Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Battery question

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas fired this volley in
news
My grandkids have an electric atv. The battery is kaflooey, and I
need to get another. It is a 12v. 8ah, and says cautions on battery
acid. So, apparently, it is an acid battery. It is pretty much
sealed. It is approx. 2.5"w x 4"h x 6"l. I was wondering if I

could
just get a battery like is used in atvs or motorcycles or such and

use
that, giving it more riding time. These can be put in two at a time
if properly connected. Not sure + to - or + to +, but the

directions
will have that. Do you think that would be too much battery?

Steve

You can get 12v motorcycle batteries in the 20Ah range. They might
not fit exactly in the hole you have, but would be interchangable in
terms of voltage, and would last twice as long as what you have.

If you're using multiple batteries, and they're all 12V types, put
them in parallel. That is, put - to - and + to +.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Only *sealed* lead acid SLA or gel-cell types should be used.

You might end up with acid burns on the kiddies if you use a battery for
utility equipment.

Additionally, using a liquid electrolyte battery will tend to leave a thin
film of the acid around the battery from charging.

Gelled electrolyte and SLA batteries are available from numerous sources.
Any of those battery-store type places should be able to get you a new safe
battery quickly.

I haven't looked, but I would guess that some stores that sell the little
electric vehicles for children would have kid-safe batteries.

Aside from those two sources, many online battery suppliers have SLA gel
type batteries in numerous capacity ratings.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
news
My grandkids have an electric atv. The battery is kaflooey, and I need to
get another. It is a 12v. 8ah, and says cautions on battery acid. So,
apparently, it is an acid battery. It is pretty much sealed. It is
approx. 2.5"w x 4"h x 6"l. I was wondering if I could just get a battery
like is used in atvs or motorcycles or such and use that, giving it more
riding time. These can be put in two at a time if properly connected.
Not sure + to - or + to +, but the directions will have that. Do you
think that would be too much battery?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:01:22 -0600, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't use a motorcycle battery. That's got motor-starter technology
(i.e., high cold cranking amps, but don't like to be discharged as much
as a "deep-cycle" battery, like marine, RV, golf cart, etc.) These are
designed to be charged then maintain a constant discharge until they're
empty, at which time you swap them out for the ones that have been on the
charger since the last swap, or either just set the toy aside and plug it
in to charge overnight or whatever.

And yes, to maintain the same voltage but double the amp-hrs, put two
in parallel: + to + to +, and - to - to -.

If it wants 12V, and you have 6V batteries, you'd put them in series -
i.e. negative of one 6V battery to negative of the device, positive of
that battery to the negative of the other 6V battery, and positive
of it to positive of the device.

Have Fun!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My son and his young daughter are big time into this. They've turned
Barbie jeeps into 4 wheel drive monsters. The multiple battery thing
can lead to cooking the motors or controls just because you CAN run them
for longer than design times between charges. If your machine has an
overtemp cutout, you may be okay in putting multiple batteries in there,
but don't be surprised if the young'un still has to sit around while the
circuitry cools.

I, too, would stick with gel cells designed for deep cycle operation,
unless you think this is a short lived fad for the kids.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------

SteveB wrote:
My grandkids have an electric atv. The battery is kaflooey, and I need to
get another. It is a 12v. 8ah, and says cautions on battery acid. So,
apparently, it is an acid battery. It is pretty much sealed. It is approx.
2.5"w x 4"h x 6"l. I was wondering if I could just get a battery like is
used in atvs or motorcycles or such and use that, giving it more riding
time. These can be put in two at a time if properly connected. Not sure +
to - or + to +, but the directions will have that. Do you think that would
be too much battery?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[...]

DO NOT use flooded acid cells on a kid's toy.
NEVER.
AGM batteries for that application are common, readily available, and
relatively cheap. They are also leak-proof and safe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
My son and his young daughter are big time into this. They've turned
Barbie jeeps into 4 wheel drive monsters. The multiple battery thing can
lead to cooking the motors or controls just because you CAN run them for
longer than design times between charges. If your machine has an overtemp
cutout, you may be okay in putting multiple batteries in there, but don't
be surprised if the young'un still has to sit around while the circuitry
cools.

I, too, would stick with gel cells designed for deep cycle operation,
unless you think this is a short lived fad for the kids.

Pete Stanaitis

I pulled the old battery, and got on the phone. I am off tomorrow to buy an
identical replacement. When the original was fully charged, it ran for most
of the day, even longer than the attention span of my grandsons.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
My grandkids have an electric atv. The battery is kaflooey, and I need to
get another. It is a 12v. 8ah, and says cautions on battery acid. So,
apparently, it is an acid battery. It is pretty much sealed. It is approx.
2.5"w x 4"h x 6"l. I was wondering if I could just get a battery like is
used in atvs or motorcycles or such and use that, giving it more riding
time. These can be put in two at a time if properly connected. Not sure +
to - or + to +, but the directions will have that. Do you think that would
be too much battery?

Steve

If you buy 6V units, tie the positive of one to the negative of the
other. That leaves one positive and one negative left- these are the +
and - of the "new" battery. That is, they are connected in series.

If you buy 12 volt battery, rather than two smaller ones in parallel,
just buy one with more amp hours. It will be cheaper and take up less space.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve,
the type of battery your looking for a AGM (acid glass matt), also known as
a starved electrolytic battery. These are designed to provide great service
until they are discharged. These batteries will last between 100 and 300
charges, depending on how you treat them. The secret is to get them on the
charger as soon as the kids are done driving or the batteries die!!! dont
let them sit for any length of time, before you start to recharge them!!!!!!

just my two cents...

bob in phx.