Toller

Default Care and feeding of a RAS?

I bought a RAS (craftsman 10") at an auction today, despite the fact that I
have no way to get it home and no place to put it when I do. Heck, for
$70... I don't know anything about them, but someone told me the risers
(whatever they are) were worth that much.

Is is okay to transport it on it's back? If I can do that it will fit in my
wife's minivan. Otherwise I will have to take it apart, which I suppose
won't be that hard, but leaving it in one piece would be better.

Is it okay to store it in an unheated dirt floor barn (upstate NY) for the
winter? Should I wrap it in plastic, put oil anywhere to prevent rust, or
what?

Hopefully I will have a bigger shop in Spring.
Thanks.

If you don't bash the thing around you can put it on its back. Use a
blanket and/or foam to cushion it during transport.

As long as it is kept dry store it anywhere. It need to be at room temp
60-90 degrees before you run it.

You will probably need to realign it after transporting it. A fairly
simple job that checks column alignment side-side and front-back.

Phisherman

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:25:45 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I bought a RAS (craftsman 10") at an auction today, despite the fact that I
have no way to get it home and no place to put it when I do. Heck, for
$70... I don't know anything about them, but someone told me the risers
(whatever they are) were worth that much.

Is is okay to transport it on it's back? If I can do that it will fit in my
wife's minivan. Otherwise I will have to take it apart, which I suppose
won't be that hard, but leaving it in one piece would be better.

Is it okay to store it in an unheated dirt floor barn (upstate NY) for the
winter? Should I wrap it in plastic, put oil anywhere to prevent rust, or
what?

Hopefully I will have a bigger shop in Spring.
Thanks.

Give it some rust protection. Wipe the entire machine down with an
oily rag and put a small wattage bulb (or "piano heater") under the
machine to keep it warmer than the surrounding area. WD40 can be used
in hard-to-reach areas.

A small safety tip for you, if this is your first RAS. When
crosscutting, the saw wants to jump forward as it bites into the wood.
Don't think of it as a table saw upside-down and just yank the the unit
toward you. You actually have to resist the saw coming forward--take
gingerly bites from the wood, pulling the saw forward but resisting its
desire to 'climb the wood'.

Hope this helps you.

jo4hn

Toller wrote:

I bought a RAS (craftsman 10") at an auction today, despite the fact that I
have no way to get it home and no place to put it when I do. Heck, for
$70... I don't know anything about them, but someone told me the risers
(whatever they are) were worth that much.

Is is okay to transport it on it's back? If I can do that it will fit in my
wife's minivan. Otherwise I will have to take it apart, which I suppose
won't be that hard, but leaving it in one piece would be better.

Is it okay to store it in an unheated dirt floor barn (upstate NY) for the
winter? Should I wrap it in plastic, put oil anywhere to prevent rust, or
what?

Hopefully I will have a bigger shop in Spring.
Thanks.

RTFM. Get one from Sears. I have one from the 60s that I will give
you. Or ping Rumpty. Or go to the old tools guys for one. Follow it.
Good advice all around.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Randal

Toller wrote:

Is it okay to store it in an unheated dirt floor barn (upstate NY) for the
winter?

NOT ON THE FLOOR! I am hoping I read this wrong and you were going to put
if on a shelf. If you put it directly on the floor, it will attact the
moisture and start rusting before you ever got to it. The Craftsman's
aren't as good as the old Dewalts, I have one of those, and my B-I-l has
the Craftsman. There was a guy posting one on ebay recently, he left it
outside, in the rain and was trying to sell it for parts. I told him to
contact www.radialarmsawrecall.com (he gave the model # and it had no
available parts), he got more from them then he would have off of ebay, in
that condition. Do check yours for the recall, as the earlier Craftsman
were better (less cheaply constructed) then the latter.
PDQ

"Randal" wrote in message =
| Toller wrote:
|=20
| Is it okay to store it in an unheated dirt floor barn (upstate NY) =
for the
| winter?
| NOT ON THE FLOOR! I am hoping I read this wrong and you were going to =
put
| if on a shelf. If you put it directly on the floor, it will attact =
the
| moisture and start rusting before you ever got to it. The Craftsman's
| aren't as good as the old Dewalts, I have one of those, and my B-I-l =
has
| the Craftsman. There was a guy posting one on ebay recently, he left =
it
| outside, in the rain and was trying to sell it for parts. I told him =
| contact www.radialarmsawrecall.com (he gave the model # and it had no
| available parts), he got more from them then he would have off of =
ebay, in
| that condition. Do check yours for the recall, as the earlier =
Craftsman
| were better (less cheaply constructed) then the latter.

Above all else,=20

A RAS is a hungry beast with BIG TEETH.

DO NOT FEED the RAS any DNA samples to which it might take a liking.

--=20
PDQ

The Popes casket. bob Woodworking 115 April 14th 05 12:57 PM
air cleaner Betsy Home Repair 61 November 23rd 04 04:15 PM