Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Safety glasses w bifocals

Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message
Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

RWL

I got a set of safety glasses that go over the glasses and are like a 2nd
pair of glasses. Ear pieces etc. I got them at the welding supply shop,
but I think Home Depot carries the same brand. Just try them on first as I
had one pair that seemed to have waves in the view.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 22:16:48 -0500, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

RWL

Wally World has metal frames (that don't look totally dorky) with
the proper lenses and side shields in the Optical department.

Not as cheap as Zenni, but quite reasonable by "Made in USA of
decent materials" standards.

I got significant change back from the C-Note, but these were also
single vision Polycarb and not Transitions. (Though I was tempted.)
If you order them as bifocals, your change will probably evapoprate.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET writes:

Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Wal-Mart?

On-line, safetyglassesusa.com

But... anything I've wanted to do in the shop I've wanted to be
looking directly at so I've wanted full-lens readers. Only way I've
found those has been by prescription, which is pricy.

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

Thanks for posting that! I'd heard of those before, but hadn't found
a source. I've got a hunch that those will be exactly what I want
(both in the shop and for shooting) and far cheaper than
prescription glasses. For $20, I'm ordering a pair tonight to try
them out.

So now I'll send a question back: I've got a pair of reading glasses
with lenses that are 1/2 inch high (I just measured) and have a metal
tube carrying case, which I bought at Sears. They're obviously
unuseable in the shop, and not as nice as larger lenses in my
office -- but I can put 'em in my pocket and have them available at
meetings. Sears has stopped selling non-prescription readers, and I
haven't found another source. Anybody know of some place I can find
these?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

RWL

I went the other way--bought bifocals from Zenni and added some clip-on
side shields from http://www.tasco-safety.com/safety-glasses.html.
Works fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

RWL

They work OK, and in fact, a friend who ordered bifocals from
Zenni was provided single vision with stickies on them. Poor.

Just make sure there's no grit between the lens and the eyeglass,
and do *not* wash them with alcohol.

Like human lenses, they tend to discolor and harden over a period
of years.

Priced at about 12.00 on ebay.

I found them useful when I had my cataracts done (at separate times).
My implant was different from the original, so was able to make use
of 2 sets, one lens from each, having different powers. Got me over
the hump until my eyes settled down and I could order the real thing.
/mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I bought enough welding-store bifocal safety glasses to hang one at
each machine. For me at least normal bifocals are good for looking
down at the desk while sitting but not so good for machining while
standing. For that I want the magnifier on top when I lean forward. An
Optivisor works pretty well although I tend to bang it into the head
of the mill. I use it on the lathe with collets but not a chuck.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

RWL

I have used “paste ons” for years; they work and no problems.

First in diving masks. Dive shops have them (like everything else
there, they are a little more expensive). They stick to the inside of
the diving mask and have never come loose.

Walgreens Drug Stores have them for about $10. I have put them on
dollar store glasses and sun glasses without problem.

Regards,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm using the soft, slide on version of the side shields from McMaster.
Z87 rated, that is a must. Work great, I keep a pair in my briefcase for
when I'm in someone else's shop.

jrlandau wrote:
GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

RWL

I went the other way--bought bifocals from Zenni and added some clip-on
side shields from http://www.tasco-safety.com/safety-glasses.html. Works
fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PTD dot NET wrote:

Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

I have a pair of Crews bifocals, but it looks like they're only making
full lens magnifiers now. I actually prefer a full lens for most
things in the shop, but I use a relatively mild +1.50. Moving around
might be problematic with a stronger lens.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PTD dot NET wrote:

Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

I have a pair of Crews bifocals, but it looks like they're only making
full lens magnifiers now. I actually prefer a full lens for most
things in the shop, but I use a relatively mild +1.50. Moving around
might be problematic with a stronger lens.

