Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default buy AR15 + Computer transfers

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:22:56 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:43:16 +0000, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

(...)

Nah, I can do a clean format and install of a real operating system.

I don't know if Ubuntu Linux supports SATA drives yet.
You may have to install XP.

The old box had XP on it. The new box gets Win7Pro, TYVM. I may put
another mama in the old one and put up with the hiss from the old
monitor just long enough to load Ubuntu on the old one. Speed wouldn't
matter so I could get a used mama cheap. But I won't do that for my
main comp.

Why waste a perfectly good hard drive? I understand that upgrading
from Vista leaves tons of nasty DLLs and other crap on the drive.

I overwrote a Vista notebook computer with XP.
Only thing missing was a sound driver; I was able to download and
install that afterwards. Worked great!

I avoided several intermediate versions of DOS, Win 4.0 (and other .0s
from then on, Win ME, Win NT, and (almost) Vista. I loved Win 3.1,
2000, and XP so far.

But M$ software is all useless for working metal. Too limp.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.