Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need ideas for feeding a trommel sifter

Hi,

Here's a motorized compost trommel sifter I built:

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

It works great, but after loading two yards through it with a shovel,
I looked at my tractor with a FEL, and thought that there must be an
easier way!

But I'm stuck. How to create a system that is loaded by the FEL to
feed the sifter? Conveyor belt, corkscrew in a trough, modified small
grain silo? I'm a hobby welder with no industrial experience, and I
don't know where to look for ideas.

I've got a pvc pipe, 6 feet long, 18 inches in diameter, 1/2 inch
walls, that I could rip to create a trough. I even thought of
modifying a post hole auger, but it's not long enough. Any ideas
feasible for a DIYer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 15, 5:26*am, wrote:
Hi,

Here's a motorized compost trommel sifter I built:

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

It works great, but after loading two yards through it with a shovel,
I looked at my tractor with a FEL, and thought that there must be an
easier way!

Thanks,
Steve

I would use the front end loader to get the material up high and into
a bin. Then an auger in the bottom of the bin to push the material
out of the bin and into a chute that empties into the trommel. If the
bin has three sloping sides, the auger would not have to be very
long. Alternate would be air driven ram with the piston pvc pipe for
the cylinder.

If I remember correctly, there was something about making augers in
sci.engr.joining.welding a good while back. Ernie was probably the
one who posted how to make them. Or part of a grain auger.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:26:02 -0700, the infamous
scrawled the following:

Hi,

Here's a motorized compost trommel sifter I built:

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

It works great, but after loading two yards through it with a shovel,
I looked at my tractor with a FEL, and thought that there must be an
easier way!

Hey, that's a great idea. Howcomewhyfor you no paint de frame, mon?
A quick wirebrushing, cleanup with lacquer thinner, and spray
bomb away. Take ya half an hour.

But I'm stuck. How to create a system that is loaded by the FEL to
feed the sifter? Conveyor belt, corkscrew in a trough, modified small
grain silo? I'm a hobby welder with no industrial experience, and I
don't know where to look for ideas.

I've got a pvc pipe, 6 feet long, 18 inches in diameter, 1/2 inch
walls, that I could rip to create a trough. I even thought of
modifying a post hole auger, but it's not long enough. Any ideas
feasible for a DIYer would be appreciated.

Perfect.

Create a stand with box for a FEL bucket's worth of soil, a foot or
18" higher than the base of the sifter barrel, somewhere between waist
and chest high.

Make the trough and connect it to the stand so it feeds the barrel.

Use a regular garden hoe to scrape the dirt onto the trough.

Alternatively, build a PTO and create a worm to auger the soil into
the trough slowly but automatically.

Submit that to Farm Show magazine, too, if you like. It's worth
sharing, Steve. Kudos.

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sep 15, 5:26 am, wrote:
Hi,

Here's a motorized compost trommel sifter I built:

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

It works great, but after loading two yards through it with a shovel,
I looked at my tractor with a FEL, and thought that there must be an
easier way!

Thanks,
Steve

Trommel sifters we used for gold mining had a feeder end and an output end.
On the feeder end was a cone shaped feed, then a 90 done with several bends
that fed into the center of one end. The trommel was made to tilt so that
when the trommel was filled with oversize, it was tilted, and the oversize
material came out the other end. It operated at a slight tilt so as to take
materials from the feeder end to the discharge end. Most times, at the
right angle, it was almost automatic, as it would feed on one end, and when
full enough, the rocks would tumble out the other end, fines going through
the mesh.

