Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Safety 2.25 bifocals

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

Try them and let us know how it works out.
I just pair $250 for presciption safety glasses; if the $5 ones work out for
you, I will sure feel foolish.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 19, 3:51 pm, SWDeveloper wrote:
I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

Duluth Trading has several styles of safety bifocals from $20-30.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/d...ure=Product_58
(or go to duluthtrading.com and search for cheaters)
I didn't see any 2.25, but they have 2.0 and 2.5. Have you googled
'safety bifocals'?
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19 Apr 2007 13:02:37 -0700, Andy wrote:

On Apr 19, 3:51 pm, SWDeveloper wrote:
I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

Duluth Trading has several styles of safety bifocals from $20-30.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/d...ure=Product_58
(or go to duluthtrading.com and search for cheaters)
I didn't see any 2.25, but they have 2.0 and 2.5. Have you googled
'safety bifocals'?
Andy

Yes, and that my issue. My eye doctor says 2.25 is perfect for
closeup work. He says I could get prescription, but that's not
necessary as both of my eye are nearly the same.

Then 2.0 or 2.5 would be pretty darn good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got a pair of 2.25 bifocal safety glasses at Woodcraft a couple of years
ago for around $15. I've had no complaints about them.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:17:51 -0500, SWDeveloper
wrote:

On 19 Apr 2007 13:02:37 -0700, Andy wrote:

On Apr 19, 3:51 pm, SWDeveloper wrote:
I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

Duluth Trading has several styles of safety bifocals from $20-30.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/d...ure=Product_58
(or go to duluthtrading.com and search for cheaters)
I didn't see any 2.25, but they have 2.0 and 2.5. Have you googled
'safety bifocals'?
Andy

Yes, and that my issue. My eye doctor says 2.25 is perfect for
closeup work. He says I could get prescription, but that's not
necessary as both of my eye are nearly the same.

So get 2.50's. If you're past fifty, they will be OK right now and
just right this time next year.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

Um, it's your eyes. Not a time to go cheap and hope for the best. Go
polycarbonate, which BTY is pretty common these days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

Um, it's your eyes. Not a time to go cheap and hope for the best. Go
polycarbonate, which BTY is pretty common these days.

That's not enough. You need a frame that will actually keep hold of the
lens after an impact

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
That's not enough. You need a frame that will actually keep hold of the
lens after an impact

Yeah, it's called a full face shield. Anybody that thinks safety glasses
(whatever the make) are adequate protection against impact injury is
deluding themselves. There's many other parts of the face to consider.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:16:08 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

Try them and let us know how it works out.
I just pair $250 for presciption safety glasses; if the $5 ones work out for
you, I will sure feel foolish.

My former employer picked up the tab for a pair of OSHA Z28 (or whatever) approved prescription
glasses from Walmart for about $90 in December. I wear them everywhere, including the shop. It's
nice to know that things like birds, ants and grass are not extinct. Made a note to self to not
wait 10 years between eye exams next time.

This getting older really sucks, but it sure beats the alternative.

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:

Yeah, it's called a full face shield. Anybody that thinks safety glasses
(whatever the make) are adequate protection against impact injury is
deluding themselves. There's many other parts of the face to consider.

They are a total PITA, but IMHO, you are right.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
SWDeveloper wrote:

I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

Just bought a pair for DW (for her sewing, she keeps snaping needles)
from CraftSupplies USA for about $15, when I saw an ad for them at under
$10, just can't recall where... Woodcraft or Woodworkers supply, I just
can't recall

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

That's not enough. You need a frame that will actually keep hold of the
lens after an impact

99.999% of the time it is enough. The remainder .0001% of the time its a
50/50 chance that stronger frames or not being in the same room would be
advisable. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

In order to be safety glasses, they MUST be stamped "Z87.1". That
designation means: 1) they have polycarbonate lenses, 2) the frames fully
surround the lens, and 3) the frames can be fitted with side eye shields.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 19, 3:51 pm, SWDeveloper wrote:
I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

Besides being a woodworker, I am also an avid kayaker. Several years
ago, I picked up a pair of stick-on bi-focal lenses from my local big
box drug store and mounted them on some cheap sunglasses. I can see
far OK but not close. These lenses are great. I can now read a chart
on my lap. In the car, I can read the odometer.

I recall the lenses cost about $20. I have dunked myself a few times
and the lenses never came off. They are plastic and you attach them
to the sunglasses by wetting them and pressing them on the inside
surface. If you don't like the position, just peel them off and
reapply.

I don't see why you couldn't attach the lenses to ordinary safety
glasses. When the safety glasses get scratched up, replace them and
transfer the lenses.

HTH,

Bill Leonhardt

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"george" wrote in message

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

In order to be safety glasses, they MUST be stamped "Z87.1".

So, all I have to do is get me one of those stamps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...

"george" wrote in message

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
I'm looking for 2.25 safety glasses for woodworking. Are the cheap
2.25 bifocal glasses ($5 or 10 each) adequate or are the polycarbonate
glasses recommended?

In order to be safety glasses, they MUST be stamped "Z87.1".

So, all I have to do is get me one of those stamps.

Chevrolet can probably order you one of those stamps, Seem like that is the
emblem on one of the Camaro's or Corvett's. You can get Z28, Z81 and Z06
too. The other Z prefixed labels makes the car fast. If you want it to
be indestructible for insurance reasons you order the Z87.1 option. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Leon" wrote in message

Chevrolet can probably order you one of those stamps, Seem like that is

the
emblem on one of the Camaro's or Corvett's. You can get Z28, Z81 and Z06
too. The other Z prefixed labels makes the car fast. If you want it to
be indestructible for insurance reasons you order the Z87.1 option. ;~)

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule George Max Woodworking 256 September 16th 06 06:03 PM
TS Safety Tanus Woodworking 10 April 18th 06 10:02 PM
Eyeglasses - want more than no line bifocals aribert Metalworking 12 October 9th 05 01:38 PM
OT bifocals/varifocals? tarquinlinbin UK diy 30 October 6th 05 12:25 PM
Bifocals Kent Frazier Metalworking 21 March 4th 04 01:43 PM