I got that wrong, they only make bifocals now and have stopped making
the full lens readers that were previously available.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 21, 7:16*pm, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
wrote:
Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. *I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like thesehttp://tinyurl.com/azkspj

RWL

I got two pair of prescription bifocals at Walmart last Summer. As I
recall the prescription bifocal safety glasses were $34, or so. Side
shields and all.
The other, fancy frames, were a LOT more.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PTD dot NET wrote:

Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

I have a pair of Crews bifocals, but it looks like they're only making
full lens magnifiers now. I actually prefer a full lens for most
things in the shop, but I use a relatively mild +1.50. Moving around
might be problematic with a stronger lens.

I'm not familiar with Crews -- do you have a URL?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PTD dot NET wrote:

Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

I have a pair of Crews bifocals, but it looks like they're only making
full lens magnifiers now. I actually prefer a full lens for most
things in the shop, but I use a relatively mild +1.50. Moving around
might be problematic with a stronger lens.

I got that wrong, they only make bifocals now and have stopped making
the full lens readers that were previously available.

Drat. Ignore my question of 30 seconds ago
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. ...

They have windscreen goggles with side shields, e.g.:
http://zennioptical.com/cart/product...&cat=27&page=1

Not "safety glasses" as far guaranteed impact resistance, but good for
flying chips, I'd say.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message
Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

Lab Safety Supply
Janesville WI
800-356-0783
LLS.com

Roger

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:18:04 -0800, "Roger Paskell"
wrote:

Lab Safety Supply
Janesville WI
800-356-0783
LLS.com

Y'know. I probably get that catalog. I don't do any purchasing any
more so I usually pitch them without looking too closely. I'll have
to take a peek for those the next time it comes.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-22, jrlandau wrote:
GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

RWL

I went the other way--bought bifocals from Zenni and added some clip-on
side shields from http://www.tasco-safety.com/safety-glasses.html.
Works fine.

True safety glasses have to pass a test involving a 1" diameter
steel ball being dropped on them from a specific height. This is to
assure that both the lens and the attachment to the frame can handle the
impact.

I don't think that your glasses from Zenni were made to this
standard, let alone *tested* to this standard.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to
get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. ...

They have windscreen goggles with side shields, e.g.:
http://zennioptical.com/cart/product...&cat=27&page=1

Not "safety glasses" as far guaranteed impact resistance, but good
for flying chips, I'd say.

Bob

The local Wal-Mart has safety glasses with reader lenses in the lower
part of the lens. I think that they are about $8.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET writes:

Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Hasn't anyone cut the bottom halves off the dollar store readers lenses and
fastening them into some plano eye protection?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols writes:

True safety glasses have to pass a test involving a 1" diameter
steel ball being dropped on them from a specific height. This is to
assure that both the lens and the attachment to the frame can handle
the impact.

I don't have much faith in that test.

I have received one eye injury, a corneal laceration, in my working
lifetime. It happened when I leaned over and my safety glasses started
to slip off, and I instinctively pushed them back, and the sharp end of
the temple piece folded in and stabbed me smack in the eye.

However glasses have saved me from injury perhaps twice.

My most recent case was when I got the bright idea of salvaging some
paint out of a spray can with a clogged valve. I thought I'd stick an
awl into the side of the can and squirt the paint into a jar. I looked
like a Dalmation a few milliseconds after that stunt. I keep those
ruined glasses on the shelf as a trophy to my intellect.

So my record is about 2-1 in favor of eye protection. But the ANSI test
is just a test, not a guarantee of performance in the field. They may
or may not save you from your self-imposed hazards.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:33:56 -0600, the infamous Richard J Kinch
scrawled the following:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET writes:

Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Hasn't anyone cut the bottom halves off the dollar store readers lenses and
fastening them into some plano eye protection?

Doesn't anyone wear goggles or face shields over their bifocals?!?
Either is much cheaper.

Hell, you can get a set (a pair of muffs, a face mask, and a pair of
goggles) at HF for $1.99 on sale at times.

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch writes:

So my record is about 2-1 in favor of eye protection. But the ANSI test
is just a test, not a guarantee of performance in the field. They may
or may not save you from your self-imposed hazards.

