Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Safety glasses w bifocals

I got winged by my safety glasses -
I wear continuous graded glasses in safety polycarbonate
and wear a fit over type over them.

I was up a ladder on a tree - and didn't tie me or the ladder
to the tree - my beloved was helping... rats.

She talks with her hands...

She turned and pointed that one - and the ladder tilted and
down we went. Chainsaw was shoved to the side and down I went
with the ladder. I went between the A frame and the top leg
bashed me in the glasses. Glasses bashed me in the nose.
Now I can wear Indian paint for a reason!

Martin

Richard J Kinch wrote:
DoN. Nichols writes:

True safety glasses have to pass a test involving a 1" diameter
steel ball being dropped on them from a specific height. This is to
assure that both the lens and the attachment to the frame can handle
the impact.

I don't have much faith in that test.

I have received one eye injury, a corneal laceration, in my working
lifetime. It happened when I leaned over and my safety glasses started
to slip off, and I instinctively pushed them back, and the sharp end of
the temple piece folded in and stabbed me smack in the eye.

However glasses have saved me from injury perhaps twice.

My most recent case was when I got the bright idea of salvaging some
paint out of a spray can with a clogged valve. I thought I'd stick an
awl into the side of the can and squirt the paint into a jar. I looked
like a Dalmation a few milliseconds after that stunt. I keep those
ruined glasses on the shelf as a trophy to my intellect.

So my record is about 2-1 in favor of eye protection. But the ANSI test
is just a test, not a guarantee of performance in the field. They may
or may not save you from your self-imposed hazards.