HTH

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sep 15, 5:26 am, wrote:
[...]

huh! if i may be so bold as to offer my two cents. i think if it were me
i'd build a 5 foot wide "U" shaped trough on the infeed side, dump the
material into the trough with the loader and push it in bit by bit with a
hoe (or some other custom made implement). probably with lip of the trough
protruding two or three inches inside the trommel, probably with a close fit
so the material won't dribble out between the trough and the drum. maybe
with a (short, 6 inches?) sheet metal extension on the infeed side of the
trommel drum? as you're suggesting the lifting and loading of the material
is probably the
hard part. i'd imagine simply only just removing the lifting and loading by
use of the front end loader would substantially reduce the effort. oh, and
of course put the trough on an incline so the material more or less kinda
wants to go into the trommel anyhow.
i'd think it would be very difficult to completely automate the feed on such
a small scale. it would seem to me it would need some sort of feedback
mechanism, too much material, too little material, etc. but then i'm not a
trommel designer/builder.
btw, very nice impressive trommel. good luck with it in any event.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:26:02 -0700, stevethompson wrote:

Hi,

Here's a motorized compost trommel sifter I built:

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

It works great, but after loading two yards through it with a shovel, I
looked at my tractor with a FEL, and thought that there must be an
easier way!

But I'm stuck. How to create a system that is loaded by the FEL to feed
the sifter? Conveyor belt, corkscrew in a trough, modified small grain
silo? I'm a hobby welder with no industrial experience, and I don't
know where to look for ideas.

I've got a pvc pipe, 6 feet long, 18 inches in diameter, 1/2 inch walls,
that I could rip to create a trough. I even thought of modifying a post
hole auger, but it's not long enough. Any ideas feasible for a DIYer
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

My trommel! You designed it for me! Thanks, man!

To start, I'd make a bin large enough to hit with your front-end loader,
with a trough that extends into the end of the trommel. Dump compost
into the bin and push it through the trough by hand -- you won't be
lifting it, so it won't be nearly as much work as shoveling.

When you get tired of that, someone suggested an auger, which is probably
an excellent second step.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:28:12 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

O.P. here

Building a trough to hand push the compost would be too easy. This is
my first motorized project, and I'm on a motorized roll right now!

In all the homebuilt sifters I've seen pictures of, everybody built
the rectangular frame, and tilted the trommel inside the frame.
It was pretty easy to set the trommel in square and then tilt the
frame. I didn't know what slope to use, so I made it adjustable, 0 to
6 inches. If I were to make another, it would be fixed at 2 inches.

It killed me to have to buy new bicycle rims. I looked for weeks and
just couldn't find any 26" wheels. When I started looking online for
rims, I learned that since the late 80's, most rims are alloys. I
found steel rims, with spokes and hubs for $15 each, plus shipping.

I've been researching augers, primarily grain type, trying to get some
ideas. Too expensive to buy for this project, but I'll be watching
Craigs list.

Tthere's an organic compost and vermiculture farm not too far away. I
stopped to look at their setup. They have two commercial 15 foot
trommels supported 7 feet off the ground, so their FEL can pick up the
sifted material. To feed it, they built a 10 foot square platform on
the input side. The FEL puts a couple loads on the platform, and then
they SHOVEL IT IN BY HAND! Hundreds and hundreds of yards per year!

And I don't want to shovel 10-12 yards per year; I think I'm getting
lazy in my old age!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi,

Here's a motorized compost trommel sifter I built:

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

It works great, but after loading two yards through it with a shovel,
I looked at my tractor with a FEL, and thought that there must be an
easier way!

snip

You might try looking at "chopper wagons". They use a manure
style chain/bar conveyor in the main bed and a
smaller/narrower version right in front. The front part,
maybe even just the drop-chute might work for you. If
nothing else maybe give you some ideas. Here is a picture or
two of chopper wagons:

http://sheboygan.craigslist.org/grd/1350784633.html

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/grd/1352442913.html

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You could build a device called a Texas Feeder. It consists of a hopper of
a size appropriate for your loader. At the bottom is a flat plate that
slides toward the trommel and then away. It is driven by a motor driving a
crank with a rod hooked to the end of the flat plate away from the trommel.
As the plate moves toward the trommel it carries the material out of an
opening in the end of the hopper toward the trommel. At the same time the
material in the hopper fills the space on the end of the plate away from the
trommel. As the plate moves away from the trommel, the material cannot be
drawn back into the hopper because of the weight of the material in the
hopper so it falls off the end of the hopper into the trommel. The feed
rate can be controlled by the size of the opening in the hopper, possibly by
a sliding gate, or by the speed of the motor.
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:01:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:34:57 -0700, the infamous
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:26:02 -0700, stevethompson wrote:

Our Josephine County composting facility (Jo-Gro) has a powered
shredder which takes 3-yard FEL bucketfuls, shreds them, and conveyors
the finer materials out for FEL distribution. It's a diesel monster
10x15x10' high. I haven't seen a trammel there, but I'll be there
today and will ask for a tour if it's slow.

An overfull truckload costs me $11, so it's not worth it for me to
build one of your trammel goodies, but it looks like that was fun to
design and build. Questions: Do the swivel casters ever go wonky on
you? Why swivel vs fixed?

And I don't want to shovel 10-12 yards per year; I think I'm getting
lazy in my old age!

I grok that in its entirety.

Then you should have designed the unit to work with the FEL in the
first place, instead of the wooden bin underneath. Dump a bucketful
into the top, reposition the FEL bucket under it, then auger it into
the trommel to catch it in the FEL. Dump where needed.

I had to buy the rims, pulleys, belts, and pillow blocks.
Everything else came out of the "I might need this someday box". I
lucked out that the casters were swivels. I happened to check the
trueness of one wheel when they arrived; it was very good. After
cutting off the spokes, and then welding on them, one of them ended up
with more than a half inch of wobble. The swivel casters handle the
wobble nicely. It was the fixed idlers on top that I had to play
with. I ended up grinding them down both in width and diameter so
they wouldn't drag on the out of round areas of the rim.

All right, so it didn't take you long to figure out the one weakness
of my sifter that I'm not happy with, and that is how to handle the
sifted product. I posted 4 more pix of the thing in action.

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

I picked the input height by swinging a shovel at a level that would
be comfortable all day long (riiiiight, maybe 20 years ago!). So
there wasn't much height available for the output box. And the
clearances between box and sifter frame are tight. And if the ground
isn't level, I can't slide the box in with the tractor, and etc.,
etc., etc.! The only good part is I can pick up the sifter with the
forks, with or without the box in place.

So I guess after I figure out a new input system, I'll have to figure
out a better output system. I think I'm going to try an auger input.
Other than using a treadmill, I don't think I could build an
inexpensive conveyor belt. HF has a 6 inch post hole auger for $50.
It even looks cheap in the picture! But would probably be perfect for
my needs.

I might as well say it before somebody else does: why the hell aren't
there grab hooks on the bucket? Um, they've been on my to-do list for
I forget how many years!

Nice to know? The forks are all 2x6 channel from an old trailer
frame. They just hang from the top of the bucket where it rolls back.
They've never fall off. Simple.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I set the height of my **** shaker (eccentric operated flat screen)
supports (saw horses) such that I can park my one wheel truck
(wheelbarrow) under it to receive the screened output.

So I guess after I figure out a new input system, I'll have to figure
out a better output system. I think I'm going to try an auger input.
Other than using a treadmill, I don't think I could build an
inexpensive conveyor belt. HF has a 6 inch post hole auger for $50.
It even looks cheap in the picture! But would probably be perfect for
my needs.

With this you need the 4' length of 6" ID pipe from behind my shed.It
was about all I wanted to load into the car from alongside the freeway
a number of years back and haven't used yet.

I might as well say it before somebody else does: why the hell aren't
there grab hooks on the bucket? Um, they've been on my to-do list for
I forget how many years!

Nice to know? The forks are all 2x6 channel from an old trailer
frame. They just hang from the top of the bucket where it rolls back.
They've never fall off. Simple.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:00:29 -0700, the infamous
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

Ayup. It's time to go aloft!