Of course. But you can have better feelings about glasses that have
passed it than glasses that haven't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 8:45*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Doesn't anyone wear goggles or face shields over their bifocals?!?
Either is much cheaper.

The lower part of my bifocals are good for seeing the ground clearly
but not close-up work. I can read better without them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 22:39:09 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

So now I'll send a question back: I've got a pair of reading glasses
with lenses that are 1/2 inch high (I just measured) and have a metal
tube carrying case, which I bought at Sears. They're obviously
unuseable in the shop, and not as nice as larger lenses in my
office -- but I can put 'em in my pocket and have them available at
meetings. Sears has stopped selling non-prescription readers, and I
haven't found another source. Anybody know of some place I can find
these?

I have seen two versions of these at my local Meijer store.
One comes in a tube as you described and the other one was
similar, compact package, but not a tube. If you want I'll
take a look at them next week and see if I can get an
address and/or website info for you. It would be next
Friday, only go out once a week nowadays ;-)

Meijer is a Midwest chain based in Walker (Grand Rapids),
MI.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So now I'll send a question back: I've got a pair of reading glasses
with lenses that are 1/2 inch high (I just measured) and have a metal
tube carrying case, which I bought at Sears. They're obviously
unuseable in the shop, and not as nice as larger lenses in my
office -- but I can put 'em in my pocket and have them available at
meetings. Sears has stopped selling non-prescription readers, and I
haven't found another source. Anybody know of some place I can find
these?

I have seen two versions of these at my local Meijer store.
One comes in a tube as you described and the other one was
similar, compact package, but not a tube. If you want I'll
take a look at them next week and see if I can get an
address and/or website info for you. It would be next
Friday, only go out once a week nowadays ;-)

I'd appreciate that, thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:21:16 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

I have seen two versions of these at my local Meijer store.
One comes in a tube as you described and the other one was
similar, compact package, but not a tube. If you want I'll
take a look at them next week and see if I can get an
address and/or website info for you. It would be next
Friday, only go out once a week nowadays ;-)

I'd appreciate that, thanks.

I'll put you on my shopping list, so I remember to check

If I lose the thread or you don't acknowledge my reply next
week I'll shoot you an email with the info.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doesn't anyone wear goggles or face shields over their bifocals?!?
Either is much cheaper.

Well, I use the full face shield for grinding, but I really don't like
looking through the haze. NOt something I'd want to wear all day long
in the shop, and I've been skating on thin ice just using cheap
reading glasses as my safety glasses in the shop. Time do do it
right.

RWL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got winged by my safety glasses -
I wear continuous graded glasses in safety polycarbonate
and wear a fit over type over them.

I was up a ladder on a tree - and didn't tie me or the ladder
to the tree - my beloved was helping... rats.

She talks with her hands...

She turned and pointed that one - and the ladder tilted and
down we went. Chainsaw was shoved to the side and down I went
with the ladder. I went between the A frame and the top leg
bashed me in the glasses. Glasses bashed me in the nose.
Now I can wear Indian paint for a reason!

Martin

Richard J Kinch wrote:
DoN. Nichols writes:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

I picked up a set from a clearance bin at Grainger once but haven't tried
them yet. But Grainger's normal price is much better than the site you
referenced. $10.20.

http://tinyurl.com/ano57j

$7.50 a set if you want to buy a 20-pack of assorted strengths.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1AYB5

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message
Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get
safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them
inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply.
Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with
bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you
put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these
http://tinyurl.com/azkspj

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET writes:

Doesn't anyone wear goggles or face shields over their bifocals?!?
Either is much cheaper.

Well, I use the full face shield for grinding, but I really don't like
looking through the haze. NOt something I'd want to wear all day long
in the shop, and I've been skating on thin ice just using cheap
reading glasses as my safety glasses in the shop. Time do do it
right.

Among the many benefits of taking a welding class a little over a year
ago, being chewed out about wearing safety glasses in the shop enough
times to make it stick is probably of actually greater benefit than
learning a little bit about welding.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:36:31 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

I was up a ladder on a tree - and didn't tie me or the ladder
to the tree - my beloved was helping... rats.

