Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default need ideas for feeding a trommel sifter

wrote in message
On Sep 15, 5:26 am, wrote:
Hi,

Here's a motorized compost trommel sifter I built:

http://steveandlizthompson.shutterfly.com/

It works great, but after loading two yards through it with a shovel,
I looked at my tractor with a FEL, and thought that there must be an
easier way!

Thanks,
Steve

Trommel sifters we used for gold mining had a feeder end and an output end.
On the feeder end was a cone shaped feed, then a 90 done with several bends
that fed into the center of one end. The trommel was made to tilt so that
when the trommel was filled with oversize, it was tilted, and the oversize
material came out the other end. It operated at a slight tilt so as to take
materials from the feeder end to the discharge end. Most times, at the
right angle, it was almost automatic, as it would feed on one end, and when
full enough, the rocks would tumble out the other end, fines going through
the mesh.

HTH

Steve