Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul G. Shultz Paul G. Shultz is offline

Default need ideas for feeding a trommel sifter

You could build a device called a Texas Feeder. It consists of a hopper of
a size appropriate for your loader. At the bottom is a flat plate that
slides toward the trommel and then away. It is driven by a motor driving a
crank with a rod hooked to the end of the flat plate away from the trommel.
As the plate moves toward the trommel it carries the material out of an
opening in the end of the hopper toward the trommel. At the same time the
material in the hopper fills the space on the end of the plate away from the
trommel. As the plate moves away from the trommel, the material cannot be
drawn back into the hopper because of the weight of the material in the
hopper so it falls off the end of the hopper into the trommel. The feed
rate can be controlled by the size of the opening in the hopper, possibly by
a sliding gate, or by the speed of the motor.
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:26:02 -0700,
wrote:

Hi,

Here's a motorized compost trommel sifter I built:

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

It works great, but after loading two yards through it with a shovel,
I looked at my tractor with a FEL, and thought that there must be an
easier way!

snip

You might try looking at "chopper wagons". They use a manure
style chain/bar conveyor in the main bed and a
smaller/narrower version right in front. The front part,
maybe even just the drop-chute might work for you. If
nothing else maybe give you some ideas. Here is a picture or
two of chopper wagons:

http://sheboygan.craigslist.org/grd/1350784633.html

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/grd/1352442913.html

--