department of a global company)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:33:38 -0800, Winston wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

What's the best way to xfer all my proggies and data from the XP box
into the Windows Vista Business box? I haven't done this in a long
while.

I'd make a crossover network cable and connect them directly
together. "Share" the XP C:\ drive and Bob's your uncle.

--Winston

Pull the disk out of the XP box and plug it into the Vista box.

Better still, boot the Vista box off the XP disk and trash the Vista disk :-|

Heh! Yup.

Mark Rand (Yes, I do work in the IT department of a global company)
RTFM

Ain't no guarantee that Larry's new machine has any PATA
ports. Prolly SATA based. Maybe buy one of those PATA / USB converter
cables, if he really doesn't want to network the two machines together.

--Winston

--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:43:16 +0000, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:33:38 -0800, Winston wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

What's the best way to xfer all my proggies and data from the XP box
into the Windows Vista Business box? I haven't done this in a long
while.

I'd make a crossover network cable and connect them directly
together. "Share" the XP C:\ drive and Bob's your uncle.

--Winston

Pull the disk out of the XP box and plug it into the Vista box.

Better still, boot the Vista box off the XP disk and trash the Vista disk :-|

Nah, I can do a clean format and install of a real operating system.
Why waste a perfectly good hard drive? I understand that upgrading
from Vista leaves tons of nasty DLLs and other crap on the drive.

Mark Rand (Yes, I do work in the IT department of a global company)
RTFM

Everyone I've talked to about Vista hates it. Techs despise it,
saying Win7 is the debugged version of it. I'll be doing a clean
install of Win7Pro shortly (once I get the "free" guaranteed upgrade
mailed to me on my nickel), then using Easy Transfer and a 16/32/64GB
thumb drive to swap old goodies to the new box.

Thanks, guys.

--
You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of
OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be
the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:07:11 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Mark Rand wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:33:38 -0800, Winston wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

What's the best way to xfer all my proggies and data from the XP box
into the Windows Vista Business box? I haven't done this in a long
while.
I'd make a crossover network cable and connect them directly
together. "Share" the XP C:\ drive and Bob's your uncle.

--Winston

Pull the disk out of the XP box and plug it into the Vista box.

Better still, boot the Vista box off the XP disk and trash the Vista disk :-|

Heh! Yup.

Mark Rand (Yes, I do work in the IT department of a global company)
RTFM

Ain't no guarantee that Larry's new machine has any PATA
ports. Prolly SATA based. Maybe buy one of those PATA / USB converter
cables, if he really doesn't want to network the two machines together.

It's an Acer Veriton in the small box, so it doesn't even have room
for an extra hard drive. It's whisper quiet, though, and 2.5GHz with
a couple gigs of mem and 7,200rpm drive, so it should be fast.

--
You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of
OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be
the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:43:16 +0000, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

(...)

Nah, I can do a clean format and install of a real operating system.

I don't know if Ubuntu Linux supports SATA drives yet.
You may have to install XP.

Why waste a perfectly good hard drive? I understand that upgrading
from Vista leaves tons of nasty DLLs and other crap on the drive.

I overwrote a Vista notebook computer with XP.
Only thing missing was a sound driver; I was able to download and
install that afterwards. Worked great!

Mark Rand (Yes, I do work in the IT department of a global company)
RTFM

Everyone I've talked to about Vista hates it. Techs despise it,
saying Win7 is the debugged version of it. I'll be doing a clean
install of Win7Pro shortly (once I get the "free" guaranteed upgrade
mailed to me on my nickel), then using Easy Transfer and a 16/32/64GB
thumb drive to swap old goodies to the new box.

Roger that.

--Winston

--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:22:56 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:43:16 +0000, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

(...)

Nah, I can do a clean format and install of a real operating system.

I don't know if Ubuntu Linux supports SATA drives yet.
You may have to install XP.

The old box had XP on it. The new box gets Win7Pro, TYVM. I may put
another mama in the old one and put up with the hiss from the old
monitor just long enough to load Ubuntu on the old one. Speed wouldn't
matter so I could get a used mama cheap. But I won't do that for my
main comp.

Why waste a perfectly good hard drive? I understand that upgrading
from Vista leaves tons of nasty DLLs and other crap on the drive.

I overwrote a Vista notebook computer with XP.
Only thing missing was a sound driver; I was able to download and
install that afterwards. Worked great!

I avoided several intermediate versions of DOS, Win 4.0 (and other .0s
from then on, Win ME, Win NT, and (almost) Vista. I loved Win 3.1,
2000, and XP so far.

But M$ software is all useless for working metal. Too limp.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.