Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Default Anti foq safety glasses

Hi,

After getting something in my eye at the weekend I really must get
some more safety glasses. I have several different types of glasses
already but I always give up wearing them after about 30 seconds
because they fog up so badly I can see virtually nothing.

Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
treatments, but they are not very effective).

TIA, Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:15:09 +0000, Mark wrote:

Hi,

After getting something in my eye at the weekend I really must get
some more safety glasses. I have several different types of glasses
already but I always give up wearing them after about 30 seconds
because they fog up so badly I can see virtually nothing.

Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
treatments, but they are not very effective).

TIA, Mark

I forgot to mention that they must go over prescription specs.

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mark wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:15:09 +0000, Mark wrote:

Hi,

After getting something in my eye at the weekend I really must get
some more safety glasses. I have several different types of glasses
already but I always give up wearing them after about 30 seconds
because they fog up so badly I can see virtually nothing.

Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
treatments, but they are not very effective).

TIA, Mark

I forgot to mention that they must go over prescription specs.

Mark

I use one of these although I did aquire it from a car boot at £2

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2152&g=120
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Hi,

After getting something in my eye at the weekend I really must get
some more safety glasses. I have several different types of glasses
already but I always give up wearing them after about 30 seconds
because they fog up so badly I can see virtually nothing.

Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
treatments, but they are not very effective).

The standard SCUBA solution is to spit into your mask... However, the
mask needs to be grease free, so wash it first with toothpaste (check
though - it might abrade plastic "glass"!) then spit into it, then rinse
in water. It only works if it's dry before you gob into it though!

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Mark wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:15:09 +0000, Mark wrote:

Hi,

After getting something in my eye at the weekend I really must get
some more safety glasses. I have several different types of glasses
already but I always give up wearing them after about 30 seconds
because they fog up so badly I can see virtually nothing.

I forgot to mention that they must go over prescription specs.

That's probably where the problem lies. Having goggles that fit over
your normal glasses, means that they not only cover over the glasses but
now because they are a further distance from your face, they have to
cover an larger area above and below (for safety). Warm air expelled
from your nose is what's fogging up the lenses, as it is trapped inside
this gigantic shell.

I had exactly this problem using the freebie ones supplied with a garden
strimmer, then I remembered the whereabouts of a prescribed pair I had
made for me years ago for work. Compared to standard 'fashion' glasses,
these were very much cheaper (£30) - in fact I almose felt like buying
these, removing the side guards and wearing them for everyday use.

I wonder, with a current prescription - you might find a cheap (US/HK?)
supply on the net? or maybe you could attach some cardboard ducting for
your nose? (post a picture if you do!)

:-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Mark wrote:
Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
treatments, but they are not very effective).

Somewhere recently I saw a battery-powered helmet contraption with a
visor; a fan drew in air and blew it down inside over your face,
removing the water vapour which causes the fogging. Can't remember
where I saw it though I'm afraid - thought it was Screwfix, but I can't
locate it!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2152&g=120

I use something similar. I've always fancied the next stage up, which is a
"forestry helmet" that uses mesh instead of plastic. No chance whatsoever of
that misting up! (Although it will presumably not be very effective at
eliminating dust).

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh

"Lobster" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
treatments, but they are not very effective).

Somewhere recently I saw a battery-powered helmet contraption with a
visor; a fan drew in air and blew it down inside over your face, removing
the water vapour which causes the fogging. Can't remember where I saw it
though I'm afraid - thought it was Screwfix, but I can't locate it!

David

Yes, while living in Japan some years ago I bought various ski goggles to
fit over my specs. The only pair which didn't fog up had two tiny fans to
expel air (not draw it in), with a small battery fitted into the frame
accordingly. You have reminded me to dig them out of whatever box they are
hiding in, for DIY purposes!

Might be worth googling ski goggle suppliers to see if something similar is
available now in the UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Christian McArdle wrote:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2152&g=120

I use something similar. I've always fancied the next stage up, which is a
"forestry helmet" that uses mesh instead of plastic. No chance whatsoever of
that misting up! (Although it will presumably not be very effective at
eliminating dust).

And entirely useless for stopping small, high-velocity sparks.

I have in the past used an aquarium airpump, some 5mm airtube, poked
into the side of some goggles.
Worked well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:15:09 +0000, Mark wrote:

|Hi,
|
|After getting something in my eye at the weekend I really must get
|some more safety glasses. I have several different types of glasses
|already but I always give up wearing them after about 30 seconds
|because they fog up so badly I can see virtually nothing.
|
|Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
|treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
|treatments, but they are not very effective).

How about some without side pieces, and so have as much ventilation as
normal glasses which steam up rarely. One is normally looking at the
danger so fast moving things normally come from the front. Slow moving
things IME normally only cause pain.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:56:59 GMT, "rrh" wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
[...]

That might be just what I need. I'll have a search around.

Cheers, Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:39:59 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:15:09 +0000, Mark wrote:

|Hi,
|
|After getting something in my eye at the weekend I really must get
|some more safety glasses. I have several different types of glasses
|already but I always give up wearing them after about 30 seconds
|because they fog up so badly I can see virtually nothing.
|
|Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
|treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
|treatments, but they are not very effective).

