Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

Default 12V dry battery question

"Bart Bervoets" wrote in message
I want to charge a 12V lead cell as used in security systems
in my car to use with an inverter.
I want to feed it a constant charge to allow the battery to
be full all the time.
Do i need to build a special charge circuit or will a
diode in front be sufficient to stop reverse flow to my car
battery?

Bart Bervoets

'probably' your best bet would be to install a "DBI" (dual battery
isolator).

this is a solid state device that is basically a bridge rectifier. diodes
steer the charging currents to the batteries and tell the regulator when to
kick in.

IME this works best when the 2 batteries are closely matched as to capacity.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
budgie

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:01:07 +0200, "Bart Bervoets" wrote:

I want to charge a 12V lead cell as used in security systems
in my car to use with an inverter.
I want to feed it a constant charge to allow the battery to
be full all the time.
Do i need to build a special charge circuit or will a
diode in front be sufficient to stop reverse flow to my car
battery?

There is a kit available in Australia for an automotive charger for sealed lead
acid batteries. It uses a switchmode DC-DC converter to step up the output so
that an adequate (and controlled) charge will result for variable input voltage.
Highly recommend you go this route.

battery question SteveB Metalworking 5 December 11th 05 04:09 PM
Simple Battery question ? Ian Electronics 3 November 25th 05 05:19 PM
Sony Clie TJ27 - battery problem Mark Electronics Repair 0 July 7th 05 02:31 AM
Battery charger design for security system Lenny Electronics Repair 2 April 5th 04 02:26 AM
Why Won't a Frozen Battery Start a Vehicle. Denny B Electronics Repair 9 February 17th 04 04:42 AM