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

I picked the input height by swinging a shovel at a level that would
be comfortable all day long (riiiiight, maybe 20 years ago!). So

Yeah, back when we had energy to spare all day long. Oh, to be that
young again... wistful sigh

there wasn't much height available for the output box. And the
clearances between box and sifter frame are tight. And if the ground
isn't level, I can't slide the box in with the tractor, and etc.,
etc., etc.! The only good part is I can pick up the sifter with the
forks, with or without the box in place.

Forks?!? Oh, I thought that was some kluge you had for moving the box
around.

So I guess after I figure out a new input system, I'll have to figure
out a better output system. I think I'm going to try an auger input.
Other than using a treadmill, I don't think I could build an
inexpensive conveyor belt.

A conveyor would drop more than it would move. Forget it, unless you
use the auger to feed the conveyor, an added and redundant step.

HF has a 6 inch post hole auger for $50.
It even looks cheap in the picture! But would probably be perfect for
my needs.

Perfectamento! That's a bit large, so drive it more slowly. Build
the top box with angled sides, sloping onto the top of the cutaway
pipe the auger fits into, and it's self-priming/feeding.

I might as well say it before somebody else does: why the hell aren't
there grab hooks on the bucket? Um, they've been on my to-do list for
I forget how many years!

Who cares? It's going bye-bye anyway. Oh, I mean the sifter box,
not the FEL bucket. Grab hooks would have been a 20 minute project
which would have saved a couple hours the first time you used them.
How on Earth could you have overlooked them or procrastinated on so
needy a project, sir? tsk, tsk, tsk

Nice to know? The forks are all 2x6 channel from an old trailer
frame. They just hang from the top of the bucket where it rolls back.
They've never fall off. Simple.

Forks? What forks?

Oh, I stopped in JoGro today and what I thought was a shredder was
actually called a Power Trommel! Their basket was 10' long and about
6' in diameter. I think it has a shredder built in under the feeder
opening, though. You ought to hear that muthuh running!

So, what's the story on the missing paint job?

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:43:02 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Oh man, this is a tough crowd-welding's not enough, I gotta prove I
know how to use a rattle can?!

Here's a roller I made, painted in not one, but TWO colors.

Here's my driveway gate in basic black. I thought the plastic bags on
top of the posts for nearly two years, would be enough to have you
shakin' your head!

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

As for painting the sifter, I figured it would spend most of it's time
in the storage shed, why bother. Apparently, I better reconsider!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-09-18, wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:43:02 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[ ... ]

So, what's the story on the missing paint job?

Oh man, this is a tough crowd-welding's not enough, I gotta prove I
know how to use a rattle can?!

Here's a roller I made, painted in not one, but TWO colors.

Here's my driveway gate in basic black. I thought the plastic bags on
top of the posts for nearly two years, would be enough to have you
shakin' your head!

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

Hmm ...

"This page requires JavaScript to be enabled. _Help_"

Why should a private page require JavaScript to the extent that it
refuses to show anything useful if you have it turned off (as I normally
do)?

I guess that I won't see your page. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:45:07 -0700, the infamous
scrawled the following:

wrote:

So, what's the story on the missing paint job?

Oh man, this is a tough crowd-welding's not enough, I gotta prove I
know how to use a rattle can?!

Damn straight ya do.

Here's a roller I made, painted in not one, but TWO colors.

Here's my driveway gate in basic black. I thought the plastic bags on
top of the posts for nearly two years, would be enough to have you
shakin' your head!

Bogus gate. What are the plastic bags, the protective sleeves the
lights came in, or what? Oy, vay!

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

As for painting the sifter, I figured it would spend most of it's time
in the storage shed, why bother. Apparently, I better reconsider!

Rightio!

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 18, 6:45*pm, wrote:

*I thought the plastic bags on
top of the posts for nearly two years, would be enough to have you
shakin' your head!