How about some without side pieces, and so have as much ventilation as
normal glasses which steam up rarely. One is normally looking at the
danger so fast moving things normally come from the front. Slow moving
things IME normally only cause pain.

Unfortunately I was wearing my ordinary glasses and they did steam up.
Frequently I kept having to remove them to clear.

In my case I was not trying to prevent ingress from one direction
(like from a power tool). All I was doing at the weekend was some
wiring and rearranging of boxes in the loft.

Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I use something similar. I've always fancied the next stage up, which is
"forestry helmet" that uses mesh instead of plastic. No chance whatsoever

of
that misting up! (Although it will presumably not be very effective at
eliminating dust).

And entirely useless for stopping small, high-velocity sparks.

Yes, its suitability would certainly depend on the task in hand.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mark wrote:

Unfortunately I was wearing my ordinary glasses and they did steam up.
Frequently I kept having to remove them to clear.

In my case I was not trying to prevent ingress from one direction
(like from a power tool). All I was doing at the weekend was some
wiring and rearranging of boxes in the loft.

Mark.

Maybe you should give up DIY if you need to wear goggles doing electrical
work.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Mark wrote:

Unfortunately I was wearing my ordinary glasses and they did steam up.
Frequently I kept having to remove them to clear.

In my case I was not trying to prevent ingress from one direction
(like from a power tool). All I was doing at the weekend was some
wiring and rearranging of boxes in the loft.

Mark.

Maybe you should give up DIY if you need to wear goggles doing electrical
work.

Dust, dirt and other crap can still fall into your eyes, especially if
working overhead.
Wearing goggles when you don't strictly need to is hardly a bad habit to
get into.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Ian Stirling wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Mark wrote:

Unfortunately I was wearing my ordinary glasses and they did steam
up. Frequently I kept having to remove them to clear.

In my case I was not trying to prevent ingress from one direction
(like from a power tool). All I was doing at the weekend was some
wiring and rearranging of boxes in the loft.

Mark.

Maybe you should give up DIY if you need to wear goggles doing
electrical work.

Dust, dirt and other crap can still fall into your eyes, especially if
working overhead.
Wearing goggles when you don't strictly need to is hardly a bad habit
to get into.

40 years on and I still have my sight and many a time in lofts doing
electrical work.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Mark wrote:
Hi,

After getting something in my eye at the weekend I really must get
some more safety glasses. I have several different types of glasses
already but I always give up wearing them after about 30 seconds
because they fog up so badly I can see virtually nothing.

Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
treatments, but they are not very effective).

There used to be a paste in a small tin you could buy. It was hawked at
various places where lots of people gathered. I never saw it in the shops.

What it did, was to prevent glasses steaming up. I was quite impressed
with it until some one said that ordinary hand soap would do the same thing.

Try a tiny smear of soap on the inside of the goggles.

I assume that the soap prevents condensation by denying the water the
ability to form a globule.

HTH

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Mark wrote:

Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
treatments, but they are not very effective).

Hey Mark.
Have you seen this stuff
http://bobheathvisors.co.uk/accessories.htm
(top left)

Looks like it still comes in the same can it did when I bought some
last. That was....... ahem 20 ahem years ago.

If it can keep a visor condensation free on a frosty winters day I'm
sure some safety specs won't present any problem at all.

Any motorbike shop should have it.

HTH
Pete

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:37:05 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"
wrote:

Mark wrote:

Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
treatments, but they are not very effective).

Hey Mark.
Have you seen this stuff
http://bobheathvisors.co.uk/accessories.htm
(top left)

Yes. I've used this on my visor for years. However I have found it
only of limited use on glasses/goggles.

Looks like it still comes in the same can it did when I bought some
last. That was....... ahem 20 ahem years ago.

:-)

If it can keep a visor condensation free on a frosty winters day I'm
sure some safety specs won't present any problem at all.

Any motorbike shop should have it.

I already spend too much time in those ;-)

Cheers, Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geoffrey

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:23:30 +0000 (UTC), Dave
wrote:

Mark wrote:
Hi,

After getting something in my eye at the weekend I really must get
some more safety glasses. I have several different types of glasses
already but I always give up wearing them after about 30 seconds
because they fog up so badly I can see virtually nothing.

Can anyone recommend any safety specs that do not fog up? (I've tried
treating the glasses with washing up liquid and various anti fog
treatments, but they are not very effective).

There used to be a paste in a small tin you could buy. It was hawked at
various places where lots of people gathered. I never saw it in the shops.

Mista Bright? I have some somewhere - works brilliantly on glass (e.g.
specs and bathroom mirrors). Only place I've ever seen it is at the
Ideal Home Exhibition.

--
Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

wrote:

There used to be a paste in a small tin you could buy. It was hawked at
various places where lots of people gathered. I never saw it in the shops.

Mista Bright? I have some somewhere - works brilliantly on glass (e.g.
specs and bathroom mirrors). Only place I've ever seen it is at the
Ideal Home Exhibition.

That sounds about right, including the place that was trying to sell it.

Dave