She talks with her hands...

Been there done that (almost)

In a narrow landing, on top of a stepladder looking into a loft space
over a very steep stairwell. The stepladder suddenly felt very wobbly
- looked down and saw the designated 'stepladder holder to stop me
plummeting down the stairs' was nowhere near the stepladder.

The reason given?

........If you fell you might injure me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So now I'll send a question back: I've got a pair of reading glasses
with lenses that are 1/2 inch high (I just measured) and have a metal
tube carrying case, which I bought at Sears. They're obviously
unuseable in the shop, and not as nice as larger lenses in my
office -- but I can put 'em in my pocket and have them available at
meetings. Sears has stopped selling non-prescription readers, and I
haven't found another source. Anybody know of some place I can find
these?

I have seen two versions of these at my local Meijer store.
One comes in a tube as you described and the other one was
similar, compact package, but not a tube. If you want I'll
take a look at them next week and see if I can get an
address and/or website info for you. It would be next
Friday, only go out once a week nowadays ;-)

I'd appreciate that, thanks.

Hi Joe,

I suspect the glasses are all the same, just different
cases. The round version is about 1 inch in diameter and
5-5/8 inch long. Looks like a really fat pen/marker. I'm
pretty sure the case is plastic. Has a pocket clip too. The
round version is $14.99 - Model RF154A-150 (+1.50)

Next is an octagon (sorta, that's what they call it)
version. Same length but more rectangular in nature. Again a
pocket clip. $14.48 - Model MA045A1-ST (+2.50)

Also a plastic case which opens on one end, kinda hard to
describe. $9.99 - Model #444 (+2.00)

And yet another, full length click-open case, rectangular,
similar length. Short strap with snap to keep it closed.
Some sort of phony, leather like material covering it. Had
"Foster Grant" on the tag, the one I opened had the same
"Magnivision" glasses inside like all the rest. I think this
one was ~$14.99 too, didn't write it down. I found it the
least appealing.

I found reference to two websites:

http://www.magnivision.com/

http://www.fgxi.com/

The latter (fgxi) seems to be the parent company of
Magnivision and Foster Grant.

They had other power/diopter too. Just noted the ones that
went with model numbers I wrote down.

This eBay page/link has some pictures of them:

http://shop.ebay.com/sis/_W0QQ_kwZMa...sesQ20WQ2fCase

I poked around their website (Magnivision) and couldn't find
any info on these models...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk writes:

[...]

Thanks! -- the ones I have are in a two-piece metal case, 5 inches
long, cross section is elliptical 5/8" x 7/16". They're smaller than
the ones on the ebay page seem to be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:23:00 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

snip
This eBay page/link has some pictures of them:

http://shop.ebay.com/sis/_W0QQ_kwZMa...sesQ20WQ2fCase

I poked around their website (Magnivision) and couldn't find
any info on these models...

Thanks! -- the ones I have are in a two-piece metal case, 5 inches
long, cross section is elliptical 5/8" x 7/16". They're smaller than
the ones on the ebay page seem to be.

I'm sure none of the choices were that small. The round
version was exactly like the round/pen looking ones on the
eBay page. That eBay seller had them really cheap too. If
he/she could be trusted, that is a pretty good deal.

I noticed one model there that folded in the center:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EYE-ZOOM-FOLDING...em120369552586

A bit unusual and more compact in length, or should be.

Oh well, I tried. At least they still had them. I suspect
that they may be a discontinued model, seeing they had no
info on their website. You may just be out of luck finding
an exact replacement

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

safety glasses/bifocals cj Metalworking 3 November 22nd 07 01:55 AM
Safety 2.25 bifocals Toller Woodworking 20 April 21st 07 04:10 AM
safety glasses Paul Oman Home Repair 11 September 5th 06 07:19 AM
Anti foq safety glasses Mark UK diy 21 February 1st 06 07:34 PM