I intend to pick up some torch down roofing to put on the tops of the
garden fence posts.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Sep 2009 00:13:46 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2009-09-18, wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:43:02 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[ ... ]

So, what's the story on the missing paint job?

Oh man, this is a tough crowd-welding's not enough, I gotta prove I
know how to use a rattle can?!

Here's a roller I made, painted in not one, but TWO colors.

Here's my driveway gate in basic black. I thought the plastic bags on
top of the posts for nearly two years, would be enough to have you
shakin' your head!

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

Hmm ...

"This page requires JavaScript to be enabled. _Help_"

Why should a private page require JavaScript to the extent that it
refuses to show anything useful if you have it turned off (as I normally
do)?

I guess that I won't see your page. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I agree with you, it's time to find another site to post pictures, as
other forum websites won't accept links with executables. How does
that song go, "Procrastination"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So, what's the story on the missing paint job?

Oh man, this is a tough crowd-welding's not enough, I gotta prove I
know how to use a rattle can?!

Damn straight ya do.

Here's a roller I made, painted in not one, but TWO colors.

Here's my driveway gate in basic black. I thought the plastic bags on
top of the posts for nearly two years, would be enough to have you
shakin' your head!

Bogus gate. What are the plastic bags, the protective sleeves the
lights came in, or what? Oy, vay!

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

As for painting the sifter, I figured it would spend most of it's time
in the storage shed, why bother. Apparently, I better reconsider!

Rightio!

Protective plastic sleeves, maybe. Bogus gate my ass! I spent a lot
of time trying to figure out a design. I finally found the right
design, watching a video of U.S. soldiers doing a house to house
search in Baghdad; there was a railing outside a house that struck my
fancy.

Consider that my contribution to international diplomacy; with that,
I'm outta here before Gummer shows up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:52:31 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 18, 6:45*pm, wrote:

*I thought the plastic bags on
top of the posts for nearly two years, would be enough to have you
shakin' your head!

I intend to pick up some torch down roofing to put on the tops of the
garden fence posts.

Dan

I like your idea. I have some scraps; they would blend in a lot better
than the plastic bags. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My bad. We were having some fun, metal related banter, and I blew it
by injecting politics. I hit the enter button prematurely; please
disregard any political content in my above post; this is not the
place. Besides, it's Gunner.... Freudian slip of my typing fingers?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Sep 2009 00:13:46 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

On 2009-09-18, wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:43:02 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[ ... ]

So, what's the story on the missing paint job?

Oh man, this is a tough crowd-welding's not enough, I gotta prove I
know how to use a rattle can?!

Here's a roller I made, painted in not one, but TWO colors.

Here's my driveway gate in basic black. I thought the plastic bags on
top of the posts for nearly two years, would be enough to have you
shakin' your head!

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

Hmm ...

"This page requires JavaScript to be enabled. _Help_"

Why should a private page require JavaScript to the extent that it
refuses to show anything useful if you have it turned off (as I normally
do)?

I guess that I won't see your page. :-)

Copy-protected images. They sell all the pics on every site.

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
--Mark Russell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:17:28 -0700, the infamous
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

Shoot, I was _hoping_ you wouldn't say that. Where's the organic
feel, man? Put at least ONE curve in the poor thing, eh?

Consider that my contribution to international diplomacy; with that,
I'm outta here before Gummer shows up.

What was it, _60s_ Iraq? dg&r

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
--Mark Russell

Building a compost sifter Daniel Prince Home Repair 8 June 23rd 09 04:36 PM
Soil sifter Bob Minchin[_2_] UK diy 14 June 10th 08 10:58 PM
Bar feeding? Cliff Metalworking 5 January 28th 06 06:51 PM
Feeding tv to 7 rooms ? Jeff UK diy 10 September 26th 05 03:12 PM
Care and feeding of a RAS? Toller Woodworking 6 September 18th 05 06:05 PM